Holy's Garden (Part 2)

Killing puppies and killing plants are two entirely different things haha. Killing a dog just because it doesn’t have the traits you’re looking for is super-fucked up. If I ever knew anybody that did that, I’d kick the shit out of them. Repeatedly.

Having said that, I flower everything out, mostly because I always end up with gawd-awful M:F ratios. I’m typically not in a position to pick and choose, just happy I ended up with seven females from 25 seeds planted haha. I’ve found, too, that any sorta weird, “mutant”-type plant, slow veggers, “twisted” growth etc always grow out of it eventually, especially once they’ve been transplanted into their flowering containers and flipped.

I’m not breeding or even looking for “keepers,” though. I just grow the seeds, flower them, chop them and then plant more seeds.

10 Likes

Oh it’s definitely different. It was more a point about obsession with certain traits over general population health.

I know a breeder who culls puppies though by putting them in the freezer. Don’t wanna cause drama by naming them though.

4 Likes

I can’t say on the crasher specifically, but the ~30 minute high the modern shit brings with it :mask:
Especially gelato. I hate anything with gelato. Gelato is too dominant. That or all these guys are picking the most gelato leaning plants in every cross with it :see_no_evil: I can taste it in there, don’t even have to tell me. 30 minutes later… :cloud: need to smoke again. They usually taste good but idgaf about taste unless it’s nasty, and then I won’t smoke it :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

See, that’s the issue, they don’t do the rigorous selection

And it’s exactly why I asked homie to cross it back to motorbreath to keep that potent relaxing heady high, and instead of popping the like, rs11 x breathcrasher or e85 x breathcrasher, I went straight to the bx1

And I want to keep that hardiness and vigor (relative to some other plants anyway) but further reinforce the potency if possible.

So if the male works out as a potential pollen donor (doesn’t make poor hybrids) I would be wanting to, ideally, rigorously select for phenos that are actually enjoyable both to grow and smoke.

For instance, hitting irene, a sour selection, pink kush, and several phenos of i95 x chimera 3, if all works out, I’d keep the Chem d funk of the male, the broad leaf, but without losing the vigor also reinforce potency and high. Some of these mothers also have amazing flavor.

Could it not work out? Sure.

But if successful, I will have reinforced the best parts of chem and kush without all the viny, stretchy, neediness of these plants. The male when held horizontal basically stays straight even with several secondary branches. Mb15 is one of the cultivars that facilities, hashes, and weed nerds will run, because it doesn’t lose bag appeal, tests well, and hits amazing compared to all this gelato 30 minute high you mentioned.

At any step my crosses could turn out inferior or incompatible. But the big picture is to make kush and chem genetics, what i love smoking, much more easy growing and robust if possible.

I have much more experience just shooting the shit about this stuff rather than hands on, but it’s clear to me that some of these older heirloom clones have a lot of quirks which caused them to be tossed by a lot of people who got tired of the nuances or faults or neediness. Only the collectors or devotees kept them around.

Furthermore, when I get a modern hype clone like zoap, and it grows like a finicky heirloom clone, that makes me frustrated and disappointed. It doesn’t mean zoap will be letdown flower, for all i know it’ll make GOAT status, but it’s a letdown plant to grow so far. Some plants like exotics Gary work, on the other hand, might be “watered down” but they are robust as FUCK.

2 Likes

I fully agree with you.

@leetdood I also think that some of the modern lines can be utilised for their positive traits. But one have to realize that most modern polyhybrids are bunch of dominant traits stacked on top of each other.

Why I bring this to the surface is that I believe that these cultivars are not something that can be worked with easily. It’s like Matt Riot said, stacking cookies will only result in more watered down versions of cookies, and I agree to 100%. You won’t get anything unique or novel if you continue to stack the same thing over and over.

The issue you will be faced with is that you will creep close to the dominant traits of cookies, since you have no idea of the genetical make up of the alleles that push this traits, you won’t have any clue what type of dominant traits you bring in the line for the long haul and what traits you are suppressing in the outcrosses.

Cookies is very likely an mix of Chem, kush and paki(gdp/purple urkle/mendo/Grape ape) . So reiterate the Chem kush paki genetics to these plant will only give you the same result as going for cookie x cookie.

If you want to create watered down versions of the cultivars you are working with in this manner, please go ahead. No one can stop you. But I think you have to atleast be aware of what you are actually doing and not joining the American commerical lala land… Where the basics of genetics go to die and where the most popular “breeder” can’t even count how many plants they run.

