How to upload photos to Overgrow 📸

What device are you using to upload?

That is not message from our site, probably your device or OS is informing you…

I see you have uploaded photo just fine the other day…

Ooops, sorry about that.
I’ve been using Snipping Tool all this time but I can change the setting to save as a jpg.
Will that be ok?

2 Likes

Yes, that is ok…

Snipping Tool (PNG / GIF) is good only for taking screenshots of running computer application, definitely not for photos.

png is fine for photos, way better than jpg imho, less artifacting at higher resolution and lower darkness levels

Please on your device use whatever you wish. If you don’t mind that your photos are occupying 10x more space.

tldr; But here on the internet, please use exclusively JPG for photos. Admins will thank you and so will users. There is a reason why all point and shoot cameras and SLRs use JPG.

PNG is lossless compression (that is why it doesn’t have any artifacts), and it is absolutely not proper format to share photos on the internet mainly because of its size (it is bad for the storage and bad for loading times). It is equivalent of using RAW format with SLR cameras.

JPG is lossy compression, but compression created for photos. Something like mp3 was for music. It optimizes size and doesn’t compromise quality.

99% professional photographers use JPGs.

JPEGs are for photographs and realistic images.
:x:
PNGs are for line art, text-heavy images, and images with few colors (e.g. application screenshots).

For everyone interested about learning different graphics formats, I link this guide:

:no_entry_sign: Don’t use a PNG when…
You’re working with photos or artwork. Thanks to PNGs’ high color depth, the format can easily handle high resolution photos. However, because it is a lossless web format, file sizes tend to get very large. If you’re working with photos on the web, go with JPEG.
https://99designs.com/blog/tips/image-file-types/

2 Likes