How can I determine the sex of seed plants with clones?

As compared to the observation of preflowers, forcing clones is an almost foolproof method of determining sex. This method anticipates that the grower has started a batch of plants from seed. After several weeks of vegetative growth, the plants should have branched enough that cuttings may be taken. The cuttings should have at least one node and be at least an inch and a half long.

1. The seed plants are numbered or otherwise made distinguishable from each other.

2. Take 2 cuttings from each seed plant. Each of these are given the same number as their donor plant.

3. Root these cuttings and pot separately.

4. One representative clone of each plant is placed in a separate light proof flowering area and the photoperiod there is changed to 12/12. Please note that since these clones will be discarded after they show sex, that practically any light source will serve our purposes here.

5. The other clones remain in vegetative growth. By the time the flowering clones show sex, the now-identified as female vegetative clones are sexually mature and ready to flower themselves.

6. For larger crops, retain both the donor plant and the non-flowering clone for vegetative growth. Both may be used as mother plants to provide clones for harvest oriented flowering.

2 Likes

So this still has me stumped. I Have 8 plants on the go 3 have shown sex. I took tops off all of them tonight and cloned the tops of the ones that haven’t shown yet. Should I root them or just put them straight under 12/12?

I’m gonna say straight 12/12 if your wanting to sex them ASAP you can put them back to 24 hours to veg and further clone the clones down the road .

1 Like

If you just want 2 determine sex u dont have 2 root them just put them in a cup of water and under 12/12 for about a week give or take until they show sex hope this helps happy growing :seedling:

5 Likes

I’ve put fresh cuts, into a small film canister with water, straight into 12/12 to show sex. The little ones will still root with regular water changes but go into flower to reveal sex.

Cheers Johnny

5 Likes