Got.a question about STS

How are the clouds OG?

Quick run down, I’m selfing an auto and am using STS to flip part of her. A while back I mixed my solutions, kept them separate, in amber bottles and kept in the dark. Well, my silver nitrate solution turned dark. Is it still viable? It is not mixed with the sodium thiosulfate.

2 Likes

Its bad, toss it out.

4 Likes

@darkillusion , what turns it dark ?

1 Like

Time, the STS chemicals have a very short shelf live once it is mixed with water.

4 Likes

Thankyou @darkillusion

: )

1 Like

Very interesting, thx @darkillusion.

Does that apply to the unmixed components of STS, or to the final sprayable product?

I have personally had success with the Omega Genetix STS retail STS product after it had been stored refrigerated and dark for nine months.

Not refuting your claim here, just wondering if STS has a longer viability once it has been mixed and ready for use?

2 Likes

I’ve had luck with the separate stock solutions holding for a year in the refrigerator. Mixed together and stored in the refrigerator the mixture did darken after a few months but was still viable. I ended up mixing new from the stock solutions before I found the limit of the already mixed STS.

2 Likes

Unmixed component can last a long time. But once mixed STS has around a 6 week shelf life, but moisture and UV will degrade mixed STS. Always a good idea to only mix just what you need.

2 Likes

I thought that was all I was mixing up, but when you’re only treating a couple branches on one plant there aren’t that many recipes for micro batches. So I mixed up 100 ml of either solution dilute complete mix to a 4:1 ratio which left me with 80 ml of silver nitrate solution and 0 thiosulfate. So I thought I’d just save it and try again when I’m ready. Good thing I have plenty of silver nitrate.

1 Like