Growing with no air intake and exhaust? And without supplemental co2?

I have a small space which I want to use for growing. But because it is freezing outside and can’t seal the environment (wall cracks, old windows, holes, etc…) I am wondering about my options now for co2.

I dont want buy co2 equipment, also I think the co2 will spread and I will fill my living room with co2.
A propane co2 generator would be cheap but flood my living room with co2 and humidity :smiley:

For external air intake I could use the sewage and exhaust in the chimney (Edit: should be the other way round), but I fear that the air will be too cool when it is outside freezing temperatures below 0 degree celsius. how to use external air at freezing temperatures?

Finally I was thinking about not using supplemental co2 or external air at all.

If my home is not sealed and if I am living in it, what to expect? If a person is living in the apartment co2 levels should be high?

or how about doing yeast fermentation? how long can I have yeast ferment without killing itself because of too much alcohol? Is there a reaction where there will be no alcohol?

2 Likes

You don’t happen to be growing with living soil do you? These can put off a tremendous amount of co2. :v:

2 Likes

rockwool at the moment :wink: Is there a co2 deficiency syndrom? :smiley:

2 Likes

I would expect there is, but I don’t know. I do know that a 19’ tall greenhouse is reaching 800+ ppm CO2 with small plants, and hit as high as 1500 ppm during the initial wetting/mixing of the raised soil beds.

2 Likes

Are you thinking CO2 because you can’t figure out intake/exhaust?

My only source of fresh air is a small window at foot level which is quite shitty frankly. But it works. Even at -15C

Run the lights at night if it’s too cold.

Sometimes you can only do what you can do.

4 Likes

Do not use the sewage line for intake! There is a reason there are p traps on every drain. They hold water to keep the deadly gases in the sewer from coming inside

9 Likes

I’ve been growing in a spare bedroom, in a tent. I just have oscillating fans in the tent. I leave the room door open at lights on. Sometimes I’ll leave the window open for a little while but that’s a rarity. Idk if it makes my plants suffer or not.

4 Likes

what is the wetting, mixing of the raised soil beds?

1 Like

how you prevent getting cold air in your living area? you use a flap which prevents the air flow at lights and fan off?

yeah I am still wondering how to do intake and exhaust in winter. In this case I am wondering how to do it if you not use a box and the grow near your living area.

maybe I should just connect a fan with a carbon scrubber to the chimney and have no special intake. then time the fan to every 20 minutes to run 2 minutes or something? Would that be enough?

1 Like

ehm hahaha yeah intake chimney and exhaust sewage :wink: chimney not in use of course :smiley:

but you say poisonus gas? wait, what is the co2 content of the sewage line? :smiley: :smiley:

When we first put the soil in the beds, we wet it to an appropriate moisture level - mixing it around to be sure of proper hydration. :v:

2 Likes

I’ve sort of accepted that my situation isn’t ideal but I’ve learned to make the best of it.

I considered boarding up the window and popping 2 holes, one intake one exhaust. I might have to do that in the dead of summer but for now a little winter chill is what I’m forced to deal with.

It just means I have to pay attention to the window relative to how cold it is outside. Not ideal, but ok.

1 Like

you use a box? what is the temperature in your grow?

I grow in a tent in a room that might as well be a greenhouse.

Daytime temps get as high as 28C, even with the window open.

Nighttime temps usually hit around 20c but I’ve messed up and had it go as low as 16.

Basic thinking-
If -10 outside open window a crack
If 0C open an inch
If 10C and raining you are screwed :slight_smile:

Humidity is a real problem too but it stays within acceptable (barely) limits.

Hope that helps

1 Like

when is lights on? at night?

you have a fan for intake or exhaust into the tent?

1 Like

I don’t know that you need an intake, if you’re exhausting air should come back in passively. Houses aren’t really air tight so air should flow. If you’re exhausting more than 500 CFM you might want to look at a make up air unit to return air at normal temps, especially in cold climate or you can chain furnaces.

Not sure you need the CO2, back when I did wine you can get it to about 12% before the yeast dies. Cheap way might be to ferment some molasses and make some rum after it’s done burping, have to run it through a still to get higher % alcohol.

2 Likes

I run my lights during the day but in retrospect this might be an error. Have ~200 cfm cranked low for exhaust and a passive intake.

The one good thing is that the exhaust fan sucks cold air from the floor up to the ceiling, otherwise they would never mix.

1 Like

If you want CO2 without all the equipment, you can try a homemade Generator which consists of two jugs, some tubing, yeast and some water. you will not get a lot of CO2, but will get some.

2 Likes

what you use for exhaust? other window?

1 Like
  • what is a make up air unit which return air at normal temperatures?
  • what means chain furnaces?

Dont understand :-//

• How quick does the 12% get reached? Are we talking about pouring a pound of sugar every day? Because I fear starting to brew will be too much effort. (Go to supermarket buying stacks of sugar, after couple of days throw it away and start again)

Also I will start drinking too much as a result :smiley:

1 Like