Help! Feeding/fertilizing

I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed over here. I’ve gotten so many wonderful recommendations in fertilizing I have some questions, may be dumb idk. I am new to this so I want simple. I had bought organic potting soil and was going to do them in pots outside but after tilling a garden in my yard I realized my soil is nearly black. That being said my soil is obviously rich with nutrients would you still fertilize using that soil? If so what is something simple, harmless and preferably not a chemical? This and harvesting/curing are my biggest fears as of now lol.

3 Likes

@Meesh can guide you through this one :wink: :tractor:

Have some LITFA on me. :v:

:thinking: somewhere around here we have a nice pyramid diagram of soil structure (sand/loam/clay/silt). you’ll need a clear jar/glass & some water, & be-spoke dirt. :tongue:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

My guess is it’s had great organic matter added in the past the top layers will be the darkest . How far down does it go til it lightens up?

3 Likes

Compost, worm castings, cow manure…most manures really. Sounds like nice soil but none of those can hurt!

3 Likes

How your earthworm counts in there? Say 1x1x8-10 inches deep or so? They are good indicators of soil health, great soil will look like black cottage cheese full of aggregate composition .

3 Likes

Honestly at least 18” I live in an old established neighborhood right next to a spring fed creek. I imagine people have been using this land for a long time, it’s one of the oldest places in my state. I’m confident in the soil. My garden has already started taking off, my other garden is still inside hah I just don’t want to over or under do it.

2 Likes

This is the answer I think I’m looking for! Worm castings are bought I have manure. Thank you!

2 Likes

So many earthworms in fact we had another couple over and our kids were in the sprinkler and the one little boy found 30-40 just in the area they were in the sprinkler blew my mind!

3 Likes

I advise against tilling … destroys microbiology worm burrows , beneficial fungi colonies and such don’t be disappointed though what’s done is done you still have great soil I’d say go with what ya have place a nice organic mulch on and you should be golden! Constant tilling year after year will degrade it over time that’s what’s happen to crop lands nowadays after deep plowing. It’s slowly catching on but at an incredibly slow rate .

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Only dig for those fishing worms great to have ya in here and Welcome to OG!

3 Likes

Sounds like he has that one covered already! Lol

2 Likes

Here’s an awesome video for ya!

A good friend of mine knows this guy on a first name basis … my buddy works for ward labs in Kearney NE in soil analysis laboratory .

2 Likes

Luckily I only tilled my actual garden bc I had planned on growing in pots now I’m leaning away from it. This site is so helpful. It’s what social media should be. Thank you so much!

4 Likes

If security isnt an issue for you …I’d go in the ground myself ,it sounds like that soil is really good
Compost and manures are all I 'd look at to start with - the worms will do most of the work for you
read up on Compost and Seed sprouted teas would be my advice , they are so simple yet effective

3 Likes

Simple is what I’m looking for this go around. I have a good source of good smoke so if I fuck it up it’s not the end of the world. I’m in a neighborhood but I have a creek on one side of me and the other house next door is being remodeled and then sold and it doesn’t seem to be any time soon. So lots of privacy plus I built and enclosed area to grow in(per our regulations here) so they can definitely go in the ground. I will have to pull the trigger quick though bc I have 2 Bruce Banner autofem and 2 Jack Herer autofem that will prob be ready to go in ground next week. The other 2 I have are god bud, I’m stoked about all of it but I hear GB isn’t a great weed for first time growers. We shall see!

3 Likes

Don’t use MANURE unless you have nitrogen issues. With black soil you shouldn’t need it. Manure also runs very hot… Just plant your cannabis, wait and see what the plant tells you it needs, if anything. I suggest liquid fish drenches and compost for nitrogen. Manure is bad unless you know you need it. Best not to add stuff until you know. I personally get soil tests, but the plant will tell you if there is a problem.

4 Likes

Great advice. It really is such rich soil. That’s what had me questioning if some people just don’t put anything. We have an abundance of worms in the yard, humidity worries me a bit here but that’s another topic lol. I’ll just start at nothing and go up. I really like this advice and it’s what I was hoping for. I don’t add anything to my garden ever.

3 Likes

:microscope:
My guess is it’s probably a bit low in something & a bit high in something (like us :hushed:) and really high in something else. :joy: So helpful!

A soil test from a lab will definitively answer your curiosity but they cost muh-nee… :unamused: but they are SCIENCE & the preceding paragraph isn’t. :laughing:

But consider 50$ for a test that might save 200$ in the next few years, preventing you from buying & doing unnecessary stuff. Like the opposite of the grow-store or High times :roll_eyes:.

:evergreen_tree: but

4 Likes

As mentioned above, I would also advise having your soil tested.
If you have a Cooperative Extension Office in your state you can have your soil tested
for far less than $50.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Good reference, need to keep a bookmark for this.

Although for MA currently :disappointed::

All onsite work at the Soil & Plant Nutrient Testing Lab has been temporarily suspended due to concerns about the spread of COVID-19. We are not accepting new samples for analysis at this time.

Jack’s (jr peters) also does a variety of analysis:

4 Likes