Some concerns about how legit my seeds are.

So I was watching this video and It kinda brings up a lot of concerns. Like how do we know if anything is legit or the strain its suppose to be.Like this is a Genetics company sayin this. Is there anywhere that those of us who cant afford hundreds on seeds can trust to at least get the the Strain we think we are getting? Like according to this dude, you might not even be getting the strains you order at all let alone the fact that they are copying strains. The worst part is, Some of them he touches on are companies that I have saw listed as trusted. If you reply im not ignoring you, I guess I reached a reply limit since I am new, all i can do is edit and post.

I am extremely Poor, and MOST of the companies he lists in this video are the ones with the most reasonable seed prices. How can someone who does not have hundreds of dollars to spend, even be sure they get the genetics they thought they were ordering when they can not afford the cost of going straight to a breeder? Like even the few times a year I get some cash, I cant afford 60 bucks for a seed pack. I cant afford 10+ per bean. IS there any seed resellers out there that can be trusted? At this point I am serously wondering. Like I ordered from NASC because I was told they are a trusted seed bank, and yet they are in the video. I ordered Mexican Red Hair Sativa, how can I even be sure that I got what I ordered since the strain came from A second company that was in the video Blimburn.

5 Likes

The white label seed discussion. There are some companies out there buying white label seeds in bulk for cheap and then packaging them up in their own branded packs with whatever hype names seem to fit the buds that the seeds will probably grow.

They are not always mislabeled and not all of the companies that Darkhorse lists are one that I’d consider “bad” or even misleading. NASC is a reputable seed bank, but really at any seed bank its the reputation of the specific breeder that is more important in this discussion.

My recommendation is to use sites think this one to research strains you are interested in and then track down the original breeder of that strain to know its legit. Alternatively, find someone who you trust that has made a good reproduction of the strain you want from the original genetics.

Also, while the white label seeds may not be 100% accurate on their ancestry, they can still be perfectly good smoke. Just don’t plan on using white label seeds to start your own breeding program and perpetuate the whole cycle of “grey area” white label genetics. I’ve grown out Darkhorse Original Bruce Banner at $100/pack. Didn’t, yet, find a BB#3 pheno, but the smoke was still good. I’ve also grown white label “Amnesia Lemon Haze” from Linda Seeds and for an auto it was good smoke and only like $10 for pack of 5 fems (not including shipping). It was good enough that I got two more photo fems (Tropicanna cookies) from Linda Seeds going right now and they are stacking up and getting frosty.

To each their own, but I’m perfectly fine trying cheap seeds next to expensive seeds in my tent. I just don’t plan on making seeds from the white label stuff unless I have grown it and it was good enough to save a cutting from.

Don’t forget, when seeds are expensive and money is tight, clones and males from reg seeds can be quite useful in letting you make your own seeds for cheap.

Finally, some of the best genetics out there orginated from unknown bag seed. Stuff like Chem 91 was a random bag seed of unknown origin from some nugs bought at a Dead show

17 Likes

Sounds like a case for @JohnnyPotseed

Johnny Potseed's Hall of Genetics - #3476 :+1:

15 Likes

Linda Seeds are kinda my neighbours and i would NOT buy from them. Edit: If you want to try out a specific strain.
Just for cheap weed, they’re not so bad.

You can make seeds for them and get 1ct per seeds and then the make from one batch of seeds 5 different strains :grin:
So you’ll never know what you get.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, you have to be in the know and understand what to look for with these shady companies. you have come to the right place to be pointed in the right direction. As far as not being able to afford seed, yiu are also in the right place. Don’t give those companies your monies. People on this site are very generous and knowledgeable. Better off hanging around, getting to know people here and grow out beans from pollen chuckers and breeders on this forum than giving those rip off artists and white label companies anything. If you don’t care what you are growing those companies can work but they are highly unethical and should be avoided . I grew a bunch of crop king about 6 years ago as I was a vendor and wanted to be able to recommend stuff to people, turns out I couldn’t recommend them to anyone.I actually did find a couple nice plants but they did not resemble anything close to the real cuts I grew. It’s the ethics behind these companies that did it for me. Plenty of quality breeders out there that don’t price gauge. If ever you need to ask a question about a seed company yiu are unsure about feel free to shoot me a dm. Like I said before, you’re in the right place, great community here that looks out for eachother. What cultivars are you interested in growing? One thing you should always try to do is go direct to the breeder whenever possible but that being said their are some very good and reputable breeders that have created their own seed companies to buy from. Ask and you shall receive

11 Likes

@Ace71975 This has been my experience since joining OG as well, a lot of knowledge and great seeds shared around here for free!!

