Experiences - growing in rockwool

Who grows in rockwool what are some of your exp with it

2 Likes

Keep your reservoirs cool. Dont let nutrient solution get to warm.check drip line regulars.

2 Likes

I only use rockwool for cloning and vegetating small plants which are then moved to other medium.

I buffer RW in low pH water before use.

I prefer cocos lately cause I like that it holds slightly less water and how fast it dries out.

@Skybound is using rockwool minicubes veg to harvest, checkout his topic:

2 Likes

1" Grodan rockwool for cuttings. Then they’re into something less expensive when rooted.

1 Like

I do Sometimes :wink:

1 Like

Seems to be working for me so far i like how i dont have to mess with dirtjor anythi NH like that seems to be forgiving an easy to work with its defitnatly working for me need to get me a coco mat tho

1 Like

I pay about $25 for 2 cubic feet of mini cubes (aka croutons) online before shipping. The media is a PITA when dry as the croutons are almost lighter than air and tend to show up in the weirdest places. That aside though, it’s awesome growing in. The croutons are very airy despite how much water in the root zone at a given moment in time. This prevents over watering (within reason). During bloom, I water 5 times during lights on, each for 10-15 minutes. During power outages, the plant doesn’t wilt for about 3 days so there is plenty of flexibility there. As a side note, I veg for 10+ weeks and use a lot of beneficial bacteria and bloom under 600w HID, but I average a dry pound per harvest so there’s that.

RW aside though, I think I’d get the same results from perlite, but if the power ever dipped for more than a day, or I neglected to plug a pump back in, that plant would be a gonner.

1 Like

Croutons so you use tge lil cubes in the pots? Instead of like a big cube or slab?

I read your article but my phone is shit would take forever to load your videos awsome journal other than that good looking plants

I’ve been using rockwool slabs for about 20 years and the worst part is finding some place to throw it away. That stuff does not break down.

What is nice about it is the way it drains but leaves some moisture there. I set up my irrigation for 15 minutes every 2 hours.

I clone into a 1" cube and then once they root, into a 4" cube.

I would like to try putting the 4" cube on some ceramic pellets in the tray or something else. Not sure if I like how the coco fiber drains so fast.

Started using Advance Nutrients instead of GH. Technology has change so much. Hard to keep up.

1 Like

No, but if you shred it, it eventually works into a compost pile and absorbs nutrients. Leave it in your garden. It doesn’t hurt.

1 Like

That’s not a bad idea. I will try that.

But one thing to remember for anyone that may want to try that is to wear a dust mask and throwaway gloves.

Yea true im setting up a table where im putting expanded clay or perlight in the bottom with some batting in the very bottom for a makeshit nft feel free to post pics etc here do you like the 1" for clonning i just bought some usually use the 2.5

If the clones are big enough, the 1" is almost a challenge. But I prefer the smallest possible block because I set them in soil shortly after I make the cuts. Seems to work for me.

1 Like

Yea thats what i was thinking the 1" are for to set in another media super fast idk we will see wgat happens

1 Like

I just wrote a nice paragraph in another THREAD about using Croutons, but here’s the pics I shared.

1 Like

Those are nice man an yes everyone im still alive