Growing with Mr.Sparkle : Trials & Progression 2020

Meh happens, and yeah it does suck wanted to finish out that plant, if any of the other plants start showing seeded signs i know where it came from though.

5 Likes

A question if I may be so bold.
I was wondering what exactly it is you are looking for in your breeding as you do. I know you say use whatā€™s good or interests you, I guess what Iā€™m trying to ask is what are your core needs for what youā€™re wanting to achieve? Iā€™m just trying to figure out the whole thing. Iā€™ve got some of my own seeds from my own efforts to keep the stock up and Iā€™m just trying to figure out where to go next with what Iā€™m doing. Iā€™ve never deliberately made seeds before but I must figure out my goals before these dozen I started get too far.

EDIT itā€™s not that Iā€™m not bright itā€™s just Iā€™m rather ADHD in my thinkingā€¦ per usual

4 Likes

No need for the edit :wink:

Goals depend on what your after and its a variable metric at least for me.

So take your dozen or so for example first choice i make are what plants are growing the healthiest which would be defined as say the faster, bigger but not necessarily lanky, more leaf mass plants, with healthy structures with no detrimental mutations that are a detriment to growth in general just the healthiest plants of the bunch.

I wont go into what may be healthy in one environment may not be in another as we can only work with whats in front of us in the environment that we give them.

Next selections after that are based on how they are bud building and structure of them, trichome production whether the amount size or coverage of them say only bud or leaves as well, and also the smell they give off.

Other than that as base points which can cut things down quickly sometimes you have further key goals you try and hold on to such as say plants that express a purple or red color, or have a certain leaf mutation that you find interesting or say are the quickest finishing or express structures that have mold resistances.

Really for me its just pointing out a plant or two in a group and being able to say ā€œi like that plant for ___ & ___ reasonsā€ and its better than the rest for those points.

8 Likes

Thank you much. Im still wrapping my head around how far Iā€™ve come in the last year of growing inside. Although I did find out that at least for me itā€™s therapeutic to be working in the closet. Itā€™s the high point of my day usually.

8 Likes

@joecool " Im still wrapping my head around how far Iā€™ve come in the last year of growing inside."

you have come far :slight_smile: I watched

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

4 Likes

Thanks much @dequilo itā€™s been an interesting road to say the least.

2 Likes

So did something that on the surface and base values seems illogical.

That being i ordered some enough Gen 3 Thrive bridgelux strips on friday to swap out my strips on one side, just got them a couple hours ago and have my left side swapped out to them already.

Gen 2 80cri 3500k both sides ā€œuncorrected photoā€

Gen 3 98cri 4000k left side, Gen 2 80cri 3500k right side ā€œuncorrected photoā€

Reason for it being illogical is from a lumen perspective the gen 3 Thrives are about 20% less efficient than the gen 2ā€™s in a 80cri, and i just measured mine lux meter wise at around 17% less efficient though i need empty chambers to get a true reading, also they are twice the cost per strip.

So why did i bother well first i have wanted to go to a 4000k color way coupled to a higher cri strictly for nice viewing and picture purposes for myself. Also figured why not as a treat for myself as something to play with.

Now something to bring up is the following graph below on the thrives series where that 20% less efficient nature may not hold true from a plant growing perspective, so as some know we donā€™t need much blue wave length light for plant growth and most all white ledā€™s give off way more than enough considering they are all just blue ledā€™s with phosphor coatings, now looks like the thrives may have an added blue peak filter to them which allows them to have such a high cri, also to note is how far out the red side of the spectrum is pushed compared to the 80cri plot which may be pointing to more effective light light use for growing.

Also brings up how lumens and lux are measured being what seems brightest to us where the peak wavelength of those measurements are centered around 555nm ā€œgreenā€ light so it would be safe to assume that a led light that has say its blue peak filtered down by nature will read less bright to our eyes and for measurement purposes.

To sum up i guess for myself for the switch, at worse i get less efficient production though they look better for my viewing purposes which is most of the fun, and at best may come out to similar efficiencies and i doubt more but you never know ??? and i get that bonus of them looking better which was the whole point in the first place, anyways something for me to play with in the new year.

12 Likes

When I made a light for my gfs indoor plants I used 4000 or 4500 (I forget lol) they are soooo much nicer on the eyes and to see details than my 3500s. Ive contemplate swapping a few strips on mine in hopes of making it nicer

2 Likes

can do that with 5000k to counter balance the 3500ā€™s thats what i ended up doing with my solstrips at the time, and some of the SIL builds.

I agree though obviously i like that 4000-4500k light better for my viewing.

2 Likes

I may do it the next time I order from digikey

1 Like

assuming they have the 4000k, seems like gen 2 at least its mainly just 3500 and 5000k, like these thrive series only 4000k and 5000k are currently stocked which makes sense from an actual lighting perspective as who really wants high cri but lower or really high color temp. Would be good for studioā€™s, paint booths, or at least something id be putting in my workshop if i had one.

2 Likes

Wellā€¦ you know my light better than me lol. I went and checked and hers is the 5000k

1 Like

Wow, I calculated 14% improvement {from Gen2 to Gen 3, lm/W} & 76% more $$.
Good enough for the girls I go with! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

But thatā€™s the regular gen 3ā€™s not gen 3 thrives they are less efficient in a lumen sense

2 Likes

Day 67/37

Left side, gave 0.3ec water on sunday reservoirs were at 1.2ec and .85ec yesterday when i swapped them out to straight water, new growth has stopped and they are just changing color now at the tips plan is to chop probably Christmas.

Right cab Lemon Pie seeds are now old enough so it will get chopped alongside the other plants, as for the younger plants the have taken over the soil from the repot nice roots and can pull them out as one block if i wanted, i like two of the plants third is a so so been contemplating maybe chopping them to give a clean slate to work with, though really i can just wait 3 to 4 weeks and do it then may just reduce them to two though as it will free up a reservoir.

Third cab is moving along, plant is too tall for my liking so make get a more aggressive ā€œNā€ Flop to reduce it though im just gonna leave it for now.

16 Likes

Whatā€™s your soil recipe?

Are you liking that better than the coco?

What size are those pots again?

Not using any recipe just straight promix potting soil.

Coco roots seems to penetrate and grow a bit quicker but thats only because im use to straight coco, and the reason im trying promix is mainly from an accessibility and environmental reason, as i can buy promix at any Canadian Tire or Home Depot or the likes year round coco i have to go to a hydro store to pick up, and even though coco coir is a waste product and is environmentally friendly that way it comes from the other side of the world and from coconut monoculture plantations which arenā€™t the best so that vs peat bog mining at least somewhat locally and perlite additions its a trade off.

small pots are 400ml filled, bigger squares are 1.25-1.5Liters filled

9 Likes

Grabbed some final shots earlier tonight, these will get the chop tomorrow after morning activities and all that you know holidays :wink: , then iā€™ll get a wet weight then.

So will be chopped on Day 69 from sprout for these PRCDā€™s Poisoned Rose Cookie Devils where the color came out at the end.

24 Likes

WOW Beautiful!!! :slight_smile: love the shape and color of your plants

they show the work you put into them

thank you for the look and all the best

Dequilo

6 Likes

Just finished trimming it, ended up being 865g wet which is quite a bit more than i was expecting, so will be in the 200-175g dry range, plus whatever i do with the trim.

22 Likes