Stick around and you’ll see some seeds made on here and passed around are just as good as packs that cost upwards of $100…

This industry is getting very scammy these days and like was already said by @GreenHighland if unsure about a breeder or seedbank ask here on OG and you’ll get honest feedback not BS trying to get you to spend money, actually it’s the opposite! Many members on here will point you in the right direction to avoid putting money in the wrong peoples pockets!

15 Likes

New grower here too and while I prefer growing specifically for my anxiety and some neuropathy pain, I am also on a very limited income. Since starting growing last may, I soon learned that small batch breeders often offer tester packs that fantastic deals. You’re choices will be limited to what they’re offering but maybe with some research into the strain crosses they’re making you can find a compromise that doesn’t really feel like a compromise. I don’t know the etiquette for sharing links and I don’t want to get in trouble for it but one that I have seen mentioned often here is Grimm Brothers.

3 Likes

Sharing links is all good @JerBear

1 Like

Bohdi packs are about 45 bucks everywhere, and he is among the best breeders in the game. Humboldt CSI may not have the cheapest beans, but you get crazy freebies, and his library of fems is insane. AG seed co has some classic strains for 50 a pack, with crazy good deals popping up all the time.

At the end of the day, its buyer beware. All seeds are not created equal,.

11 Likes

Spend the cash or go in with a friend to pick up some good seeds and then make more seeds. One seed run can produce more seed then you will ever grow.

25 Likes

There’s a thread around here about trust worthy vendors.

I have been gifted the best strains I have ever grown from other gardeners .

1 Like

I have a List Of Them that I would love to find an Autoflower version of them. I understand that an auto wouldnt be the “true” Genetics, but I am good if its the true genetics crossed with ruderralis. Here are the ones I really want to grow only in Auto flower verisons:

1)Jack Herer
2)Durban Poison
3)White Widow
4)Super Silver Haze
5)acapulco gold
6)Sour Diesel
7)Purple Thai strain
8 )Green Crack
9)Lemon Haze Strain
10)colombian red dot
11)colombian gold
12)Purple Haze
13)Lamb’s Bread
14)Hindu Kush
15)Panama Red
16)Thai Stick Strain
17)Crystal M.E.T.H

Like Doug metioned, these are plants! You can make more seeds yourself!
Blaming others and getting paranoid, it doesn’t help anyone.
We are all creators of our own lives.
Create more seeds.
Easy.

8 Likes

Only wanting autoflower but want the Strain that it’s supposed to be sounds like an oxymoron to me.

7 Likes

Auto sativas is trying to have your cake and eat it to, it just doesn’t work that way, or at least I have never heard or seen it.

Autos with classic strain names tagged with “auto” is just predatory marketing.

7 Likes

coming from maybe what some would consider a longer time auto grower, the strains your looking for in auto format first if available would be just a tribute in a sense to a photo strain as the amount of work required to try and cross breed and pair down to have something almost the same as the original strain is ALOT of work and or just plants you have to run through.

Of the list there are some supposed white widow, ssh, diesel, green crack,DP, and HK in auto format possibly floating around now how close they are to the original strain i couldn’t tell you.

Now if your interested in say growing some autos with no pre determinations on what they are, hit me up with a DM and i can send some your way to play with.

10 Likes

When I say that I mean, for example, when I order acapulco gold auto, I want to know that it is actually acapulco gold x Ruderalis not some generic strain that may not even have any acapulco gold genetics.

I get that if you want an auto it has to be crossed with ruderalis and I am totally ok with that, as long as I know the cross has the original genetics in it.

1 Like

Well thats the thing unless one gene samples the genetics your only going on what has been said that it is, cause really how often something has been mislabeled, a different seed has slipped in or clone, or just people calling something other than what it is for name sake is very common and then it gets lost in translation as well people shorten names or only remember some or are going off what their buddy says it is.

The way i look at it is treat the plants as plants and judge them based on your own personal metric, the names or profiles of what seed vendors list is just a guideline or a suggestion as how it may turn out just cause how you grow vs someone else can change the end result, and thats assuming it is what it is which alot arent.

3 Likes

You might want to consider some landrace autos like Moroccan, Lebanese, Turkish, etc

4 Likes

Don’t need to be rich, for example Sacred Cut has been have a $25 pack sale and they are legit…so long as you don’t mind Cookies since alot of their gear is based on some sort of cookies one way or another.

That’s just one example.

2 Likes