Genetics Explained

I am a new to growing and read this site extensively. I would like to understand the terminology of seeds.
I read about S1, S2, F1 etc. I’ve read about someone breeding S1s. I assume S1 or F1 are better than 2s. I would really appreciate some knowledge in this area.

3 Likes

F1, F2, S1 – What do They Mean for Your Weed? - The #1 Cannabis Blog | MSNL Seed Bank. :v:

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. I didn’t realise that msnl has so much info too. All my genetics are from msnl.
I’m on my first run with Fem. Stardawg, starting to flower. Took 4 clones that seem to be rooting nicely. I’m going to read some more. Will post questions as they arise.

3 Likes

If you need answers to breeding, backcrossing etc give @ReikoX or @Mr.Sparkle a shout. It’s a PITA to understand correctly if you ask me but there are plenty of folk here on OG that have this stuff down. :+1::v:

8 Likes

I know I constantly talk about the PotCast, but check it out! Long form interviews with the best breeders in the game; genetics, male selections, history of strains. Heavy Dayze is the host and does a great job letting these guys talk instead of interrupting and talking over people like some of the other podcasts.

The Pot Cast The Pot Cast - Google Search

8 Likes

This realy depends on what you hope to find in the beans you grow. Sometimes what you want is the first pairing between two unique plants , sometimes what you want is the stabilized result of that pairing , learning the differences between those things and what leads to them along with doing some research on the breeder and peoples experiences with there gear will save you tons of money and time in the long run.
One is not necessarily better then the other but one may be better suited to your situation and expectations.

5 Likes