Longest Flowering Time Ever

I was looking for some information related to long flowering. What actually happens?

1)Does the buds reach a peak growth and stops after X weeks?
2)For sure the plant can try to self polinate by herming, how long does it takes? 20 weeks?
3)If the buds show foxtailing, which is new growth, couldn’t this be treated as bud growth if these new outlets grow by their own not leaving us with an airy bud?
4) THC will degrade and turn to CBD, ok. How much per week?
5) What was your longest flowering time experience and results?

Hope this can bring new insights to the community as I couldn’t find meaningful information on this.

3 Likes

3 months…Skorean Kush

9 Likes

I flowered a mowie wowie cherry bomb for over 100days, there were bananas and seeds, but also new pistils and some fox tail growth till the end.

2 Likes

We have a special strain called ‘Wanda’ from the 1970’s my Dad gifted us, then we worked with for a while… But we never got to see her true potential, because at 120 days, she hadn’t finished yet and was too big for the room… a purely outdoor plant unless you flower her VERY small/early!!
Every strain has a certain amount of time it needs in order to fully develop and ripen… It is coded into it’s genetics.
HOWEVER: some pheno’s of a strain may ripen earlier/later than expected…all about variables in it’s DNA and in the environment!!
You can’t really assume that a plant will be done when the # of days it says on the packet are over… that is just a guideline.
If you go by the trichomes color- you can’t really go wrong!

4 Likes

Nice one, small buds probably from strain genetics, am i wrong?

Do you remember if there was any harsh condition that has influenced fox tailing or even hermie?

I totally agree with you that each strain has its own time to mature, has the development of buds kept going through all the cycle or was there a moment where it simply stopped?

We have some strains that seem to stop…but then spend the rest of their time developing trichomes and putting on weight…
Others that go the whole time, and we know they are almost ready because they either stop developing and the hairs turn–or they start to foxtail and get fluffy…
usually Sativa dominants…

2 Likes

I have a Greencrack cut that goes five months and will stretch from 8" to 6’ under 1000’s.
No nanners or issues just a beast of a skunk plant.

2 Likes

Any pictures you have of Wanda?

1 Like

@zen not that im aware of, most things ive taken to 80 days or more have ended up with a few seeds just from rodelization, but this was more than a few. I also had some pollen get loose on that run, so idk.

1 Like

I’m currently going through thumb-drives and old PC’s rounding-up all our old grow info and photos-- soon as I find her, I’ll post!!!

3 Likes

The opposite, I had huge buds on that strain…

1 Like

The only thing that I would add, its that dont get fooled by clear trichs, they are getting renewed all the time, imo as soon as you see some amber cut! And more with sativas, you should see a lot of white trichs. Also thc wont degrade into cbd, it will degrade into cbn, and a lot of it will be just gone, a more narcotic cannabinoid, its a high similar to moroccan hash. Also another interesting thing is that the precursor cannabinoid to thc is cbg, which through an enzyme in the trich specialized cells turns into thc and cbd!

Depending on what you are growing, some will stop making new calyxes, but some will still be growing a lot more, even after its optimum point, there was a debate in one landrace topic about maybe the content of N affecting this growth pattern in flower.

So far ime I just say be patient and watch them, they are beautiful! And be confident when cutting, for me, with sativas I prefer to cut early that later, because I dont want that cbn, but its my preference.

4 Likes

Here she is… Wanda! She’s the beast Draig is standing behind with his arm up!
This is around 90-100 days…she got even taller!!!

Wanda is 1960’s/1970’s ‘‘Hippy Trail’’ genetics from my Father, who spent many Summers at an Artists Commune in the Ozarks doing Japanese pottery and growing weed…

We crossed her with pre-2000 DJ Shorts Blueberry to get our original 2008 ‘SkittLZ’…
But now that there is a marketed ‘Skittlez’ we’ll have to change the name when we get back to breeding it…

Draig amoung the Wanda buds

8 Likes

The strain has considerable hefty, are you still running it?

1 Like

Acapulco Gold sativa from @lambchopedd after 17 weeks of indoor TLC and she was still stacking buds.

Prolly could have gone another month but I needed my grow room back!

-Grouchy

8 Likes

Mine stacking buds was outside all summer had to bring in to finish lambs seeds ag

5 Likes

Whoa nice. It would be fun to grow if you had the space.

2 Likes

I agree with you on Sativas. Sometimes I start counting after the buds stop growing and will chop before 4 weeks. I used to grow a Chocolate Thai and that’s how I did it. I wanted it speedy for the head. Otherwise I didn’t check the trichomes like usual. Now I grow my Thai variant, same Chemotype as the chocolate in a hybrid structure.

3 Likes