Do you have rules about when you cut your plant down?

• Cut in dark only after 12+ hours darkness
  • Cut whenever I have time
  • I didn’t know it mattered

0 voters

5 Likes

Whenever for me, I don’t think it makes a huge difference. I like the pots to be pretty much dry when I chop, give the dry time a little headstart lol

6 Likes

I voted but the only rule I have is a 12 pk of mill st organic must be cold and within a 10 ft radius

9 Likes

As a retired Chef I tend towards harvesting always first thing in the morning hours no different than with any other herb…

6 Likes

If you’re harvesting healthy flowering plants, I don’t think it would matter much either way. Maybe there’d be less sugars in the flowers at the end of the dark cycle, and therefore have a slightly easier cure. But I can’t imagine it would make a significant difference compared to proper drying/curing technique.

3 Likes

My rule is any scissor hash is mine don’t matter how many pairs are getting used ! And if you trim nice I’ll share .

3 Likes

I only chop alone, usually on a Monday and never before a cup of tea.

7 Likes

I cut it when she tells me she’s ready, swollen calyxes ,receding pistils and trichomes are just a few ways to tell … for me anytime is the right time to Harvest.

7 Likes

You misspelled Mill St stock ale :thinking:

1 Like

Indoors I always cut in the dark after 12+ hours darkness.
Outdoors I don’t cut in the dark but I do cut in the morning if there’s no dew. If it’s wet I’ll wait till it’s dry.
The science makes sense to me but I’m sure the difference is minor if any.
Some friends do a couple days of darkness and say they get increased frost. I’ve never seen it make a difference myself.

4 Likes

I cut in the dark, but dont worry about the 12 hour deal. Usually a minimum of 2 hours is good. I’ve seen no difference between 6-48 hours of darkness…

5 Likes

Alright, what’s cutting it down in the dark supposed to do? You gotta sneak up on it or something?

8 Likes

Some theorize that cutting it in the dark while the stomata are closed preserves some terpenes etc…once the lights come on and things warm up the volatile terps start evaporating…
Now wether this is bro science or actual science, I don’t know…

5 Likes

Not only that, but the plant moves sugars from the leaves to the roots during the dark cycle. This, in theory, means less sugar in the leaves and a smoother smoke.

8 Likes

According to this dude, you don’t have to put em in the dark, just remove the red from the spectrum for 72 hours before harvest.

6 Likes

Something about harvesting in peak heat time that I don’t like, I feel like the plant collapses fast. I also tend to harvest first thing in the morning just like most other veggies and herbs

5 Likes

I generally put the plant in hydric stress, 3-4 days before the planned harvest, to improve the drying stage.

It’s pretty rare but sometimes i dry a couple of hazes “on site”, without cutting them, to directly roll blunts from the plant with them and let them “dynamically” dry/cure rolled in a corner for a time.

5 Likes

I was not aware other herbs were taken this way. I do notice the smell on the flowers first thing as they anticipate the lights. That is when I like to harvest them.

3 Likes

Yes just as the herbalist believe in the medicine being most potent in the morning hours. I can testify to culinary herbs being best harvested in the morning for flavors and best long term storage after drying in a cool dark moderately humid area. I feel no different with this when I harvest my plants and allow the flowers to dry the same way - nice and slowly retaining the volatile terpene compounds that tend to dissipate with heat. Does this really make a difference? Probably not for the typical growers following the paradigm that most follow - chop, dry till stem snaps and jar and burp. I have been working with tobacco and culinary herbs for just as long as cannabis and I am very adamant about what works out best for me and I have always tried the different ways and methods never being content with the outcome.

Walk in peace :v:

3 Likes

Thanks for this Diggy…
I always thank the poor gaffer, before I chop her. To show thanks, so to speak.

K.

2 Likes