Peat, destructive and unsustainable? Is coco better?

BTW… don’t get me started on the “rats” who are using peat as a part of their grow medium… talk about destructive and unsustainable… those “rats” should be told on big time…lmao

2 Likes

@Grower13 take it back. My peat rocks!!

3 Likes

I was thinking the same. That is partly why i went no-till, to use less outside inputs that could be destructive.

@Enstromentals your killing the planet… use coco… it’s my way or your a rat… you’ve been warned.

5 Likes

I’ve debated going coco or hydroton, but I’m a bit intimidated by it.

try chipped coco… treat your water like it’s hydo… and treat your plants like it’s dirt… save all your used coco chips… cause it only gets better with use… feed and water your plants everyday… you’ve never seen healthier plants.

2 Likes

It requires more Cal mag right? And also is fucky with pH?

I took this out of the tank so everybody use there indoor voice. :grin:

2 Likes

Hi, bought a big pack of Cocos the other day, all plants died because of fungus infection. Be careful you medium has the right microorganisms in it.

Be well.

i haven’t supplemented with cal-mag at all in coco. i use tap water though which has cal and mg already in it. i use a 1 part nutrient so if i notice a calmg deficiency i just increase feeding all together.

1 Like

ph of coco is great for mh… I have plenty of calcium in my water so I only add epsom… but yes you need cal/mag

do you have pics of that…

See if this helps or hurts…

https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/4358/

1 Like

what brand of coco were you using? was it compressed bricks or a bag of ready to use coco? that’s the first i’ve heard of that - sorry to hear. the coco i use already is prebuffered to correct PH and PPMs so i can use out of bag without washing

was it fungus gnats which destroyed the roots or just fungal infection in the coco… ?

1 Like

my guess would be he used coco coir and drowned the plants…

It were bricks of a no name distributor. plant downside illness, no fungus gnats. Interesting.

wrong guess, sherlock.

1 Like

I like the forgiveness that my pro mix gives me. Full hydro is intimidating to me because errors are magnified and there’s less buffering. I guess coco is somewhere in between but I’ve just read so many people failing with it and I’m not clear on how to use it properly. I use full line advanced nutrients and would need to switch to the coco base nutrients right?

1 Like

Take me to coco school real quick 13

i find coco gives most forgiveness because you can flush without worrying of overwater - any time your runoff is out of whack you can just keep feeding until your runoff matches what youre putting in. soil would get too saturated and the plants would suffer

peat is the worst for getting saturated and holding moisture isn’t it? i’m not sure what peat is even used for