Growing with no air intake and exhaust? And without supplemental co2?

I exhaust from the tent into the room. No direct to outside vent. I may have to do this in the summer but not yet. The room is large enough that I’m not overly worried about this.

Humidity though…

I have a dehumidifier which I use sometimes to keep the humidity in check when it’s 90% humidity outside. I can usually get it down to…60ish but at night, when it’s cold, the humidity can drop to 35-40.

Given the circumstances this is the best I’m able to do.

1 Like

maybe if you run the lights at night it will change the humidity problem.

I guess I will just use a hole in the chimney as exhaust and just connect a fan to it because I also want to use a carbon scrubber before I exhaust the air outside. Then I will put the fan on lowest setting. luckily its an ec motor which works fine with dimming. There are enough cracks and stuff for air intake I guess.

My thinking at the time was that the room is basically a greenhouse and anywhere I could put my tent would get direct sunlight during the day. I trust my tent to be lightproof within reason but not sure I want my dark period to be in full sun. That’s why I chose to run during the day. I’d rather have to tweak temp and humidity than to risk my whole enterprise to light pollution.

Life is full of compromises :slight_smile:

1 Like

You need one of these by code in some cities. A make up air unit is a heater that can heat from -30C to 22C, basically a furnace that can keep your place warm as it brings in air. If you’re exhausting more then 500 CFM your furnace won’t be able to handle cold temps and you’ll eventually loose all your warm air. I’ve heard of people linking two or more furnaces together bringing the air back in and chain them to keep up with the exhaust.

I think wine fermentation is a month or two, you can get quick yeast too for spirits that will be about 48 hours.

1 Like

Co2 is the least of your worries.

3 Likes

It was only a joke to tap into the sewer line to get the “sewer co2”.

1 Like

I grew this way for a long time, actually. It was a small utility room on the outside of my house at the time, where the washing machine was. There was no intake and no exhaust, and I never bothered to generate co2. Much like you I was concerned about this when I knew it was going to be my only option, but I went through the motions anyway, and I’m glad I did. Because everyone who told me it wouldn’t work was wrong.

As long as it’s not hermetically sealed, outside air will get in. You don’t have to worry about it. Would the garden do better with supplemental co2? Absolutely, unquestionably. But I was getting fantastic harvests, so I didn’t care that there was a way to get even better harvests. I had a 8000k btu window AC unit to combat the heat from the 1400 watts of lighting, and it worked beautifully. I had two tents in there, each with their own carbon filter and fan, so technically the room the tents were in acted like a lung room. I’m pretty sure that helped to create micro climates in the tents, but I don’t know if that would have been necessary. I used tents because each garden had its own schedule and one was sometimes in vegetative while the other was flowering, so I needed the tents for light-proofing.

Anyway, yes it can be done, without tapping into any sewage lines or anything nasty like that. Do it.

1 Like

are these tents really light proof or how did you make that sure, because I read even the slightliest light pollution will break the cycle?

If you want to know if it’s light proof have someone zip you in it. Simple solution

5 Likes

so yours were light proof? I want to know if these tents are reliable…

Like literally everything else, there are good ones and there are cheap ones.

2 Likes

I bought a cheap one light proof except for a few pin holes. Hell i leave my vents at the bottom open and no problems. Really it’s not that hard to figure out. In nature they don’t get complete darkness so a little light isn’t going to kill them. Hell I’ve fucked up and left my main light on during flower and no issues

ok just leave the light on all the time in flower. thanks for the good adivce.

No, don’t leave the light on 24/0… flowering cycles normally use a 12/12 schedule.

It almost seems like these people attempting to help you are talking to themselves. Daytripr69 was trying to help you figure out a solution and you were very rude to him.

You should be paying attention when people give answers to your questions to try and help you… and acting like a douche will get you very little help.

4 Likes

He was trying to be helpful to both you and your plants no need to be a dick

2 Likes

I’m feelin like :alien: Master Yoda.

Forget the CO2, seal & “remodel” the space because of the temps.

#1 thing needed is adequate light. but if it’s still f’n freezing then it will die or barely grow.

get foam in a can for the cracks (aka ‘great stuff’ in usa), panda/orca/black&white film, & put the light in & let it run w/o plants, check your temps & humidities… go from there.

aim for 75-80F veg & flower (IMO) & 55%RH.

grow some test plants just to see how it goes, knowing you can restart after tweaking things. don’t invest a shitload either for the same reason.

:v: & happy growin

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes