"Jungle-woofer" = super-stealthy hifi-speaker growbox

Awesomeeee. Looks great. I wanna do this same thing for a little auto boxXD

1 Like

Thanks SOG!

That would indeed be true, but this mini speaker is not my main place to grow really, and this is only a test to see if the LED is ok. :slight_smile: I often use that GREAT lamp in the sky otherwise, and nowadays there exist such great autoflower-strains, and many/most of them can fully mature even here in Finland if you know what you’re doing at all (and the season is not a complete raindrop of course, then nothing can really save it anyway, anywhere…). This JungleWoofer thingy is something I designed to share as a solution if someone somewhere really can not, or dare not have anything even “normal”-sized going on, or need to have the chance to transport the whole thing just like that even mid-growcycle (for example in a big rucksack) or for whatever other sneaky reason… :innocent: Larger speaker-mods can at least be transported upright in most cars.

2 Likes

Yeap, that is also what I’ve read, but is it really that bad, can it harm the whole root system eventually? I could of course cover it with something easy enough, if it is… This is the first time I use anything transparent, because it’s just a rather quick test that the LED lamp works for growing greens at all. Some other time when I have the time for it I will grow a good strain with time and dedication in this little speaker, looking forward to it! :four_leaf_clover:

Thanks!! -And that would be “great” to see! :grin: I find my obsession over tinkering with mini plants a bit amusing, especially now that I have seen some videos of the outdoor “TREE orchards” of California… :deciduous_tree: :astonished: -It’s just that I don’t, luckily, need much at all in quantity (maybe 1/20 of what some people I know, and they don’t use that much either…) Still reckon I’m not the only super-lightweight on Earth that likes his/her own homegrown, so that’s also a reason for sharing the design of this miniature setup…

1 Like

Yes youll have a 101 problems with the clear pot along with the pot being as small as it is. What you could do is make the whole floor a pot. Just poke some holes in bottom for drainage:)

1 Like

Ok, I shall cover it up. I suppose it was a joke on your part to poke holes in the bottom of the speaker? Because the design of the air intake needs to be pretty much as it is, otherwise air will not flow without light leaking out, or in. There are of course other designs to manage that, but this is the simplest I’ve found yet for light proof air intake.

DAY-9

&

-Took Alpine’s and Lotus’ advice and covered up the pot today (with some thick darkbrown synthetic felt material I had…). In fact, some algae had already started growing on the walls inside the pot (photos below…), so it was good to get it done now before the algae gains any more energy.

On the bright side, the algae also looked healthy enough, so one more sign that the LED is probably ok and life-giving indeed! :grin:

3 Likes

I wanted to try mini mother-room with this type of LED lights but did not have the courage so I use CFL :slight_smile: It seems very good. Plants looks very strong and healthy. I also like,that you´ve somehow managed ideal temperature(26C) in so small box with ease. Maybe in future I reconsider my 4x20w LED reflectors idea. It´s cheap, with low consumption and with much higher lifetime than any other source for growth. Thanks for testing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to hear Ragus!

It is, for some reason, a quite common misconception in the growing community (also here in Finland…) that computer fans are not strong enough to give good airflow. This is only true together with HiD …like HPS and MH lightning… and only because these lights give off a lot of hot air; it is TOO hot for computer fans to be situated in (inside the air channel…). I remember max. working temperature for computer fans is around 70-80c? But the air that goes out from a space that has only LED or CFL or Induction lightning is usually max 50c, so all good! :relaxed:

So, you can quite easily make a DIY air exit-tube/-channel out of a big cardboard sheet, and nothing more than strong scissors or hobby knife, heat glue pistol & duct tape, and inside tube/channel you put two or three or four 120mm good quality computer fans, one after each other, with around 25mm (millimeter) space between them to reduce turbulence! (it is a bit the same principle as with the “turbo” function of car motors, someone told me.) Having many (at least two…) fans in a row like this increase airflow capacity ENORMOUSLY as they kind of “help each other” pull the air. But it is very important to have them situated last before the air exit, so they pull, NOT push the air, from the grow space and out. Same with most stronger fans also, but with computer fans it is much more important, as otherwise they don’t really work so good. Also, preferably don’t have any bends in the air channel/duct, or very long one either. Needs to be as effective as possible! :leaves: When you make the channel, mark and make a hole with a nail or pencil in the cardboard where the electonic cables from the fans (twist all wires together, blacks and reds separately, cut away the yellow ones… -and rather do not use “PWM” computer fans; they have 4 wires and can be easier to mix up…) will go out. The connect these twisted wires to a strong “power adapter” as in my example above in the guide…