Pz :v:t2:

7 Likes

I discuss this online so I can be aware of the potential pitfalls and mistakes.

As you mentioned lack of genetic diversity can indeed lead to bottlenecking of traits and produce undesirable results.

That is why I add the caveat that my hybridization attempts might not be successful.

The final test, at the end of the day, is whether a seedline pheno will be more desirable smoke than a heirloom clone I am running.

Some phenos I’ve run from seed are total trash

Some have ranked quite highly

So in the end I want to emphasize that rigorous selection is needed. You can’t pop 6 beans and keep one pheno and say you’re a master breeder. One person i know split 400 beans of serious seeds ak47, 20 packs each, with his buddy to find a cherry pheno. They found two outta 400, one was a runt.

I do not take Matt Riot seriously but it’s true that genetic diversity is needed to make certain phenos or trait pop up. This is why I’m playing with polyhybrids of many kinds.

Out of likes or i would like your posts

4 Likes

There are certain challenges in life. Like finding @HolyAngel a cookie that he enjoys :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

My go to is gmo, it’s #2 on my list right now

The current top 5 I can re grow is

Irene Kush
GMO
HiRo4 (pictured earlier)
Stardawg Corey / Tahoe OG tied for 4th place

Obviously subject to change

2 Likes

Then don’t bring it up. I really don’t wanna have to visualize shit like that, pretty sure nobody here wants to visualize that. Feel free to DM me the breeder’s name, though, so I can find them and destroy them.

7 Likes

I will dm that

It’s why i hung it out there so people can ask at their discretion and so there isn’t a flame war about it

Edit: In addition, my apologies

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, after trying a ton of cookies and derivatives over the years is, it doesn’t exist :confused: :joy: the best cookies crosses I’ve had, haven’t leaned to cookies in anyway save for maybe some of the smell. Still would rather smoke and grow anything else I got/keep around.

3 Likes

I know! :joy::joy:. It’s like a grail quest :grin:
@HolyAngel

1 Like

I very much feel the same way hoping for a ssdd leaner in the field trips hoping that cross might change my mind about cookies crosses only can count on the 1 hand how many I’ve enjoyed them vs it being rather meh they just don’t got the legs for the highs I look for and having friends that all work/manage dispos I get to try lots of samples of those types of cultivars :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I enjoy GMO because it packs a harder one dimensional punch if I need sleepytime or to get fucked up

7 Likes

Corey seems much more functional
Chem d takes a minute to kick your dick in (or coochie)
Irene is nice for the same effect though, less one dimensional

5 Likes

I think the 91 and tk are stronger than chem d is. I don’t really get the hype around the chem d at all. Had the cut, didn’t like it. I think the 91 is the best chem, hands down, and I think it’s second to the real-deal TK.

GMO is ok. I liked I-95 better, and any TK leaning Dirty Taxi is pretty nice… I’d still rather just have tk tho :joy:

If I wanna get fucked up and pass out I prefer my NorthStar currently. C5SensiStar x A5Haze s1/89NL5. Some of the phenos will straight tank your blood pressure. Take a couple puffs and then stumble around until it’s time to pass out :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I’m gonna flower out the 91 this next run

I think it’s subjective, I’ve found really calming and relaxing effects from anything related to D.

Really want to dig into i95 and i95 hybrids, got a pack of dirty taxi

Banged my head one night cause I got up in the middle of the night and took a wee, and Tahoe had dropped my BP earlier so I got dizzy, tried to shrug it off, and woke up on the floor.

1 Like

Also giesel absolutely gives me the sleepytime

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m currently dabble into GMO land with a Chem D x GMO Bx3. I still have the feeling I’m wasting my time since even in a backcross to Chem D, the cookie traits are dominating. One of the phenos are super sandy and have a sweeter, less offensive, very watered down Chem D smell. While the other one is icky sticky with watered down Chem D smell, more offensive than the other pheno though. But I’ll only find out after the smoke test. My hope is that the outcrosses I have lined up will have an positive effect on the terps and give that offensive, in your face terps.

My goal is a plant that smokes and smells like Chem D, but grows and washes like GMO. I don’t think I’ll get there though…

Pz :v:t2:

3 Likes

i hope that guy gets the most painful disease and suffers immensely only to find a cure thinking he is saved only that causes a different disease that is even worse and he dies a slow cold painful death like those puppies.

5 Likes