Hypochlorous Acid & Beneficial bacteria in RDWC

Hello fellow hydro growers. I have always read that you cannot use both at the same time because HCIO will raise your ORP to the point that it will indiscriminately kill ALL bacteria. Then the other day while doing research, I came across this video to the contrary - https://youtu.be/LUX2ezS2O8A?si=eB6D9CAkXPM7v6lm

Just curious if anyone has used both at the same time and what your results were. I am using a RDWC system. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

That video was interesting @Proud_Heretic, but I’m sure you realize that it was basically a sales pitch for the particular strain of beneficial bacteria they are selling.

I haven’t done any empirical experiments but I’m pretty sure that HOCl does kill off the bacillus delivered by HydroGuard and in GFF product pictured below. I always start with fresh water when I change out a reservoir, then inoculate it with beneficials.

2 Likes

Yes, that was my original thought as well, but he did claim in the video that they would “publish the data to their website”. I have not been able to find such data on their website, so I asked in the comments on the video. I was hoping that someone had real world experience in using both at the same time.

2 Likes

Well, I called their bluff and asked about the data…they sent this to me.

Bacillus-x-Hypochlorous-Acid-Test.pdf (556.3 KB)