High end smart phones have light meters / hygrometers built in!

Im probably behind the curve here, but it may help someone else. i own a samsung galaxy s7, and i just discovered theres multiple apps that exploit the built in sensors on your phone. for instance i just got one called Photometer that replaces my old handheld light meter. Another that shows all weather related sensors that i use for humidity/ baro-pressure, and will even do highs and lows. so without leaving my phone in the grow room. theres also little boxes you keep in your grow room, connected to your phone via bluetooth. Tech at its finest!@ i just went to the app place and searched 1. Light meter 2. Temperature humidity. and boom im not too tech savvy for an ol’ fart, so if anyone knows of an all inclusive app that does these things. post on brother!

6 Likes

You sure the light meter works how acurate compared to your handheld light meter

1 Like

To Be honest my meter is 15 +yrs. old and requires special batteries that i dont want to hunt down atm. To answer your Q. NO i am not sure and your probably absolutely right on accuracy. but in a pinch., I have one!!

1 Like

I can only find lux meters do they have one for ppfd

this is what i found, because the meter is only for photo purposes. looks like a no but, there is some conversions
Press #0# on a samsung galaxy android Phone, tap the ‘sensor’ button, then tap the ‘light sensor’ button and you can start measure your light setup, in LUX.

A LUX meter will not measure PAR, generally speaking when measuring LUX, the light sensor prefers to pick up more green light, so spectral outputs can either be under or over estimated, depending on the light source.
UPDATE:: Galaxy sensors does humidity,temp,and lux. all in one page

PAR is light that’s used for photosynthesis; Photosynthetic Available Radiation, PAR meters measure light between 400-700nm.

You can apply a simple formula to extrapolate PAR values, although I’m unsure how accurate the light meter is on the Galaxy phones, or if it under/over reads certain light sources (such as LED).

Lux ÷ Constant = ”mol·m2·sec

Lux to PAR Conversion Factors
Light Source Constant

Sunlight 54
Warm White Fluorescent 76
Cool White Fluorescent 74
URI (now UV) Actinic Fluorescent 18
URI (now UV) Daylight Fluorescent 54
Actinic/Daylight Combination 38
Philips 03 Actinic Fluorescent 40
Panasonic 6,700°K Power Compact 72
Panasonic 7,100°K / 6,700°K Combination 55
Osram Powerstar Metal Halide 57
Ushio 10,000°K Metal Halide 54
Coralife 10,000°K Metal Halide 30
Venture “Daylight” Metal Halide 46
Radium “Blue” Metal Halide 51
Fusion Sulfur Lamp 41
Westron Mercury Vapor Lamp 70
Iwasaki 6,500°K Metal Halide 57

The conversion factors were obtained from a reef keeping forum (reefcentral.com), so I’m confident the maths will be right. What we need to do next, is compare the results of the galaxy to a PAR meter!

4 Likes

i hope this helps someone :hammer:

1 Like

And another knowledgable person rears his head yes will have to do lol i just dont have the mony to drop on one lol XD i did not know there was a conversion im gonna have to expand my horizon beyond mj i dont have a pasion for growing plants tho just a passiob for growing this plant hahaha maybe i do tho ive never tried anything else i wanna try the flower that looks like the weepingbell pokemob just to cline em an sell them 25 dolla4s a plant ya heard

1 Like

RAWR. you wanna grow that? scary
 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yea bro they got actual plants that look like weeping bells there freaking awsome

i’m not sure which conversion factor i would use for samsung LM561C S6 3500k - i can’t seem to find on google either. i used this lux meter app from playstore and i had ~52k lux at my plant height with fixture running around 60% to 70% is that lots or should i crank er up

Sorry legal I forgot all about this thread. . 50k is right in the orange zone . Won’t burn but make sure you have room to to play with cooler temps. And plenty if ventilation especially near canopy

1 Like

cool i turned it to max to check what it was and it was ~60k lux in the centre and ~55k around the corners. i tried checking at different heights and it was practically the same whether 12" or 36" 
 so not too sure but i have about 3 to 3.5 feet from canopy to the light. thanks

1 Like

So what Android light meter app would people recommend and why?

Cheers

2 Likes

I remember someone knowledgeable on here saying that these phone light meter apps aren’t accurate at all, but it may vary between apps and type of phone.

2 Likes

I use “Light Meter” on android. Whether its accurate or not, I use it as a measuring and comparison tool.

I’ve used it in the past to compare HPS vs LED vs Sunlight.

Once you get a baseline of what is “good light” you can use it to compare against other lighting.

I’ve also used the app “Light Meter - Free” which is different from the first app I mentioned. I use it to help adjust camera settings in my photography studio as I’m too poor to buy a good meter. It works.

4 Likes

No batteries required.

I picked up the GE PR-1 I at a camera shop 20 years ago for $10. A buddy was going to toss the Sekonic LM-398M during a move a year or so back. Both work pretty well, although I prefer the GE which I use for tuning in my DSLR when it’s not in auto. Just about as old school as it gets.

2 Likes