Hempy Buckets

Hi folks, does anyone grow indoors using “Hempies” ?
I’ve been reading up on growing methods to try and grow larger plants with obviously more yield so I dont have to grow during the hot summer with its heat problems.
I currently use soil/perlite in 19L fabric pots in a 4’x4’ tent, and was thinking of substituting the soil mix with coco coir/perlite but the fertigation seems complicated and too frequent, so I wondered about Hempies.
Any info would be much appreciated guys…many thanks.

4 Likes

The guys on Dude Grows podcast are big fans of hempys, they have covered it quite a bit.

2 Likes

Thanks Qtip I’ll check it out.
Have you used them before?

Just for small seedlings in solo cups before I switch them into DWC. I’ve heard humidity can be a challenge with hempys so I might try one in winter when it’s very dry here.

1 Like

Following, that grow style is fucking wicked, I’d never heard of it before today, definitely super cool.

@Jango An Idiot's Guide to Hempy | Rollitup

I found that on another forum dude seemed real well versed and had a good looking setup going, in depth with the knowledge

Edit: I hope the posts title isn’t off-putting, just some random dude on a forum like us that made a detailed post about it, wasn’t trying to make it seem dick-ish or rude, that’s just the title HE picked, it was an informative post

3 Likes

Ive grown in Hempys, perlite/vermiculite mix. I had pretty good results. Im growing at the moment in coco/perlite in 3 gallon fabric pots and love it. I hand water in two 4 x 4 tents with great results. Watering is more frequent but I dont worry about root problems that can occur in hempys. @vernal can give you advice on coco Hemps Im sure.

4 Likes

Check with @JohnnyPotseed and/or @anon93244739, one OR both also does “Hempy” in their Grow Operations. I did Hempy-style Grow two outdoor seasons ago on my deck. 5 Gal Buckets, Reservoir/Drain Hole 1 1/2 inches from bottom, my mixture was 4:1 Perlite/Vermiculite, used black plastic covering the top to prevent Algae buildup. Was impressed with Auto Grow!!! Good luck, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

If you got any questions, lemme know, I pretty much only grow in hempies.

It’s a fantastically easy way to grow.

If you need really big yields get a 3x3 ID flood table for that tent and just skip the hempies, active hydro will crush hempy yields.

13 Likes

Just starting my first run on hempys from soil so im interested in this also. Do you all use any benefitials

2 Likes

My first jump from soil to hydro was with hempys… Some of the best plants I ever grew came with my first run of hempys…

10 Likes

I am, but I really don’t think it’s necessary. It’s because I’m using the elements nutrients and that’s one of 3 parts.

2 Likes

I do not use any bacteria or fungi products. I add a disinfectant to the water, so they’d just die anyway.

3 Likes

Thanks guys for all the info, I checked out a few sites on the net and found an old thread from OG from a few years ago so I guess I should of had a look first, but it seems that a few others are interested to give hempies a go.
So for a hempy grow do you have to start your seedlings in a small hempy style cups or just a tray of perlite?

1 Like

I just started running them and it’s amazing. So easy.

I did, I started mine in jiffy pellets, then planted them into solo cups with drainage with my same final mix. When first true leaves were over 1" I fed 1/4 strength food. Slowly incremented up to fill over about 2 weeks.

Thanks mate thats great I use Jiffy pellets all the time then pot up to my final medium so no change there.
This has got me really interested, enough to give it a go.

Do it do it do it

I found expanded clay for the bottom 1/3, then 2:1:1 perlite:coir:jiffy seed starting mix.

I ran all the standard variations I found and 2 this way, the 2 this way performed best.

Put a piece of pipe that you can directly water the bottom of your going to hand water, and add a bubble stone in the bottom to make it even better. These 2 are optional but pretty nice.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks mate, I’m off in search of black buckets!

1 Like

FWIW I’ve used buckets of every color and it doesn’t matter much. You can get a tiny amount of algae in white buckets but not enough to make a difference.

5 Likes

Thanks vernal white buckets are easier to find.

1 Like

I use to start my seeds in cups full of soil and transplant them into my perlite/vermiculite mix with no problems. So the medium you start your seeds in doesn’t have to be the same.

4 Likes