Hormone and sex manipulation on cuttings, past research on hemp

Nice find. Do you recall if they explain the mechanics of why selfing over and over would make them sterile?

2 Likes

I cant remember to be honest he did go into some detail.

The long video is the one you need to watch.

2 Likes

https://sci-hub.ru/10.1016/j.indcrop.2013.01.025

1 Like

Easiest way to prevent methionine from converting to ethylene is cobalt.

Test any herm you find a hiccup in Acc synthesase phosphorylation.

3 Likes

In spite of it has been stated that cannabinoids occur in glandular trichomes our investigation detected that the first, male flowers with THC content similar to female flowers and CBD content of 3-fold of female flowers did not have any glandular trichome, and the second cannabinoid content increased even up to 9-fold of untreated plants did not have any effect on leaves glandular trichomes numbers

It would seem THC was increased but trichome production was not.

3 Likes

So there might be different mechanisms or biochemical pathways for the resin heads? Hmmm yeah that could be why not. Don’t resin heads have their own set of cells in the head’s that can detach from the plant stalk.

I am not sure about the total morphology of the resin stock or head, and I think I need to really look into that and see how how they’re truly formed.

1 Like

Found this and will try to dump more info. I’m try not to deviate from this topic, but this is something I found was a difference between males and females.

Three types of glandular trichome have been described on female cannabis, viz bulbous, sessile and capitate stalked. Males have been found to exhibit a fourth type – the antherial glandular trichome, which has only been found on anthers (Fairbairn, 1972).

2 Likes

Not sure i’m on the subject but trichomes react to abscissique acid, just like fruits. I guess you can find extensive practical infos with passionate hashmakers.

2 Likes

In plants, dioecy is thought to originate from hermaphroditism through two main pathways: the gynodioecy pathway, in which there is a gynodioecious intermediate (species with both females and hermaphrodites) and the monoecy (or paradioecy) pathway, in which the intermediate is monoecious (species having both female and male flowers on the same plant) [42]. Theory indicates that the gynodioecy pathway should proceed with two successive mutations on two different genes ,amale-sterile mutation producing and a female-sterile mutation producing males [43,44]. No population getting pathway. It is possible that dioecious plants which evolved through the monoecy pathway depend more on epigenetics for sex determination than dioecious plants evolved through the gynodioecy pathway. Indeed, in a monoecious plant, two types of flowers can be produced, either male or female. It seems reasonable to expect that the evolution of separate male and female individuals (dioecy) from monoecious plants would only require a slight change in the regulation of the gene network already in place that controls the spatially separated development of male and female flowers. The findings in persimmons, willows and poplars suggest sex determination in plants can rely on a single gene and often involve epigenetics [45,46]. Interestingly, persimmons and Salicaceae may have followed the monoecy pathway [8,47]. By contrast, two or more sex-determining genes have been foundinAsparagus,date-palm,grapes,kiwi fruits distracting [48–55], and these species may have followed the gynodioecy pathway [8,47]. Therefore, it is possible that the monoecy pathway of dioecy evolution relies more on epigenetics and the gynodioecy pathway on two or more genes, but more species need to be studied to test this hypothesis.

3 Likes

Y Epigenetics.pdf (604.5 KB)

This is the part where Epistasis was mentioned

3 Likes

Dr Potter.pdf (3.0 MB)

6 Likes

It’s how the abscisic acid interact with the trichomes.

7 Likes

The glandular heads reportedly acted as “sinks” for carbon (sugar) utilization derived from photosynthesis, while the stalk cells and mesophyll cells in the bract tissues served as “sources” of carbon as they both contain chloroplasts

Cytokinins are also able to stimulate trichome formation. Plants treated with benzylaminopurine (BAP) produced more trichomes on leaves, stems and flowers (Maes et al. 2008)

3 Likes

@hempy
Did you ever have the time to run some experiments?

Here’s a fun one :wink:

This guy sprayed his plants with a 1/8th tbsp of borax per gallon of water solution and it made his plants grow balls at every nodes.

5 Likes

I will try and solve the riddle but I am terrible at math.
What does that equate to in terms of mg/l of boron?
Did he add calcium with it?
It sounds stress induced to me, but hard to tell from here…LOL

5 Likes

Is it tablespoon or teaspoon?
tablespoon = 14.79 cubic centimeters of volume
Borax = 1.73 g/cm3
Gallon of water is 3.7845 liters so with (((14.79 cc x (1.73g/cm3))/3785 grams) = (0.00676097 x 10^6) = 6760 ppm; which is high for a foliar application? @shag but this compound is not all boron so what is the % of boron in the borax?

6760 x 0.113/8 = 95.5 ppm so with that I think this is reasonable for a foliar as far as average ppm goes but don’t know what the toxicity level is for boron on plants?

5 Likes

Thanks for doing the math @Cactus . :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
You are the man! :wink:

If that number is correct then it is no wonder his plant was stressed.
I think the average recommended PPM for Boron is about 1-3 ppm.
Of course, this number can be bigger if you are pushing calcium hard.

2 Likes

Well this is embarrassing… is my haste I skipped a couple crucial steps eh

The recipe should read - 1/8 teaspoon of borax (.5g) to five gallons of water…

Borax is 11.5% boron

This should come to around 2.8ppm as per the guy opening post. I did not check the math.

4 Likes

1 tsp = 4.93 g

4.93 cm3/8 = 0.616 cm3…(0.616 cm3 x 1.73 g/cm3)*0.115/18,930 grams *10^6 = 6.5 ppm

I got this little different @shag

0.5 g of Borax is then = 0.5 g*0.115/18,930 g x 10^6 = 3.03 ppm

2 Likes