Heat sink for hlg 288

looking for a heat sink for a hlg 288 board but shipping from usa to Canada is crazy so does anyone have a like foe one in Canada ? back up would be just using a 1/4" aluminum plate I guess

1 Like

You don’t need 1/4" thick.
That board is about 77sqr inch and worst case works out to 2 W/in^2.
With the aluminum tariffs in the states you do not want to buy there and import!

Your best bet is locally from the Metal Supermarkets, check to see if you have a store within traveling distance. They ship too.

At 2W/in^2 I’d be looking at 1/8", probably 6061 alloy.
I’m seeing almost $30CAD for a 10" x 14" x 1/8" sheet on-line
https://ecommerce.metalsupermarkets.com/Cart.aspx
{There’s some DIY involved}

You might be able to repurpose something like an old highway sign etc. if you look about.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

The heatsinks they sell are only 8th inch max. I mean 3.175mm.

Yeah steal a no parking sign. Get a free heatsink. Let people park. Win win for everyone.

1 Like

Honestly, if you’re not going to be driving the boards near their max of 3amps, I’ve used a 1/2inch thick piece of plywood in a pinch as a heatsink for two of my qb288’s for the last 6-8 months without any issues.

ill get talking to the local cnc guy, im sure he will have some scrap sitting around that will fit the bill

3 Likes

Wood is an insulator.
That’s more of a mounting board/heat absorber not a heat sink. I’m sure your lights work fine but the boards are going to be hotter than just running the board bare.

1 Like

This was exactly what I said when I saw someone else doing the same thing, and was told it was fine :joy: Turns out it is, but you are definitely right.

I’ve been running my boards at half of full wattage(1.5amps) and I can leave my hand on the boards all day. I definitely would not use them at full power with any type of wood.

1 Like

Sorry if my reply came off as rude, I’m just blunt. If I was going to use wood I would just make a frame to mount the boards to and leave to backsides exposed to the air.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t think you were rude about it at all. It’s definitely the correct info to know :+1:

You can run the boards bare but they have to be under 55 watts or 1.05 amps according to HLG.

Requires an Aluminum plate or heatsink if running 55+ watts or over 1050mA

If you need more juice, you’ll need something to use. The plywood was a quick cheap fix and I can run the boards up to 1.5amps without issues. No way I’d go over 2amps on these with wood. Very bad. Risk fire or burning out your boards. But under that it should be fine. Again, I’m only saying it if you need something in a pinch and can’t afford slate 2s or something else for a couple weeks, doing it this way would work.

I have since bought all new slate 2’s, and some 140mm fans so I can max my boards the correct way and that is definitely what I would recommend. Some type of aluminum heatsink. Hell I even use high-end thermal paste on my boards with the slate’s just to ensure longevity.

3 Likes

If you can touch the LEDs without hurting your finger (about 45 ~ 50C) you are OK.
(IR thermometer is better :laughing: )

Max junction temperature is usually 110C for those parts. Thermal resistance is 7.5C/W.
I don’t know at what temp. they start to derate the lifespan but that’s usually around 85C.
Hope that helps.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

This is why I love this place I just piped up with basic knowledge, then you guys pop up with the real data from manufacturers spec sheets. I was just trying to help with the basics and you guys had all that stats Lol. Thanks

Finally got around to finishing the light, dropped by the local cnc shop and got a scrap piece of 3/16 aluminum for 5$. got it all threaded and mounted up. def overkill, but love projects like this. Might even give It a coat of red cerakote this Summer when I refinish the snow blower.

2 Likes