Guess who's breeding?! This girl!

I’ve got some exciting news!! @Maddawg was kind enough to send me out some pollen. Since this is my first time, I want to start small with only breeding a few branches to learn the process.

The plant I intend to hopefully use is this little T-Rex, she started flowering on 8/8. The plant is currently outside but I can move her to pollinate. She appears to be pretty healthy an budding nicely

I’ve got some questions before getting started.

*How and where would be the best place to do it safely? I was figuring I probably could seal myself in the bathroom while doing it?
*Once she’s been pollinated can she go back outside? Usually I keep her near the hoop house but could move it across the yard if that would be safer. My old tent could also a option BUT it’s right across from my new tent with baby autos
*Can you use more then one pollen on different branches? Say since I have three different pollen can I put a little on each branch to find out what mix I like best?
*How much pollen do you use at a time? *What happens to the bud on the rest of the plant, does it lose potency?
Sorry my question are all over the place I just kept coming up with new ones :flushed:

My biggest concern with the process is doing it safely as to not pollinate the plants in the hoop house or my autos inside

Please share your knowledge an any useful tips or techniques you use :pray:

I’m maybe jumping the gun but I’ve enjoyed learning an experiencing everything about the growing process so far. I’m excited to begin learning something new. Best of all once I nail it an make some good beans I can share back to the community :relaxed:

43 Likes

I’d do it in the shower stall if I was doing just branches. Put a plastic bag sealed well over branches after dusting. Then rinse ofplant after a couple hours. When dry take the bags off.

I have only done open pollination. One strain only in one of my 2 separate air locations. Each area has its own shower. Than the boys and I go into the shower so I don’t carry any on my cloths or hair.
Even though I wear a shower cap while working with it.

:green_heart: :seedling:

24 Likes

Good luck with your new adventure @Heather420! It’s all a learning experience no matter how long you have been doing this.

8 Likes

T-Rex has a great and stable lineage for breeding purposes.

Dynamite x Cush

Dynamite is a Grapefruit IBL and Cush aka Green Crack is Skunk#1 x Afghani.

First, pollen is similar to the consistency of flour, only pollen is yellow in color. In nature, cannabis plants are pollinated by the wind, so for a controlled pollination project, you will need an area that is totally free of any air movement, so the pollen is going exactly where you put it.

As soon as the pollen sticks to a stigma, it takes approximately 20 minutes, give or take, for the pollination process to take full effect and fertilize the ovule to create a seed. Afterwards, the plant may be sprayed with water to immobilize any loose pollen and render it unviable.

If you plan on using pollination bags to cover the branches you plan to pollinate, then rinsing the plant after pollination is unneeded. Pollination bags are made of a microscopic mesh that pollen cannot escape from.

I don’t advise fellow growers to use plastic bags during pollination attempts due to heat accumulation and possible ovule damage resulting in seed abortion, but if that’s what your plan is, then please be very careful.

If I we’re planning on pollinating a plant with more than one kind of pollen, I would pollinate a whole branch with one kind of pollen, cover it with a pollination bag, label it and do the same for each subsequent pollination. One branch per pollination will keep it simple and easy.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to make sure you label everything correctly. You’ll thank yourself for doing so and you won’t have to guess what it could be.

As for applying the pollen, a little bit goes a very long way. I use an old makeup brush I got from my wife, but you can use a Q-tip, a strip of cloth or your finger to pollinate with, the utensil used just needs to be dry. You will be applying the pollen directly to the stigmas or “hairs” of the flowers.

Dip the tip of the brush, Q-tip or whatever you’re using, into the pollen and tap the utensil to knock off any loose pollen grains before attempting to pollinate your plant.

Loose pollen is bad in a controlled pollination attempt.

If you have more questions, just ask.

17 Likes

Anywhere with dead air is a fine space.

I use a qtip and dab the pollen lightly. You’ll get a feel for it.

