How do you guys warm up your tents?

Hey guys,

I’m looking for some suggestions on how to warm up my grow space. I grow in tents that are located in my basement. I’ve ran some space heaters but since I have to place them on the ground they don’t seem to work as well.

In my bloom tent there’s no floor space to leave the heater. Even if I make space the hot air doesn’t circulate efficiently.

In my veg tent the heater is basically burning my plants fan leaves. Since they’re still small and not taller than the heater itself.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

3 Likes

How cold is it?

1 Like

Hps will do it for u,…I hate it!!!

What type of heater are you using? The oil filled “radiator” style are among the most efficient. They get hot, and then stay hot and radiat that heat off, and when they do fall below temp. again they’re still “hot” because of how slowly they cool off so they quickly get back to set temp. again, with ‘little’ more electrical input. They almost always have a min (~600w), a med (~900w), and a high (~1500w, with both switches on).

If you were to use a propane/natural gas heater (or co2 generator) you’d get co2 and heat (as well as a certain amount of humidity too). Something to consider, that’s all.

7 Likes

Lights off it’s between 66-68 F and lights on 72-74. If it’s a warmer day I’ll get 76 if I’m lucky.

I’m using the inexpensive forced air heaters. The lil black Honeywell heaters.

1 Like

Have you thought about using hid during the cooler part of the year, my roommates keep the house in the 60s but with a 630w cmh my tent stays in the high 70s low 80s

3 Likes

By growing fire.

3 Likes

I’ve found the storage heaters like @Nitt mentioned to be really effective but usually a humidifier is also needed. Any fan heater will dry up plants if in the tent, its best to heat your room the tent is in and use your exhaust fan to bring the heater air in.

2 Likes

these do work well however they are a huge drain on electricty lol
i use mine to heat my bed room in late October April
and in October my electric bill shoots up $30 a month for sure.

1 Like

I second CMH/HPS for cooler months. Led when it’s warmer. Works well for me.

2 Likes

This is what I use

2 Likes

Those aren’t too bad for temps Homie.My garage was getting 55 to 54 for a low and a daytime high of 72 for an extreme high average temp was 68 degrees and that grow was pretty damn good.My winter grows are my best in my tent

1 Like

Ive used HPS lights that heated the tent when it was cooler. Last winter i grew in my garage using the radiator style heater with a small fan and makeshift directional vent to my lower screened vents. Kept it around 80/82 degrees when the leds were on. I did have to deal with lower humidity going this way.

2 Likes

Large heat mat

2 Likes

I live in San Francisco and it is always cold at my spot. I exhaust air from the bottom of my tent so that the heat that rises is hopefully retained…it does help keep it warmer than when I exhaust the upper air. I also have my exhaust fan turn on only when the humidity is too high (dependent upon cycle…55-65%) so that the chamber gets a chance to heat. Sadly it gets so cold that I also use an oil-filled radiator in my tent during the coldest times… too bad you don’t have the room. The large heat mat like GYOWeed says is helpful…keeping the roots warm is pretty effective at helping to keep the plants growing quickly when it’s really cold.

1 Like

See the tiny, slim white thing on the left?

Thats a Newair 400w slim oil heater. Super efficient & takes up almost no space :+1:

Add a ITC-308 inkbird controller & it’ll keep you at a steady temperature 24-7.

7 Likes

This is a manageable size too. Nice set up!

2 Likes

I honestly love it for curing. I can maintain low temps but I can’t maintain high temps. My ambient temps are perfect for curing so I try not to mess with that.

1 Like

They are less expensive to run than the other types of space heaters (they are more efficient). But it is kind of a waste or “counter productive” to have to run a heat source that adds no other benefit, when running leds… but it can be practically necessary.

I live in canada. There’s about eight or nine months of winter.

@BerryHigh I also agree with the suggestions of HID, specifically cmh - for the nice spectrum. Though, I duno how much heat it might actually add.

Your max lights on temps are 72-74F? The plants are probably 70F or colder then…

If you need an affordable, basic way to add humidity to a tent, houseofhydro has ultrasonic/atomizer foggers that do a good job. But if you’re gonna be exchanging air with the whole basement, it’s gonna be hard to keep conditions in the tent much different than the basement, right?

That’s neat. Good one.

1 Like