Input on my amendment mix

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you organic heads out there can ease my mind a bit. Ill be growing a semi heavy feeder and wanted your input on this amended mix. I used to have access to this amazing mix but its no longer available.

Ill be using FFOF as my base because its so cheap here and doesnt even make sense to start with straight peat. Its never done me wrong.

Per each cu ft of FFOF
-2.5 cups craft blend
-3 cups buildasoil mineral mix(basalt,gypsum,oyster shell)
-15% ewc
-15% pumice

And I have a huge amount of kelp laying around. Maybe throw a little of that in the mix? 1/8 cup, 1/4 cup maybe? I love that stuff lol.

Also plan to top dress with craft blend at onset of stretch, and probably once after.

A couple teas along the way.

3 Likes

I’d boost the EWC to 20~25%
maybe a cup of DE for slow release silica?
I like adding a cup of alfalfa and kelp as well.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Damn bro you are always so helpful lol. With everything thank you.

I like that though. Per cubic foot correct?

Craft already seems fairly low in phos. What about adding some seabird or other guano on top of that to balance ratios out? Or is the mineral mix gonna add enough?

Maybe add it into my craft blend top dress?

1 Like

Have you done this mix before?

Ocean Forest is already a packed soil. In my experience, pre-mixing anything into it will give you nitrogen toxicity. Pumice is cool. Oyster shell and gypsum is cool. Always need more calcium. Always. What is ewc?

I think rock dusts are kind of foo foo because they’re all 10 to 13 percent aluminum. Straight up. That aint cool. I’m sure it has it’s place, though.

Personally, I would run the Ocean Forest + calcium straight for 3 to 4 weeks. Then top dress every 2 to 4 weeks with dry amendments for the rest of the grow. That’s my general soil strategy. And make sure to pump that calcium.

Buildasoil does a lot of test on their stuff including their minerals. So I feel comfortable trying the rock dust out.

I do have a bale of premier peat moss. The green and white one. But it has so much shit in it for some reason. Bunch of twigs and bark. I added it to my ocean forest for veg and I really dont like the texture of my soil.

I could sift it out and add a ton of aeration and just use that as my base. Maybe throw in a bag of ocean forest and dial back the recommended 4 cups per cubic foot they recommend for plain peat.

I was also thinking of starting the mineral mix amend early. To help get the oyster shell and basalt broken down some. Then adding the craft a couple weeks before flower.

1 Like

If you can, try to get a soil test. That way you can amend with what it needs and then you’re really cooking!

2 Likes

Well im starting from scratch.

I think ill just work this peat really well. Start this mineral mix early to start getting that bio available.

Then just do their recommended craft dose a couple weeks before i transplant for flower.

And prolly throw a bag of ocean forest in there.

Should work out great but thatll be my starting point.

1 Like

Correct, per cubic foot.
I like ‘cooking’ the phos. in. i.e. add a few weeks early and let it settle in but I have top dressed (with Gaia Green mineralized phosphate) without issues in flower.

Cheers
G

1 Like