Just be very careful not to get it everywhere and you’ll be fine. I use a garbage bag tarp while the pollen is flying.

And don’t forget to LABEL everything because you’ll never remember.

I’m hitting a female with hopefully 3 different pollen sources tomorrow.

Some people refuse to work with multiple pollen sources at once. They have a point. I don’t listen :joy:

Best of luck.

19 Likes

I am with @Foreigner… Usually when people tell me not to do something that one voice always says you need to do that… Y’all know that voice! :wink:

@Heather420

I am seeing you are receiving some great advice thus far! I am sure I will chime in on how I would proceed but I am in the “thinking” phase at the moment. As we all know there are a bunch of ways to skin a cat…

Something to think about: Your plants started to flower on 8/8 so typically (debatable) you would pollinate your plant on week 3 of flower. This means I would shoot for an August 30th pollination date.

As it looks like you are about 5 days away from your 1st Outdoor Pollen Chucking seed making adventure I should be able to chime in with something more that may lend to your successful endeavor.

15 Likes

I’ve heard watercolor brushes work well, too.

7 Likes

Hey! Best of luck! I am so new to growing, I’m not brave enough to try that, so be sure to post updates! Let us know how it goes!

6 Likes

Okay I’ve been doing a lot of reading an watching videos. I’m pretty confident I’m prepared. From what I understand the best time to breed is when her hairs are standing an still white, she looks like that now. Planning on doing it tomorrow or Monday

If I have no flowering plants in the house I should be fairly safe correct? The only plants I’ve got going inside are my baby autos, outside I’ve still got plants flowering

5 Likes

It’s done!

I kept putting it off because I was honestly worried about pollinating my other plants on accident, I finally worked up the nerve an went for it! I think I did a good job of got getting it everywhere. I’m gunna leave the bags on until I go to bed, will rinse her completely in the morning

How long before you know if it took?

17 Likes

I steal one of my wife’s make up brushes, then replace it with a new one.

4 Likes

Pretty neat😯 i hope it turns out well cuz it sure is fun to watch😎

1 Like

I’ve read many people do this. I wasn’t confident I wouldn’t get it everywhere lol my technique was to pour some pollen into the bag, sealed it over the limb and then shook it, rotated the bag after a half hour an shook the hell out of it again. Didn’t look like much was left on the bag afterwards :+1:

8 Likes

That sounds significantly less labor intensive. I’ve just never had that much pollen. If it wasn’t on accident, my pollinations have been very targeted.

Edit
I’ve also heard of people using one of those infant nose and ear cleaner bulbs

2 Likes

I love how this dude is hand pollinating the female that is growing right next to the Male.
I know, I know it’s for educational purposes :thinking:

mazar sharif pollination Afghanistan

15 Likes

Congratulations on your first Pollination @Heather420 . :fist_right: :fist_left:

You just had your first harvest a few days ago and now you are pollen chuckin’

Judging by your pic (pollen all over the bag) I am going to assume you are going to have some nicely seeded branches. Oh and that Harry & David is some tasty stuff. My grandparents use to send a basket to me for Xmas. :yum:

Remember to rinse that girl down before taking those bags off. It might be a good idea to put some water in those bags after rinsing off your plants and before removing the bags to neutralize the pollen left in the bags. It appears there is a bunch of pollen still in those bags…

The pistils will turn from white to a darker color and start to shrivel and that will be a pretty good indicator of pollination.
dark pistils

11 Likes

Well that happened quick! This morning the hairs are already turning orange. I don’t see any orange hairs on the rest of the plant so I must’ve been careful enough :raised_hands:

I just jarred my other trex plant. I don’t know anything about the strain but based on the leaves I think it’s a sativa? Smells so strong of diesel that it burns the nose lol I never have smelled such a pungent weed

13 Likes

Yes perfect your method. That’s how I learned.

3 Likes

:joy: my exact first thoughts when i watched the video

4 Likes

Best of luck with the project @Heather420!

:green_heart::dove:

3 Likes