-There you would have created a very silent system, and still effective enough to cool any living/grow space that has only LED or CFL or Induction lightning setup. But, it can of course be quite a lot of work to make such a ventilation system yourself, compared with what you can just buy in a shop. But, it is as I mentioned very silent, in fact more silent than really anything you can get in a shop! And if you are someplace far from civilization, or just otherwise off-grid, you could run a LED/CFL/Induction lightning + computer-fan-ventilation system even with only solar & wind power + enough batteries of course; all 12V or converted with inverter. :innocent:

I used fans the same way in my old mother-room with 125W CFL. Putting the fans one after each other helps to solve airflow resistance caused by static environment (pipes, curves, plants and other objects in box). One 12V source is enough for both which reduces noise too. I used 4 fans in pairs for that CFL. LEDs are much cooler.

1 Like

Nice! :slight_smile: In my experience 4 fans with one 12V source, if it is around 2Amp, can cool much more than 125W CFL, even when it runs on only 9V. Then you can set it up to full 12V when the plants are half way or so into flower and it is even more crucial to have good airflow through the plants.

LEDs… I don’t know as I don’t have that much experience, but many people say they also warm up the grow space according to their power, they just don’t radiate any heat/warmth towards the plants, and that is why it is better to have the ambient temps in the grow space a few degrees warmer, like around 30-32c, rather than around 25-27c…

-because the whole thing about that 25-27c as being optimal temp for flowering is researched mostly with HPS/MH lightning as I understand, and those lamps radiate A LOT of heat towards the plants, so to compensate for that you keep the room a bit cooler…? Everything plays in of course, CO2 as well.

Here is some good info about Leaf Surface Temperature, in regards to this:

http://www.iunu.com/efficient-photosynthesis-leaf-surface-temperature/
http://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/cbt-032316-led-transition-lighting-testing/

https://www.420magazine.com/forums/cultivation-scientific-data/247745-other-lst-why-plants-under-leds-favor-higher-temps-best-growth.html

:relaxed:

2 Likes

On day-10 feeded with some BioBizz Grow as the the leaf color looked a bit out of balance on a couple plants. Could of course also be individual plant weakness to something that the others don’t mind too much…

DAY-11

&

&

&

&

DAY-13

-As you can see, a lot of males, but luckily(?) not all I think. Maybe they are starting to flower this early because they are stressed with their very shallow root space? Anyway, Finola males usually start showing preflowers after max.3 weeks, healthy or not, as long as the “wheather” is warm enough. So maybe after a week there will be some females showing already? I think I can spot one already, but let’s see. :relaxed:

&

&

-Not 100% if it is, but I think I can see the early stages of trichomes starting do develop already on the above Finola male plant, if you zoom in on the leaves…

&

2 Likes

Lookin good i love male plantsXD i hope that part about the black dog leds arnt trueXD more like they are the best rebranders and upping the price on china ledsXD

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Thanks Lotus :relaxed:

I just included black dog because they (also) had really good & understandable info on Leaf Surface Temperature (seems i learned something new now when i read through it more in depth this time…). But I can’t imagine that the company creates shit products, perhaps a bit or a lot “overprized” though…

Hi SOG! Yea that AK47 male is looking fantastic! Also the pollinated ones of course, real frozty! :yum:

-wanna trade a few AK47 dragon-eggs for some Finola ones? (just kidding, as you can most likely order a pound of organic good-to-sprout Finola seeds from a health food shop in Canada for like 10 bucks I would think… They grow fields of them over there, mostly for food, not the CBD, yet… :grin: )

Update on the mini jungle… which I for some wicked reason completely overwatered (as you can see from the photos below…) and had to end. :worried: Well, I learned to never again have no drainage holes in the bottom of any pot! Anyways, better to learn it like this and not with a more important grow… So, next time probably just 1 feminized photosensitive strain, in a fat but low breathable fabric pot, standing on a thin layer of gravel in that same plastic container… should be a bit different. :relaxed:

DAY-15

&

&

&

&

&

DAY-18

&

&

-Ok, that’s all for now folks. Thanks for watching, and do link/copy/print this guide to anyone/anywhere that could have use of it! :four_leaf_clover:

And if I put the next mini-grow in another thread, I’ll put a link to it also here… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hello! :seedling:

I finally got done a grow in a “jungle-woofer”… same design just a bit larger box this time. Still very small though. :grin:

It’s over at the grow diaries…
(In the “Jungle-woofer” : Little Miss Finola Foxtail (high CBD))

-momo

4 Likes

This Is really sick,I don’t have a lot of dyi tools as a drill,and I am going to try a new cardboard box since the One I have Is leaking light like a Christmas tree in living room