Gpaw's New grow (#5),CBD photoperiod

any seed caused by an unexpected herm will also have those genetics in it, now whether they express or not is a different manner, but likely hood is they will express easier or in a more frequent percentage.

6 Likes

Thanks folks, I’m about 80% sure it is genetic. This was the plant that lives at the back of the tent but to be sure, I’ll do a proper light test on the tent right after this grow. Near as I can figure any stray pollen in the tent should be non-viable in a week. Does that sound right?

I was initially thinking that the hermaphrodite trait was a classic double recessive but the more I thought about it - I came to think that it is one of those switched genes that can be passed down.
Does anyone have an understanding how these genes eventually switched off or reset?
It might be interesting to grow these out sometime to see the herm. Rates. That might give a clue.

Thanks and Cheers
G

7 Likes

Apr 24 (38 days of flower)

Getting a little frost

Growth has slowed to millimeters per day but the structure is developing

Apr 26 (40 days of flower)

This is the frost development on Doc 1, the Mirkwood pheno

Doc 2 bud showing swelling lady bits

Side branches showing slow, ancient looking growth

Apr 28 (42 days of flower, 2 weeks left according to Seedsman)

The obligatory bud shot

This is the “How many Seeds can you See” game

I am inclined to think they are following the schedule, but we shall see

18 Likes

I have grown seeds coming from female that reversed with a few viable male flowers. I ended with only male or hermies but maybe that was due to my skills

I experienced a few lines that had a very bad ratio pure males / hermie / pure female. Especially pure sativas like thaï. I have seen some thaï lines having different hermaphrodism, from all female but a few branches that are male flowers only to full intricated male female flowers on the same bud.

The most exotic thing I have seen was from a friend that took a cut from a very good Sri Lanka female he liked. Put it in the rooting area, it works, make it veg again, it works, then he goes to flower and it flowers like a pure male. Go figure !

My preferred hermies are those that produce only few pure males, some males that turn females and pure females. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks GR, those are some interesting observations, especially the Sri Lankan clone, that is wild!
I had forgotten about the hermaphroditic tendencies of the Thailand sativa; the alternate name of this plant is Asia CBD. The plants appear to be hybrids so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some Thai genetics lurking in its background.
I am also suspicious of the 30:1 CBD:THC trait and plan to keep the harvest of each plant separate until I convince myself that it is breeding true.
I suspect that some of the issues I have had might corrolate to the cheaper price of these beans…
I can live with the issues so long as they deliver 30:1.

Thanks and Cheers
G

7 Likes

Did you see this thread?

Your babies are looking good!

6 Likes

Hey Larry! I was thinking of you yesterday (I was doing a stripping run).
:tropical_drink: :sunglasses:
I followed your Dragons Tongue CBD thread with great interest. There was some seriously high-grade input in there.
These girls are (to varying degrees) now frosting up so my anxiety index is back to low now I have trichs to observe.

I’m still envious of those great closeups you were shooting - great pics man!

Thanks and Cheers
G

7 Likes

Apr 30 (44 days of flower)

Time to play with the ‘difficult’ camera

LOL Totally shuffled the deck! :laughing:

21 Likes

Its really hard to tell from looking at those pics, but they look mostly clear?

Nice and frosty though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, exactly. I figured about 80 ~ 90% clear. Probably 2 weeks to go.

I got bored and haven’t played with that camera setup in a while. So that was basically a shakeout drill for practice.
You would laugh if you saw how I ‘fine adjust’ the focus… by moving slightly the legs of the tripod.
:joy: :nerd_face:

Cheers
G

7 Likes

LOL!!! You should see the Rube Goldberg contraptions Ive made trying to get those stupid scopes to hold still and be in focus! Drives me nuts! :smiley:

3 Likes

Getting trichome pics is so hard. I use this on my phone and then press the lens right up against the bud, seems to work fairly well. Helps to turn off fans and to hold the bud by one of the fan leaves as well

4 Likes

You are right, even a Neo-lithic luddite like me can see it is time to up my game. What I’m using was cool 17 years ago. :older_man: :mag_right:
Only target dates coming up are anniversary and Christmas… :thinking: better go with Christmas.

Thanks & Cheers
G

6 Likes

Another update
Apr 30 (day 44 of flower)

May 1 (day 45)
you can see that the trichomes on the sugar leaves developed late.

May 3 (day 47)
checkout the trichome density on the new growth

May 4 (day 47) group shot

19 Likes

They are coming along nicely, that’s quite a difference in the trichs for just 2 days.

6 Likes

Exactly! The trichs were late starting but they are sure piling on now!
These plants have been full of little surprises - just what I needed so I wouldn’t get complacent…

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Yeah complacency is my biggest problem, with plant problems lol. By the time I realize I have a problem they are almost beyond help lol.

I am making a lot more time for my plants now, easy access to them is my main problem, with my back and neck all messed up, I pull them out now at least once a week for a closer inspection, with the mite problems I have had.

8 Likes

Those are nice buds :sunny:

Hard to think that those smoke won’t get you high. Do they relax you when smoked or only when eating gummies ?

3 Likes

CBD will relax me when I smoke it but no where near as much as using RSO oil or edibles. It’s a slow subtle removal of anxiety, over a couple of hours, you only realise how calm and relaxed you are, when you stop taking it, and all the anxiety and stress starts increasing again.

9 Likes

You know. @green_raver that is an interesting question and it gives me a solution; up until now I’ve been curing and extracting a tincture (then making the gummies).
I have been suspicious as to whether or not some of these plants might exhibit a 1:1 instead of claimed 20:1 ratio (after reading through the CBD thread and others). Simply smoking some bud before processing will answer that question!
As @Shadey says, it can relaxe you to a an anxiety free ‘puddle’. Darned good pain relief too.
The most amazing thing for me is waking up the next day. That long slow withdrawal from deep sleep and languid laziness that reminds me of waking up as a kid;
and nothing aches or hurts!
I was fooling around and added some CBD butter to my sativa derived THC chocolates with interesting results. Turns out you can fine tune the final product for a variety of effects. I’ve read about the synergistic effect of 1:1 for cancer patients but I think there is a lot more applications to explore.

Cheers
G

13 Likes