Grow stones from old recycled glass?

or they sharp as glass which they or made from what about ph of the grow stones

2 Likes

You could totally use RECYCLED glass bro! Just don’t have really sharp edges that might cut any roots if mishandled . . .but hell ya good idea! You will need to cover the base of your plant to stop any light that enters thru the glass but it’s totally usable

1 Like

Yep, growstones are made from recycled glass. They apparently melt the glass and add calcium carbonate to cause it to foam. So, it ends up like a glass foam. Not sharp really. Sandpaper consistency, maybe. Kinda-of dusty.

But, you might want to condition them before hand since any residual carbonate can affect your PH if in contact with a solution…possibly causing it to increase.

I have some growstones here that I haven’t used yet if you’d like me to do a quick test…

1 Like

I bought a bag a few weeks ago and im about to try them out on this upcoming run. I’ve only heard good things about them. Plus theyre better for the environment than other options.

1 Like

Ahhh already made glass growing media. . . Got it haha

1 Like

Recycling glass bottles in the way you’re thinking would be interesting. Tumble the glass shards with a little bit of sand in a rock tumbler to remove the sharp burrs…

1 Like

Yeah or some broken glass in the back of a pick up truck for a couple years. . . What ever works right hehe.

1 Like

Or, if you can melt it down, you can slowly pour the molten glass into a liquid that will cool it as it hits it, forming little balls. I have not tried this with glass, but have with metal for homemade shot.

Hyrdoton/glass hybrid…aren’t they called marbles. Pretty sure they would work too lol

It’s much easier to order/buy it locally if you can. I’m on my 5th grow using 15% GS-2 added to Fert-I-Lome. It retains moisture better than perlite, at less cost. It also doesn’t turn brown from nutes & media, nor does it float up through the media over time. I’ve never conditioned it, just rinsed it off in a colander. Good stuff.

1 Like

…seeing as i’m effectively medicated this morning and this is overgrow, i thought this was about growing crystals with all those beer bottles or some other weird project. that would be more interesting. hehe :sunrise: :smoking:

:evergreen_tree: stones DO, like, grow man

I wish i had more avil locally. All i have is lava rock n perlite near me.

I use this stuff gnat nix. It’s recycled glass with diatomaceous earth in it or something. I put a layer of it on top of my Coco to make a physical barrier against bugs.