Crushed Clear Quartz in living soil

Im a bit of a “hippy”. Im very into energy etc.

I was thinking of replacing half my basalt/rock dust with Clear quartz,

Quartz is a hard, crystalline mineral composed of silica (silicon dioxide) . The atoms are linked in a continuous framework of SiO4 silicon–oxygen tetrahedra, with each oxygen being shared between two tetrahedra, giving an overall chemical formula of SiO2.

Would it release silica into the soil if crushed down to fine granuals? I think people would be surprised by the results if so.

5 Likes

Very cool! How will you crush it down like just take a hammer to it?

This may hold some information :thinking:

4 Likes

I think it probably couldn’t hurt to add some might add some beneficial minerals but depending might be even slower release then basalt or another rock dust not sure how long it would take to break down If it would at all :thinking:is it something that’s plentiful in your area for cheep could see it being more expensive then just getting a bucket of basalt depending but if just a few gems crushed why not give it a try

4 Likes

You could. They sell literally everything crystal related on etsy. Can even find specific granual sizes on there. Im thinking sand like size would be best.

1 Like

Thank you!

And yeah most definitely Desert. Basalt etc has a lot of testing done on it already. Im basically just curious if this form of silicon is able to be absorbed by a living soil really. This sciencey type of stuff gets so complex lol.

The main thing for me is the “energy” aspect of the quarts at the end of the day. I know a lot of people say hoo ha to that. But I think theyre missing out. To each their own.

I personally think it has a possibility to outperform regular soil amendment rocks. But Id love to do a side by side.

3 Likes

Looks like amorphous silica is more useful that quartz due to solubility

“Larger contribution is expected from amorphous silica than quartz, a crystalline silicate material. The solubility of amorphous Si ranges between 1.8 and 2 mM compared with quartz’s 0.10 to 0.25 mM Si”

2 Likes

Nice this is exactly what im looking for. Much love :pray:.

1 Like

Not so much as a micro nutrient but also Basalt is a Paramagnetic Mineral,The only other mineral substance on the planet is granite.Powdered Basalt and Powdered granite help keep things in balance.

3 Likes

Quartz is extremely slow to weather, so my expectations would be that it will be virtually inert in the soil as an additive in terms of an amendment. I know nothing about the energy element.
The easiest way to add crushed weathered quartz is by adding white beach sand and that will save yourself the grunt work.

6 Likes

What id like to see is powdered Garnets.They are the only Crystal i know of that can be picked up by a magnet.I work in RF we use garnets ti filter and isolate Noise in radio frequency.That would be closer to Basalt and granite i would imagine

4 Likes

Actually i might take that back says garnets have chromium in them and may be toxic to plants.Never mind was worth a shot

3 Likes

Yeah garnets are one of my favorite stones, especially the deep red pyrope garnets, I didn’t know they were attracted to a magnet, that might make fossicking for them easier, thanks!
My understanding is that at least for pyrope garnets, they are virtually always found in areas of basalt, along with an olivine and occasionally diamonds.

None of these crystals are going to break down into their chemical composition, not in our lifetime anyway, so I don’t think there is any risk.

2 Likes

I have a chunk of amethyst sitting in one of my pots, no need to break it up.
Let is sit there in all its glory.

You can first hold it and infuse it with the intent of your soil being perfectly fertile and in harmony with the highest outcome for all who consume the plants you grow, enabling vigorous growth, strong and potent plants with a maximum blissful, peaceful, soothing and healing effect. For example…

You can give it your own spin, there’s no limits to what you can intend, so might as well go nuts in whatever direction serves you.

3 Likes

I agree with what @slain has said. Now , having said that, You could research the “Biodynamic” practice of crushing silicon into a powder and hanging it in the sun for 6 months or so. I see that as more of a spiritual ritual practice to focus your intent on your gardening. It is good for your mind and soul. :grin::rainbow:

1 Like

I know that adding diatomaceous earth does allow for silica intake. I would imagine any quartz would have to be crushed to a similar particle size for it to be affective.

3 Likes

Rice hulls are a good ‘slow release’ source of silica.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I hate rice hulls with almost every ounce of my body.
I am not saying they dont have practical uses.

keep your crystals to decorate the tops of your buckets.
Use any one of the 100s of other forms of silica for your soil.

3 Likes

LOL, I was planning on picking up a 60 lb. sack shortly…
Tell me why you hate them?

Cheers
G

1 Like

For soil they are fine- I hate them for deeper reasons. 99% of that is mess.
In the brewery we used rice hulls for stouts. They help heavy recipes pass threw the mash and not get stuck. For this reason they are a life saver. You put them at the bottom or mixed in the grain after it is milled. In this scenario the are totally worth the mess even though food grade rice hulls are more expensive.

In the nursery, again mostly the mess. Growers use rice hulls as a form of mulch now. So there is an inch of hulls on top of soil.
Taking on/off trucks, moving around the store and watering are all an absolute headache with rice hulls.

I have rejected plenty of perennials and and even shrubs that perished during transport because too many rice hulls piled on and rotted out plants on transport.

Besides that im sure they work great as an additive to soil. _I almost always advocate using the most inexpensive thing you can get.
But i dont think there is much your getting from rice hulls other than a bit of texture in the soil that provides a healthy habitat for soil life.

4 Likes