Gibberellins (ga3) + cytokinins (kinetin) = franken bonsai mom?

has anyone played around with inducing backbudding using a combination of gibrillians (GA3) and cytokins (kinetin)? i found this was relatively common with the fruit tree community.

I have this one mother that goes crazy with backbudding whenever I pinch it heavily. she becomes a literal microbush. It’s really convenient because it always gives me lower buds to work with when I prune.Then there are those other cuts that tend to grow tall without backbudding. Much harder to maintain.

By accident, I revegged one of my tall stretching plants and noticed that it started growing like the bushy one! This got me thinking that maybe I can encourage this behavior intentionally. I read that revegging releases a lot of gibrillians, which are responsible for causing the bushy growth.

I have access to giberillic acid (GA3) and kinetin, both of which are plant hormones. I’m planning to spray a low dose combination of these hormones on fresh clones to see if it makes them explode with gnarled growth. From there, I will heavily prune and train them.

Do you think this idea is reasonable?

2 Likes

to much ga3 is going to leave you with a stretched out mess.cytokinetins prevent or slow root growth too. this is going to be a balancing act.

3 Likes

depends on what you want to achive, i would say! To develop new processes never hurts! And it can be lot of fun! :slight_smile: but to grow some nice bonsai moms, i think it is not really required. but sure a intressting field that could be researched. :))

That explains the shrub of a reveg in my tent. :rofl:

Ta!

:v:

2 Likes

I experimented with GA3 in an attempt to sprout some really old landrace sativa seeds. What I found was that high concentrations caused them to sprout but the resulting plants were not viable.

Only the lowest level, (50ppm I think) produced plants that survived and even they were stunted and unhappy.

So, “Franken Bonsai” is a likely outcome…

1 Like

i have a few extra clones i dont care about so we will see. the goal is uncertain, im mostly just curious if its possible to create that insane bushing effect with hormones. in my mind that would provide for as easy mechanism to prep a young clone to be a perfect bonsai mom. the hormones are likely to take weeks if not months to fully burn off. thats entirely ok, i see it as an investment in their structure.

this is probably a terrible idea but ive got some free time so why not

1 Like

If you take clones in flower you get crazy bushing.

how bushy depends on how long into flowering you take the clones.

_20221216_172808|387x500

3 Likes

Don’t think hormones use on consumable material is a great idea. Some are carcinogenic. Clone or seed is fine as the chemical is used up by the time you harvest.

2 Likes

GA3 can be used to reverse female plants, tho sts is more effective. It’ll also massively exaggerate the node spacing giving huge plants with little leaf matter. Don’t think that’s gonna be the way to bonsai :thinking:

3 Likes

update: clones planted in coir. solution jars prepared
here is an example of a plant that i am trying to emulate. this is double dream. she was not revegged, this is entirely due to pinching back

contrast that to this other cut i maintain that refuses to stay short no matter how i prune

anyhow. tonight i planted the clones. they look healthy enough. used pure sterilized coir (15psi for 35m)

here are the hormones i will be using. cheap alibaba garbage. yay

i spent way too long making labels for these bottles. tomorrow i will prepare the solutions and spray the plants

3 Likes

Cool show…
What strength solution are you using and how often?
how do you apply it, to the roots or as a spray?
I see the kinetin is 30%
I see now it says 30g, do you know what percentage the kinetin is?
What % is the GA?
What did you use to dissolve the hormones?

Any updates?

1 Like

im a goofball and got waaay ahead of myself. totally forgot about this thread and did not document this.
i did end up spraying a few cuts and babying them for awhile but im going through a remodel right now and didnt have the space to properly document their progress growing out.

i dont believe this worked as expected or my preparations were wildly off. the. kinetin sprayed cuts showed a bit of improved vigor, something ill explore when i can again the gibberellian sprayed plants though… just froze. i kept them for like a month and in that time they stayed essentially the same size and aesthetically was doing nothing. ill absolutely try this again but it didnt work as i expected thats for sure

1 Like

Thank you for the response. :heart_eyes:

This may have been too much Kinetin.
I have done this exact thing before.
Crazy fast growth is what should be expected when Gibberellic acid is used.

Maybe try some auxin mixed with the Kinetin next time.
I started a thread about hormones if you are interested.

Peace
Shag