I'm a tightwad

Since I have never pressed before, whats optimal temp? I can’t imagine over 60c if they use a hair press…

I have one printer that has a 400mm x 400mm bed that it easily keeps at 60c for hours, and hotends at 210c-220c for the same amount of time. A bed is a bit flexible though (even a 220x220 bed would flex a lot) but the hotend assembly is a chunk of aluminum. And control is down to a single degree :smiley:

Damnit, why does this place always give me ideas?

1 Like

I broke my sister’s hair straightener. I used a mini C clamp.

It sorta made a little rosin (maybe.)

2 Likes

230 would work. I’ve pressed from 180 to 240 are about the highest and lowest depending on what and how I’m pressing but probably use 190 the most.

5 Likes

dude, you were supposed to say “no, you need 400c” so I wouldn’t pursue this. LOL

Ok. sigh… now I’m thinking of the local metal yard, and their scrap bins. Bet I could find a piece of aluminum the right size as a cut-off, then I just need to drill a 15mm or so hole for the heat element. Make my own heat block, just bigger…

Great, now I’m gonna wanna design / 3D print something to house the control panel / mainboard / power supply…

I really think I can make this work :smiley:

3 Likes

Beautiful! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I was going through this thread a few days ago. Enough info in here to tempt me to try the hair straitener and c clamp method on my next harvest.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info guys, I was just wondering if I could get something from what I already have, but it doesn’t look like I can I only have 1 iron, so heat only on 1 side… so next best is a hair iron

1 Like

I’ve tried the hair straightener method. It works…
Not very efficiently in my opinion, but it does work.

1 Like

This is the one I used to use.

4 Likes

Wow that’s way more heavy duty than the flimsy one i broke.

2 Likes

lol, yeah, that looks like it was made for stoner husbands, ha.

3 Likes

Thrift shop find😂

1 Like

I tried a hair straightener, have bad hands and it didnt yield hardly at all, finally got a press and was amazed at the yield diff, same strains same batch’

1 Like

This is what I use.

3 Likes

OK, I “borrowed” a hair iron and squeezed out a tiny bead of resin from a bud (mostly just made a very flat, very hard and shiny chip out of the bud
so, tightwad or no, I recognize defeat when I see it) I ordered a press 4 ton DabPress

I’m pretty sure I will catch some flac over ordering the press…(but at least she didn’t catch me standing on her hair tool) :innocent:

5 Likes

bet you really like it

This reminds me of “ hot knifing”. A friend of mind engaged in such activity back in the day when the bottom knife slipped and burned him below his nose. Can’t imagine a iron slipping.

3 Likes

Ahahhhaa, that was pretty cool, huh. I haven’t thought of that for years.

That, and smoking hash from the head of a pin, stuck through a piece of cardboard, and covered by a glass. Light the nug of hash on the pin and put the jar over it until full. Then, slide the glass to the edge of the table/counter, and bend down and suck all the smoke out of the glass. You don’t waste a crumb of hash doing it like that. We were teens and trying to make it go farther. :v:

3 Likes

I love mine. Sure, it’s the lowest end model, but I’ve been very pleased with the unit and see no need to upgrade for my purposes.

1 Like

That’s what I’m hoping for, a good personal use press…

1 Like