Jelly's Cab Adventures

Honestly?
I’ve grown with all kinds of lights. CFL, Screw In LEDs, Flourescent tubes of multiple types, (T8, T5, T5Ho, PLL (which is bent t5s) ) and i’ve never had these kinds of nugs. Density, trichome production, size, and all around fast plant growth.

edit: oh, and multiple HPS (ranging from 70w-600w)

If you aren’t looking into leds, you should. Specifically Solstrips. The cost per watt is right at or under 1$ per watt, and you don’t have to change bulbs, they don’t fade over time, are better on your wallet both upfront cost and running costs. Heat management is simple, most setups would be fine in open air unless you’re really driving them near max.

All in all, I paid 506$ or so for my 10 strip array start to finish, and that gets me the ability (with proper driver of course) to run 480w. Of course I’m not running them that hot, but it’s nice to know I could. :slight_smile:

Actually, IIRC because I went with the HLG-320H-24A, my final cost was only 400 or so, I found the driver cheap on ebay.

The real amazing thing I noticed, and I mentioned it quite a bit earlier in my thread. There are much less shadows under the leaves when using strips like these. They have so many light point of origins that it penetrates the canopy and even the lower buds while smaller, get very dense as well.

If you’re on the fence, don’t be, come on over and have some beer an chicken! Get yourself some high quality affordable leds man, your plants will thank you!

11 Likes

I went ahead and ordered the 21lb bag of @GreenleafNutrients MegaCrop. I like it that much, and, I want to be prepared for my next round. I still have a little of the sample bag left, but i’m lovin it.

It really does appear to be an all in one solution. I just like that it keeps well in my res. I think I want to up my res size though, if I run 6 plants next round, 5 gallons is gonna go pretty fast once they start drinking heavy.

7 Likes

cheers mate i have a 60x60x180 grow tent and was looking at 4 cob cbx3590 with meanwell hlg? driver or 6 solstrips or 4 sollstrips and 2 red and blue solstrips with meanwell hlg? driver were i live i have to keep heat down keep it stealth what would you suggest for veg and bloom someone said 3500k or a mix ?

2 Likes

Yup, that’s textbook reveg. :+1:

1 Like

Hrmm… Are you planning on using the full height? the 4 CXB3590 may penetrate better/further but if you are training for an even canopy i’d go with the solstrips.

If your tent is well ventilated (4" or even 6" fan)
I’d go with 4x SolStrip, 2x Solstrip r&b, get a meanwell HLG-240H-24A and adjust them down to about 33w per strip/200w total.
I’d set up my array like this
[S] [R&B] [S] [S] [R&B] [S]
where [S] is a solstrip and [R&B] is the solstrip red and blue.

The cobs will penetrate better especially with lenses but at the expense of light point of origins. You couldn’t really go wrong either way but I wouldn’t cram more than 250w of power in a 2x2 tent simply due to lack of real estate to utilize for growing.

The Solstrip setup described above will run you about 280$ USD, depending on how much the driver runs you. With the solstrips being 18" long (45cm ish) they will fit real nice in your tent. Space them every 5-7 cm and you’ll have plenty of room for adjustment.

For the 4X CXB3590 i’d run an HLG-185H-C1400A/B
You’d have to wire the cobs in series, this would give you a max of 200w, driving each cob at roughly 50w
I haven’t priced the components to build an array like this, but between the cobs, holders, lenses, driver, heatsinks, the crap adds up quick. A DIY kit on timbergrowlights runs 379 dollars for reference.

3 Likes

Alright @casperdeigh I think I’m done editing that post now lol.

For everyone else, Today I washed my res, refilled with plain PH’d water.

ALL the trichomes are cloudy, and about 20% are turning amber. I looked at 3 different buds on each plant and this was consistent. So, Even tho the pistils aren’t done/brown, the SSH’s are about where I wanna chop them. So, when the res runs out, it’s chop time. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think you are going to enjoy this harvest.

Plant sounds done or close enough.

1 Like

The best part, this one will have PLENTY of time to cure, at least 2 months. I’m gonna need to pick up more jars tomorrow lol.

I was also thinking about picking up those nifty little meters that display RH too… time to go shopping lol.

4 Likes

A good problem to have :grin:

2 Likes

@Cobra50 just tagging you for when you have an hour or so to check out what 320w of them new fangled LEDs can do :wink: if you need any help figuring out what you wanna run, myself and plenty others such as @Roux @Mr.Sparkle and many many more are more than willing to share our combined knowledge with you brother.

Fun fact I’ve always wanted a 93 cobra R

3 Likes

@Jellypowered, That’s always been a favorite of mine as well.

When I was buying my Fiesta, there were two 2014 Mustang GTs in the showroom. They were the new 5.0 liter, the all aluminum one. I had time to kill, so I played car-car for a while read all the specs. One of them was blown. This blown Mustang was producing more than 640 HP, the one that wasn’t running a blower, was making more than 500 HP.

Made me think: It is possible to find Cobra R for sale, but, it’d be HUGE$. Those new street Mustangs out power every version Cobra R made. They may not handle like an all out racer, but a Griggs Racing suspension could fix that. And it would be a fraction of the cost of the R. If I had the money, would I go for the prestige of a Cobra R or would I buy a need GT and throw a Griggs setup on and use the remaining money to move to a state where weed is legal? :thinking:

An hour? Are you in driving distance from SE Wisconsin? I have time now and a full tank of gas…

3 Likes

Haha no sir, I’m more than a tank of gas away and from the sounds of it, with the hot rod blood running through your veins you’d need to fill up before you ever left state.

