Hormone and sex manipulation on cuttings, past research on hemp

It’s how the abscisic acid interact with the trichomes.

7 Likes

The glandular heads reportedly acted as “sinks” for carbon (sugar) utilization derived from photosynthesis, while the stalk cells and mesophyll cells in the bract tissues served as “sources” of carbon as they both contain chloroplasts

Cytokinins are also able to stimulate trichome formation. Plants treated with benzylaminopurine (BAP) produced more trichomes on leaves, stems and flowers (Maes et al. 2008)

3 Likes

@hempy
Did you ever have the time to run some experiments?

Here’s a fun one :wink:

This guy sprayed his plants with a 1/8th tbsp of borax per gallon of water solution and it made his plants grow balls at every nodes.

5 Likes

I will try and solve the riddle but I am terrible at math.
What does that equate to in terms of mg/l of boron?
Did he add calcium with it?
It sounds stress induced to me, but hard to tell from here…LOL

5 Likes

Is it tablespoon or teaspoon?
tablespoon = 14.79 cubic centimeters of volume
Borax = 1.73 g/cm3
Gallon of water is 3.7845 liters so with (((14.79 cc x (1.73g/cm3))/3785 grams) = (0.00676097 x 10^6) = 6760 ppm; which is high for a foliar application? @shag but this compound is not all boron so what is the % of boron in the borax?

6760 x 0.113/8 = 95.5 ppm so with that I think this is reasonable for a foliar as far as average ppm goes but don’t know what the toxicity level is for boron on plants?

5 Likes

Thanks for doing the math @Cactus . :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
You are the man! :wink:

If that number is correct then it is no wonder his plant was stressed.
I think the average recommended PPM for Boron is about 1-3 ppm.
Of course, this number can be bigger if you are pushing calcium hard.

2 Likes

Well this is embarrassing… is my haste I skipped a couple crucial steps eh

The recipe should read - 1/8 teaspoon of borax (.5g) to five gallons of water…

Borax is 11.5% boron

This should come to around 2.8ppm as per the guy opening post. I did not check the math.

4 Likes

1 tsp = 4.93 g

4.93 cm3/8 = 0.616 cm3…(0.616 cm3 x 1.73 g/cm3)*0.115/18,930 grams *10^6 = 6.5 ppm

I got this little different @shag

0.5 g of Borax is then = 0.5 g*0.115/18,930 g x 10^6 = 3.03 ppm

2 Likes

Forgot to divide by 8 so it is now 95.5 ppm

1 Like

This is a male Thai is looking like it is producing enough pollen for seed set(Reversed Thai male).

As you can see the buds are small and no trichomes that I can see.

4 Likes

Week later with seed set! Looks like some small trichome action but very small! Should be ready for chop in a couple weeks!

6 Likes

Nice work brother @Cactus :star_struck:
Thanks for sharing with us.

2 Likes

Thanks @shag looks to be quite a bundle of seeds! This Lao Gold male is very interesting and it is throwing some trichomes which aren’t supposed to be present on a flowering male if I remember correctly but no matter it smells strong for a tropical which is nice.

1 Like

That is probably a good sign.
I think all males have trichomes??
They may be short and not visible to the naked eye…usually.
Is it me or do the balls on that male look more like dongs than balls? :thinking:
I wonder what makes them shaped like that?
This must have something to do with the sex change…No?

1 Like

What I meant was there are usually no trichomes on a flowering male, but I think all bets are off when they get transformed like this so the ability for the male to throw female type trichomes is possible, This to me tells me that they have the ability to form them. Don’t see that in the suppressed male state.

2 Likes

Recurrent hybridization caused by constant parental immigration continuously drives the stochastic evolution of mating phenotypes in the hybrid population until evolution of a novel mating phenotype leads to reproductive isolation between the hybrid population and parental lineages.

4 Likes

Just finished collecting the seeds from my reversed Thai male, S1 Regular seeds I guess :wink::+1:

7 Likes

[Uploading: IMG_3186.JPG…]

4 Likes

5 Likes