Growing with Mr.Sparkle : Trials & Progression 2020

Great looking seeds. Better than some that I got from seedbanks :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah i guess between the 3 plants should be a bit over 1800 seeds, which is more than enough to make some give away packs.

Side note

Old pots meet new pots and these are cut down but will be in the 1-1.5 liter volume range depending on fill height which will be over kill but was aiming for around double my current pot size ā€œ400ml fillā€ which these will be roughly triple give or take, so still may chop them further as say if i ran same height as the smaller ones i should be right around double the volume.

Still plan to run the smaller square ones for seed plants and selection purposes as then i wont have to battle them but if im going for yield well bigger is better, saying that the ikea kids cups i think may get retired for a second time, there just too small unless i was running 8 of them per chamber and even still the plants stunt in only a few weeks.

21 Likes

This will be good to watch :+1:
Iā€™m finding 3500K is great for limiting stretch.

I normally use ordinary starter pots then pot up into 12.5 Litre air pots but this means they start out with coiled roots. Just got some 1 Litre air pots to try out as starter pots so my next autos will have a natural root growth pattern from the start.
Still experimenting after all these years :grin:

7 Likes

Did some changes, fixes, cleanup, and setup this morning so were all ready to go.

So quick rundown of the changes, removed and relocated 4 strips per light with some new drilled holes to make them more even instead of having bigger gaps due to going down to 10 strips per light from 14, was it needed no and slight ocd yes but hey its done. Also soldered on a new potentiometer for the right side driver as that one had failed and was cut out awhile ago but i didnā€™t have a spare till a recent digikey order, Also finally double jumpered these lights and turned both drivers up to draw 100w max from the wall, works out to be right around 91watts at the lights, and gave everything a clean and set everything up.

Now just waiting on seeds, dunked them yesterday morning but did a water with added h202 swap out today just to get them floating again, about half have split so far. What are they you may ask, Dark Devil f2ā€™s from 4 years ago, plan is to try making a new/different version of the DarkSparks, but only plant to keep maybe 4 out of these in the end with two being reversed, then ill be dunking some of the new seeds above.

23 Likes

Looking great as usual MrSparkle, almost looks like a mirror image of each other.
So whatā€™s your goal with the Dark Sparks this time around ??. I think you mentioned a while ago about the green pheno type being your favourite??. I know the green ones that I get tend to be less stretchier than the dark type and also easier to control.
Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Cheers Johnny

4 Likes

Just want to try a different pairing as there were some characteristics i like that got funneled out over time, i wouldnā€™t say greens are my fav but i do enjoy them i actually like the purples especially the grape fruity floral ones but those being prominent were lost in the last crossing somewhat. Also the previous pairings were from just one mother, where as originally i had two that i made seeds with one being shorter and one being more sativa leaning in growth characteristics, those seeds though grew out very similar but never took the sativa leaning side to a further generation as i had used just the short one.

So goalā€¦ just looking for some plants that express the red/pink undertone to purple calyxes vs blue/black undertone and only having that color show in the buds, fruity floral scent, non willow/wispy buds and no crinkles but having bud internode distance being a bit greater than the condensed versions of the others due to those being susceptible to mold is what im looking for.

Achievable with so few numbers maybe, really will just pick the best looking ones to pair and see what comes out in the next generation.

10 Likes

How have you mounted/fixed those PC fans in there?

I want to get rid of my clip on and run 120mm fans instead. Was thinking maybe one per plant on the same circuit as they donā€™t draw a lot of amps.

To me they just seem safer, Iā€™ve read about clip on fans catching fire. Since I grow where I sleep that could be a problem :smile:

3 Likes

Just some thick gauge copper wire screwed to the wall of the cabinet it allows me to move and place fans easily as the wire is bendable and a simple solution.

16 Likes

Great thanks for the close up pic! Iā€™ll work something out for the tent poles.

1 Like

I hang 140mm case fans using nylon string and a slip knot so i can easily raise and lower them. I make a crude frame from plant wire to hold them off the tent sides and hang a small fishing weight off the bottom of the fan so it hangs straight. I use a variable voltage psu (max 12V) so i can vary the fan speed.

5 Likes

Thanks Iā€™ll look into something like that.

Iā€™ll get a power adapter that has variable voltage on it and run the fans from there.

How are the 140mm do you get plenty of air flow compared to the 120mm?

2 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle reguarding your fan construction

haahahaha exactly what i do. it works soooo well. as you can adjust the direction at any time you like.

only difference is that i split the nokia charger cable, and one cable powers up two fans.

but it sure works a treat.

3 Likes

I use one wall adapter PS from a router/modem for all my fans and pumps and watering circuits in bot sides and still dont think i break 2watts of draw on it under normal operations, maybe a bit higher when the pumps are on.

7 Likes

I usually run them at 9-10V which slows them to around 3/4 speed so they are virtually silent but they still move about the same amount of air as a 120mm fan running flat out (which can be quite noisy).

3 Likes

Thanks I was thinking of running those Noctua fans. Supposed to be great fans

1 Like

You need to have a variable voltage source and target the start voltage. Add 20% to that and you are solid.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Or a PWM controller if your fans support it., i run mine at full and just disconnect one or both if say nothing is going on in the cab or say just seedlings.

1 Like

Any you would recommend from the list at the bottom of this page?

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/buying-guide

Ideally I would like a hub of something so I can just plug the fans into it and then just use a dial to control speed. Iā€™m not so good with programming stuff like those arduino etcā€¦

1 Like

yeah actually i prefer the redux versions, there a cheaper and you just pick up the highest fan speed pwm versons of them. I run the 92mm in my cab for circulation, do have some cheaper artic fans as well but they arenā€™t in use as the noctuas are quieter

as for speed controller you can find them easily on say ebay or aliexpress or whatever ā€œpwm fan controllerā€ or ā€œpwm PC fan controllerā€

3 Likes

Iā€™ll do some more research on their fans, thanks for the input.