I meant check out my thread haha, I’m sure you got that but I’m that socially awkward guy who feels the need to clarify lol.

Yeah, a cobra R would be very cost prohibitive… but as you said, prestige. You just can’t get that look outta modern day engineering. I love smooth lines but there was something about all those square bodied hot rods from the 80’s and early 90’s

Hell, I could buy two or three loaded coyote powered 'stangs for the price of a nice mint “R”

3 Likes

@Jellypowered,
That could mean that socially awkward people tend to grow their weed 'cause that makes two of us. :wink: I was visiting a thread by @Roux when your notification came up. I will look at your thread too. You sound like you have plants that you have grown with it, Roux’s thread is a DIY lamp project. I am always looking to save a bit of green on my electric bill. And the 750 hps makes a lot of heat. I need to keep my flowering door wide open all the time to keep it livable for the plant life.

It sure ain’t for the comfort! Prestige is a very strong motivator, but as long as I am dreaming, I think I could settle for the blown GT and a new home in Colorado, or Vermont, or California. No wait. Not Vermont. If I was to move to a place with that much snow, it’d be Canada.

2 Likes

I don’t know what it is called, but my top buds always do that. I find that to be a good time to harvest those buds. If my inventory is getting low, I harvest the tops and let the remaining plant got another 2 weeks. The remaining gain quite a bit of weight during that time. I only have so much room in my grow areas and I have a schedule to keep to, so I usually just harvest the entire plant when the tops grow fingers.

My reason for doing this is it starts to get very leafy. If you let it grow more fingers, the nice tight bud that spawned them gets looser and as you can see when you look at the bud up close, the fingers contain a large mount of bud leaves. These leaves are covered in thc, but they don’t have the same flavor as the flower. They get a bit harsher. You don’t even notice it when there is flower in the pipe with the bud leaves, but smoke a bowl of mainly bud leaves and you’ll see it loses something you liked.

1 Like

@Jellypowered,
I looked over your pics of your grow box and lights. So you say you are using 320 watts in there? Can you change the color of the leds? I mean is there a blue mode for vegging and a red mode flowering? Is this the grow box that produced 5-6 ozs. for you? I can’t really tell from the picture, what are the dimensions of it? Also, when you say day 58F, does this mean 58 days in flowering?

I can’t imagine growing in such a small space anymore. My Blonde plant averages 34" tall and my Purple plant averages 38" tall at harvest. My veg chamber is 24"x68"x48". My flowering room is 4’x10’x8’

1 Like

Lots of questions there, I won’t be able to give you a good n proper response until I’m back at a computer but I’ll hit a few key points right now.

2’ x 3’ x 3’
320w of 3500k Leds (specifically SolStrips, they use 96 Samsung LM561c diodes per strip)
58F does refer to days in flower yes.

I’m not sure how much you have picked up about these types of led lights, and this isn’t cold hard facts but I’ll do my best to explain it as I understand it. With white light LEDs your color choice has all your needed wavelengths in one. Having a hps for flower and a MH for veg is a thing of the past with these types of LEDs. Same goes for discrete cobs (larger chip on board led arrays)

Right now I am considered a micro/small cab grower, and no the 5-6 ounces was grown under a 400w hps and I had all kinds of issues during that grow.

Once I have my house built this year I’ll be building either a bunker or converting a new Shed into a dedicated grow space. I plan on two separate 4x4x8 rooms in this area.

I only grow for meds, and this is more of a money saving hobby for me, so it’s a win win that wifey let’s me spend on all the new toys lol.

Hopefully this reply wasn’t too hard to read I’m mobile right now. I can’t post with my usual gusto haha

2 Likes

Not at all. So the white is actually the same wavelengths as natural sunshine. Hmm. Cool.

I think most of us here can say the same. I started growing when dealer weed was about $260/oz. I thought that was way too high. The prices they get for the stuff today is mind numbing. My grow cost me about $80/month in electricity (plus whatever toys I get for it :grin: )

Peace brother, it’s time for bed…

3 Likes

Hey there @Cobra50 , the term full spectrum white LEDs just mean they output in blue, green, yellow, and red light (it appears white to us). The red and blue diode days are behind us I believe, and the future is full spectrum.

The color temperature is designated by 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K…etc (people also reference this by saying warm or cool). This is a phosphorous coating on the diode to slightly move the spectrum from warm to cool. Allowing certain wavelengths through while limiting others.

Now when an LED has a CRI (color rendering index) this means the higher the number say CRI of 90 the more the light will be reflected from the items color base. The lower the number, colors are more dull…Now although there are some threads out there (not on OG) that have comparative grows with different CRI ratings. I don’t believe the plants care, as they just care about the wavelengths and not the visible light. So the higher CRI rating doesn’t mean the better…however there are some pros to having a higher CRI.

There are countless other pros with LED you don’t get with older light sources, such as viewing angles, efficacy, light dispersal, customization, and precision controlled.

Hope this helps! And good luck in your journey my friend!

7 Likes

Thank you for that awesome and informative post! I’d do it but I’m traveling for business away from my zone lol

1 Like

I figured you were traveling and wouldn’t mind if I jumped in :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like