Just got back my 1st soil test! Help Needed

Microbes? From where?

Yes, top dress at transplant. The instructions are something like 1/4 cup per plant.

Most likely it comes from gypsum. I know there is some of that in the craft blend, they also add it to their soil blends.

1 Like

Langbeinite is also in craft blend. @Phil_Bombs do you have cover crops?

1 Like

Seems really low in N to just topdress. I’d mix some kinda meal in to the soil, add worms and cover crop, top dress accordingly and retest after harvest.

1 Like

Well, that looks familiar :wink:

Mine was pretty similar 2023 "Field of Dreams" - #114 by FieldEffect

I made a calculator and as suggested by anyone serious read Steve Solomon’s "The Intelligent Gardener

I spent a couple weeks reading and learning enough to make these changes 2023 "Field of Dreams" - #168 by FieldEffect (scroll down to post 170 for the spreadsheet)

Anyway, happy to help you out and send you my spreadsheet but can’t get into that until tomorrow morning when I get back home.

You can Google Steve Solomon soil test worksheets (they are free online) but there’s some values you’re going to need to derive from the MySoil test, like CEC. It’s not hard, but I got a little overwhelmed as you can read in my thread. Anyway, it’s not that bad.

I’ll get back at you tonight or tomorrow morning. The spreadsheet will help because you can see exactly how many PPM you will add. It’s going to be shockingly small quantities of the micros, grams.

Basically, my suggestion is:

1. Figure out how to calculate your CEC (google is your friend)
  2. Complete Steve Solomon soil worksheet
  3. Calculate target values
  4. Decide on which amendments you want to use
  5. Finalize quantities and apply

CEC calculation requires the cation PPMs (K, Ca, Mg, Na - which you have) and pH.

5 Likes

I never throw out. Just a good solid flush out and reamend if anything.
I’m not to familiar with the craft blend but it is good to see on paper what it’s providing

That’s an interesting note @ReikoX that gypsum can provide sulphur. Good to know as both have ended up in my soil over the years

4 Likes

@Phil_Bombs

Your CEC seems to be about 11.5, nice.

Steve Solomon’s “The Intelligent Gardener” worksheets recommend the following levels:
N: 50-150ppm
P: 165ppm
K: 165ppm
S: 35ppm (but really no known upper limit)
Ca: 1565ppm
Mg: 330ppm
Na: 0ppm (we don’t want any of that)
Fe: 75ppm
Mn: 50ppm
Zn: 16.5ppm
Cu: 5ppm
B: 2ppm

I ran through what I would ammend with. That’s just what I would do, you do you of course. Certainly I recommend not just blindly following my suggestions. I’m relatively new at this just made this calculator to help me with my ammendments. I’d see what the sages recommend based on those target levels, which don’t indicate you are really high in any of your levels. The whole concept is abundance, most soil testing is based on minimum financially “sufficient” targets. So they are much higher than test facilities will call “adequate” or “optimum”

In summary, I’d add about 100g blood meal (N+Fe), 100g feather meal (N), 400g seabird guano (P+Ca), 100g epsom salt (Mg to balance the Ca from the guano), 30g iron sulfate (get that iron level fixed), 10g manganese sulfate, 5g zinc sulfate, 2g copper sulfate, 1 gram of borax. BTW since I did my gardens I have all those sulfates I’d be happy to weigh them out and send you the correct quantities for free. I have no idea how else I’m going to plow through 3 pounds of copper sulfate doling out single grams at a time :rofl:

The spreadsheet here (replace .pdf with .xlsx to run it) has lots of rows for ammendments I’ve investigated and use. Just modify the D column values for quantity (in kg, so a gram is 0.001) and the Calculated/Ammended result will update.

Soil Calculator 14jul23 Phil_Bombs.pdf (48.6 KB)

6 Likes

Wow thanks so much everyone for the feedback. This community is awesome!

@FieldEffect - you are the man! I will send a PM. I think I agree with your thought process more than others here even though I appreciate everyone’s feedback…

I’m not sure about the logic of just throwing more craft blend and calling it a day. Yes, that will certainly increase the N along with all the other big ones which are already super high! I think BOS has an A+ sales department and I’d like to think it’s that easy but unfortunately for me, I don’t think that’s the case.

3 Likes

Agree. I thought Boron guy preached the ways of gypsum

1 Like

@Bayarealivingsoil - i agree and thank you for all the help! i have never done a cover crop. any suggestions?

1 Like

Many Cannabis cover crop seed blends available. BAS has one. Amazon has a few. 13 varieties and like 50% clover.

Uncle Jim’s EWC will have bonus worms in em, getting the life going. Mulch with straw 2-3 inches. You got this. Oh yeah SIPs are a game changer.

Peace

2 Likes