2023 "Field of Dreams"

Just waiting on the MAP and some rest for my back now. Damn. I’m worn out, this raking and shoveling is a lot of work.

Here’s the supplies ready to go:

The big stuff (castings, clay, humic, gypsum):

Micronutrients weighed out to the 1/10 gram:

Micronutrients sprinkled onto the already mixed big stuff:

Thoroughly mixed. Beatiful pile of ammendment in person.

Some 2 hours of back-bending labor to get all the beds done.

The result:

Front veggie bed:

Suprised? Not really I guess, I just didn’t think I’d get this deep this season. I did guess it’d be a tad more incremental than a truckload of learning all at once. Figured soil test would come back moderately balanced and I’d be adding fertilizer in an appropriate ratio. DID NOT bargain on having to understand [feel like it’s still surface level] soil pH, and cation/anion balance, exchange capacity, micronutrients, etc. I absolutely do LOVE getting my teeth into something. When I’m on the brink of mentally grasping something I have a really hard time stopping. It’s an addiction too, just a fairly productive one. At least it has been, generally. Sometimes I wish I had more control over my thoughts and could guide them more efficiently. With time, I’m still a young whippersnapper.

We’ll see how this goes. I hope it is the best yet. It’s had more energy: physical and mental, invested than any other attempt I’ve made, that’s for sure.

10 Likes