Introduce Yourself @OG (Part 1)

Thanks @Jango!

5 Likes

Welcome @antheis @NoTelling
super friendly community here, don’t be afraid to ask questions if you have any.

4 Likes

Hey OG!
JustKanna here,
I’m from a small town in Southern Ontario, Canada. Been a long time lurker on a lot of forums including og, so I’m stoked to join some conversations and share some pictures I’ve taken over the years. I’m a big time seed freak, and love to collect from my favourite breeders, like Bodhi, Stray, Karma, Archive etc.
I also enjoy seed-making(chucking) as a hobby and means to preserve lines I enjoy growing.
Thanks for having me!

15 Likes

Hi and welcome JustKanna, great you joined us all at OG, have fun☺

5 Likes

Welcome fellow Canadian gardener!

5 Likes

Welcome to OG @JustKanna , happy to see you join us. I am in Ontario too, lot’s of Canadians here. Check out the Canadian thread if you feel like it.

6 Likes

So I’m fairly new to all of this.
I worked in high tech for 50yrs…yup, 50 :)…starting with Nike Hercules Missile systems up in Alaska in the 70s. We always heard about Matanuska Red up there, but I never came across any. The Matanuska valley had the most fertile soil in North America at the time, or so it was said.
That, combined with 22hrs of sunlight in the summer made for excellent grows, I’d guess :slight_smile:
Anyway, I live in Maine now, where everything is legal, growing, smoking, medical, recreational…everything.
That being said, there are some pretty stupid rules, but easy enough to navigate :slight_smile:
Like if you grow outdoors, your plants can’t be identifiable with the naked eye from the road. So all of a sudden there are these weird structures in everyone’s backyard. Like fences covered with green tarps so you can’t see what’s inside. Like what else COULD POSSIBLE be inside? LOL
Anyway…I’ve grown outdoors the past 2yrs, and did ok. Never really measured yield, don’t want the pressure :slight_smile: I still have some of last year’s harvest, and that’s after giving away many gallon ziplock bags stuffed tight.
We don’t smoke, but we like edibles. I make butter, then use butter for caramels. After dinner we enjoy 1-2 caramels while watching TV, then we get a really good night’s sleep.
If anyone wants the recipe, let me know!

Great site, great folks, great knowledge…this is the way.

Lob

16 Likes

Welcome to OG!

I would love that caramel recipe, please.

2 Likes

Me too please they sound good .

1 Like

Should I post it here?..or should it be somewhere else?

Lob

3 Likes

I’d say good here

2 Likes

Hey all, I like this forum a lot but I’m killing all my seedlings. I started with like 4 seeds in starter pots but all of them have died- one was going well but I killed it by feeding it something waaayy too hot. I have 1 seeding growing in my tent and… it’s bending from stretching. Im losing hope because it’s getting too late to do what I want to do.

Im completely new to growing. I have no idea what im doing about anything. I think my light is too high elevated above my seedlings, but then again it’s a 1000w white led. I’ll take pictures when I get home, but please if you have the patience, check on what im doing. I’m not trying to be an idiot with questions, I’m not a cop. Im just killing seeds and it’s getting late in the season. Thanks.

6 Likes

my OG kush seedling. I have this held up with a paper clip in my grow tent because it was bending. That is seed residue on the colytedon.

4 Likes

There are actually 2 parts, the butter, and the caramels.
These are just MY takes on both of these. The internetz is your friend, and there are TONS of articles on both, so this is just how I do it. It’s what’s worked well for us here on the coast of Maine :slight_smile:
So…pitter patter, let’s get at 'er.

Butter…
I put 1.5oz of weed in a pot with 1lb + 1 stick of butter. People usually use 1oz, but my weed isn’t trimmed for smoke, so has more leaves in it. I use the 5 sticks of butter because a lot of butter has a high water content, and you’re going to lose a bit of volume when you simmer it.

Now…caramels.
A lot of recipes have some fairly complicated procedures. It’s rubbish, imho.
I put all the ingredients in a big pot, bigger then you think you’ll need for when it foams up, and bring it up to 248degF.

Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk.
2 cups sugar
2 cups corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter

Bring all of that up to temp, and STIR NONSTOP, slowly so as not to burn anything on the bottom of the pot. When you start this, the mixture will be almost clear/white. As it starts coming up to temp, you’ll see it turn to a light brown, then a darker brown.
Take it off the heat at 248degF, add 2 tablespoons of vanilla, and let it sit to start to cool.
While it’s cooling, take a 9X9 pan and line it with foil. Then spray the foil with cooking oil. I forgot to do this once?..not good.
Pour the caramel into the pan and let it set for 2-3hrs, until it’s firm enough to cut.
Before cutting sprinkle the top lightly with sea salt. A little goes a long way.
Spraying the knife with cooking oil will help with the cutting.

Enjoy!!!

15 Likes

They look delicious!

2 Likes

Thanks. All of our retired friends refer to them as “sleep aids”.
My neighbor has about 4acres of lawn to mow…so that’s his use case :slight_smile: Calls it mowing candy.

6 Likes

Hahaha I need some mowing candy

4 Likes

Yeah me too!! Lol

Those caramels look so soft, and good!

I’m afraid to make them, my wife would eat them all before I could even get to tell her they were edibles!

4 Likes

At that color, they’re actually almost a hard candy, but soften up as soon as you start to suck on them :slight_smile:

And yeah, almost need 2 batches, sorta like cookies or brownies. 1 “special” and 1 regular.

Oh…and they take about an hour to “kick”…

Lob

4 Likes

Keep remembering things…lol

It’s good to make some different sizes when you cut. I usually do about 1" squares, but nice to have some smaller ones too.
I have 1 “large” and 1 “small”. Mrs Lob sticks with 1 large.

5 Likes