How long does pollens stay good in the fridge

Have a load of different pollen in my fridge what’s the shelf life on pollens

6 Likes

Best used asap. Can get 6-12 months, all the way up to 2-3 years.

(As long as it was sifted and dried properly before refrigeration.)

If it started to get dark/clumpy it’s going bad.

14 Likes

It was good to know

1 Like

I would agree with the 6-12 months being sort of normal.

5 Likes

I have pulled pollen that was dried and stored in tinfoil and a desk drawer in the basement for 4 years and it was still viable.
I could not believe it myself. It was a sour diesel male I used over the years but finally lost it…I found the pollen and hit some S1 Lost Skunk with it. “Those seeds are long gone now”. It was very skunky and dank smelly weed. Wish I still had them.

3 Likes

Here are my males sperms…

4 Likes

The fridge is not as good for storage as the freezer. Pollen doesn’t need to be cool to stay viable, but it does need to be dry. The fridge can condense water and if it is sealed and doesn’t freeze, it’s no bueno.

8 Likes

There in the freezer

2 Likes

Can you mix it with Diatomaceous Earth instead of flour? It’s not like u gonna smoke it but will the silica kill the pistols probably not?
I have it in fridge in those .5ml vials but with one of those silica balls in it.
Im wondering if DE powder mixed and using those de dusters would be the most efficient to hit all the pistils on one branch

I was told to put a grain of rice in with it

1 Like

Grain of rice on ice (freezer) have some in there several months. I put a couple grains in a vial and seal it and throw that in a bed of rice in a tupper.

2 Likes

It is best to dry it and keep it pure if you can. I have added both dried flour and rice with flour being preferred. It is more of an extender. Cut 4 to 1 with flour that has been dried in an oven on it’s lowest setting (110-120F) for 45 min to 1 hour. Do the same with rice. This pulls all the moisture out of it so it is a better desiccant.

For long term freezer or fridge storage, I put the pollen into contact cases, then put those in a moisture impermeable Mylar bag with some rice. The Mylar bag is then sealed with an iron on hot.

If you have a seal a meal, that works well too instead of the Mylar bags.

I have a food saver machine I use for my sausages lol

1 Like