Extended darkness before harvest

A long time ago i read somewhere if you let the plant in the dark for 2 days, the thc increases? someone knows?

1 Like

I’ve always wondered about the opposite. Leaving the plant in the light for two full days before one final twelve hour dark period and then chopping first thing in the morning.
Plants know how long night usually lasts and use up their daily sugar reserves just in time for morning. So by putting them in the dark for two days they run out of sugar at the quarter mark, and starve for thirty six hours. I can’t wrap my head around the idea that starvation will increase production of anything.
My thought is that adding extra light at the end will increase metabolism and pump out whatever energy is left before senescence finishes.

(Now we just need a third party to argue that the consistency offered by 12/12 produces the best final product, and we’ll have ourselves a thread!)

I normally turn the lights out 1-2 days before harvest. Not for added trichs tho. In my thinking I’m forcing the plant to use up what nutrient reserves it has stored and making a smoother smoke in the end.

I have heard a few old timers around these parts say that it forces the plant to produce “all” possible terpenes, etc.

I have always wanted to keep them happy until they take no more. Wonder what the difference is??

I’ve tried it with lights off for two days a couple times and didn’t notice any difference. That being said I have had a few THC BOMB 5 week ball chuckers (My Fault on that one) I ripped the nuts off and and banished to another area without light for a week and a half to two weeks (I forgot them). They did change a lot hairs went from mixed white to full on red/brown, crystal increased and plants reeked and where very greasy.

FYI the plants had been watered about two days before being removed and when I found them they had started to wilt but leaves were not right down or anything.

1 Like

If this is effective wouldn’t you think it would be even better to do it more often? A 12/24 light cycle for the last week? It would probably delay harvest a week.

I’ve always heard that plants push built up toxins/nutrients to their roots during night cycle. My last grow I was impatient to start trimming and cut them down only 5 hrs into night cycle. I def noticed a dif but if that’s the cause 4sure idk. On the flipside i’ve missed a small branch be4 and 3 days later snagged it to cure. That bud by far was the worst smoke i’ve had. My theory is at night plant’s push excess to roots. Then with a prolonged night cycle freak out pulling everything they can back up to the plant. To prepare for light cycle it knows should be coming. When it doesn’t come it can’t use the excess without light to process it and taste is affected. Also me just being curious i’ve ate roots b4 whatever is in them I def don’t want in my bud