Best medium for clones

So Rapid rooter or plain rockwool for making clones?

6 Likes

Pretty hard to beat rockwool unless cost is a factor, but then you’re not using rapid rooters either. All preference and whatever works for your setup.

3 Likes

I use and like the Root Riot plugs.

8 Likes

It’s truly a personal choice, they both work great. Knowing lots of growers who use the plugs, I have seen a few times when the plugs have arrived in various states of moistness – which decreases their effectiveness – and I have also heard of bad batches popping up here and there. Let’s just say that they each have their own separate learning curve :sweat_smile: I have been using rockwool since the early 90’s and buy the grodan 3" cubes (which I use for both rooting 4x cuts at a time and also use as the first transplant stage) by the case and so I am biased :nerd_face:

That said, I would go with the rockwool :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This is a half a smart assed answer but I believe true:

No medium at all. Bubble cloner works well for me and while I use hydroton in it it’s really not required.

:+1:

8 Likes

I’ve had better luck with Root Riot plugs than I have with rockwool cubes but they both are popular. I put my snip in a Root Riot and then toss them in a Solo cup with a Ziploc bag over the top to act like the humidity dome. Then I just toss them under the canopy of whatever I’m vegging so they get low light levels. I have an aeroponic cloning bucket but the Solo cup way is a lot easier than setting up the cloner.

16 Likes

My best results come from jiffy peat pods in potting soil California cup style. Once rooted transfer to coco

4 Likes

Perlite also works well

4 Likes

Ive used both. I preferred rockwool, but like Foreigner found a bubble cloner works the best.
:100:

6 Likes

Ya can’t beat the simplicity of that. :100:

2 Likes

For the few clones I take, tops after topping, peat pellets and clonex do the trick. Then like @Cybersmib does it.

2 Likes

Neither! Strait into whatever your gonna be growing in. lol

I slap a little clonex gel onto my cuts and straight into coco in a 12oz cup that has been watered in with microbes. I’ve had excellent results this way.

4 Likes

Well now, that’s simple, I’m going to have to try that

1 Like

I often use straight perlite myself. Seems to keep things a bit drier which overall is better to avoid root disease and promote callus development. Usually I use rockwool cubes for seeds and straight perlite for clones.

3 Likes

Healthy looking roots. FirstCav I think you have cloning skills beyond deciding what you put the cutting in

I use eazy plugs Which are small cubes made from cocoa fibre. I like to use small cubes because they don’t hang and too much moisture whilst the roots are forming

2 Likes

I just started using a new rooting powder and even though I still get the same success rate, it puts out a ton more roots than the Clonex gel I used to use or Great White. It’s Hormex number 8 and a member here suggested it.

4 Likes

I was just talking to the local grow shop guy about rooting compounds, Hormex is interesting because it comes in different strengths, that one is crazy strong he said the #3 is the same as Clonex, I decided to try Techniflora gel because he said it has the most IBA and the gel works really well to coat cuts with, I will see!

4 Likes