Growing Dr. Grinspoon

Who has grown Dr. Grinspoon?
I have seeds and just curious about any major issues that might occur?

10 Likes

I have one going. Was not working for me inside as it was way outstretching everything else so moved it back out to my greenhouse and switched her back to veg for clones and an outdoor run. Will snap some pics in morning.

Edit. Only issue for me is flowering time so rather I’ll do her outside

15 Likes

I’d love to see it at bloom.
I purchased from A company out of Amsterdam.
And several people complained about feathery blooms.

2 Likes

i grew dr grinspoon a few years ago. far and away the stretchiest plant i have ever worked with, and also the larfiest. i cant recall exactly how long i took it in flower, but i do know it was pretty absurd. outdoor is probably the way to go unless you have really high ceilings

6 Likes

Holy thread revival . . .

Just to add some pictures of a grow from the latest batch of Barney’s Dr Grinspoon seeds.

Taken at Day 189 from seed. I chopped it 2 days later.

1. The plant - with my makeshift vertical lighting.
  2. A shot of some bud mass.
  3. A closeup of an immature bud.

It does get you high. Early smoke tests say a spiky sativa lift.

15 Likes

Looks like it was just starting to flower.

2 Likes

Crazy,You could easily go for another month extra and I will say she could have take it longer.

2 Likes

The plant had stalled & other than more stretch it was not progressing. In fact, some of the inner branches - especially the supercropped ones - were starting to die off. The buds & leaves just dried up - starting from the base of the stalk. That is why I decided to harvest what I could for bubble hash. It ended up as 711 grams of dry bud.

7 Likes

Damn. bravo. weeeeirrd absence of serrations - lookin like aussie bastard weed :joy: it’s too early for me 189 days? that’s like 3 years right? :laughing: :zzz:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I posted this in another thread but it might as well be here.

I grew one seed indoors in coco in a 10 gallon cloth pot in a 4x4x8 tent. Daily watering/nutes. Never higher than ec 0.8. LED lighting (fixture + strips) around 700w. Light - 18/6 for 5 weeks. Then 12/12 for months. The last 6 weeks was 10/14. It stretched like a MF. Seriously. Multiple arm size bud stalks that grew 10’ - 11’.

My advice. Start from 12/12 & grow it in a small pot - 3-4 gallons. Switch to 10/14 late in harvest if you get there.

From my experience & others on another forum, this latest batch of Dr G no longer has the ‘pearl’ pheno. Charles S (reeferman) says he is doing a side-by-side grow of these new seeds & some old Senor Garcia seeds (aka Dr Grinspoon) that he developed back when . . .

4 Likes

WOWWWW!! CRAZY plants. I read Dr Grinspoon was an heirloom sativa… anyone know what the genetics are? Zamal?

2 Likes

Oregon Purple Thai x Panama Red.

3 Likes

Oh, well that makes a lot of sense, than. Lol. Where does one order a pack of Dr Grinspoon?

Barney’s Farm sells them.

1 Like

Hey man awesome looking plant. Are you happy with the results or was the 6 months just not worth it ? I have a feeling your gonna run some 56 day indica next hahah

2 Likes

Worth it? Yes. It taught me not to grow big Sativas in a tent. Or if you do, start from Day 1 with a plan to keep them manageable.

And . . . it taught me (once again) to never mix strains in a grow tent. The Malawi I had finished almost 3 months earlier. It is superb cannabis btw.

I am leaving the tent empty until October when I will grow a couple of Zamaldelica fems. I have a couple of Ayahuasca fems growing outside at the moment.

4 Likes

Ace Malawi? I was looking a a grow journal of Malawi again. I picked up the Malawi breeders pack a few years ago. So far I’ve only run the purple Malawi. Did you run the killer Malawi? I’ve been thinking about that one lately. I have so many irons in the fire, but I’m really looking forward to trying that one out. Since you’re running Zamaldelica next I figure you must mean the ace.version? Those aren’t tiny plants in their own right, so if they were overgrown, Vectren Grinspoon must be a beast! Which one was the superb weed by the way? Grinspoon or Malawi?

1 Like

Oregon purple thai × panama= grinspoon??? I just looked it up. Oregon purple Thai is Mexican × chocolate Thai, and the Panama, when I punched on the button, took me to Reefer man. So maybe reeferman Panama? Sounds killer. I had no idea it had thai genetics in it. Thought it was from india. And I thought it was a landrace. Thanks for filling me in. Neat plant.

1 Like

So far the Malawi. Nice smooth, tasty smoke with a strong but ‘rounded’ (rather than jaggy) Sativa upper body high. Long-lasting as well - something I never get from hybrid Sativas. A great wake & bake weed.

Yes, it was Ace Malawi fem. It finished at 104 days from bean with 5 weeks veg. It got big but it topped out at under 5 feet. 170 grams dry from the one plant, but I had to adjust the lights to the Dr G monster so they were a tad away (and so not ideal) for the Malawi.

On the subject of Dr. G . . . from what I have figured out (and I may be wrong) Charles (reeferman) developed Quaze/Senor Garcia while he was still associated with Derry @ Barney’s. I saw him state once that he never considered it a great consumer grow product. I assume Derry released it as Dr. Grinspoon sometime later, after their falling out. That first run from Barney’s is long gone & the latest batch of seeds were released last summer.

3 Likes

What was the Pearl pheno?