Hempy Buckets

Thanks for that Floyd it certainly does sound like a good way to grow and I love experimenting.

1 Like

What disinfectant do you add to your water?

I use Seachem Excel, a form of glutaraldehyde. It also prevents fungus gnats.

You can use bleach or peroxide or peroxyacetic acid or probably a dozen other things.

4 Likes

So you definitely need a disinfectant then, does that get watered in like the nutrients?

I haven’t used any sterilizers in my hempies, just my dwc.

You don’t need one, no.

I just find it generally helpful.

1 Like

What you are using, is used for sterilizing dental instruments, or was anyway.

But in aquarium use it’s an organic carbon, used to replace CO2 in the water column.
In aquatic plants, just like cannabis, the CO2 allows the plant to use more nutes and allow for higher light intensity without algae growth. I bet it helps out more than you think!

I tried to use it to see if the organic carbon thing was applicable for terrestrial plants. It didn’t make a difference in that regard, at least at 5x aquarium dose, it actually stunted growth slightly. I noticed, however, it cleared up fungus gnats when I added it at 2x aquarium dosage.

1 Like

It may be designed for plants that feed out of the water column instead of with roots.
Stunted grow, well some aquatic planted can’t handle exel either, they melt under a normal dose.

2 Likes