Landrace Expansion & Trade

Almost every strain that is comprised of these three landraces has some variation of skunk flavor and/or taste, depending on how they were mixed.

Underground Seed Collective has a nice strain called ColJam (Colombian Gold x Jamaican Lambsbread) that crossed two inbred lines to create a pure sativa F1 cross. These are 14/16 week plants that can grow pretty tall and have very nice yields.

I grew some years ago and most of the phenos were orange/fruity, spicy w/haze, but I had one lone pheno that smelled like spicy peach and tasted like spicy peach haze.

6 Likes

I have the red hair Mex , oaxacan, acupulco and cantalope haze, I suspect the red hair is the original skunk cross they mixed with mexi sativas, it flowers much faster then a typical ssativa.

4 Likes

Saw so many different strains over there but most of them was 1.20 - 1.50 straight single colas. Big enough to do a homerun on them. But that was on the west side of the island. One the east side they had more sativa varieties lanky tall ones. But not like the one abow… that looks like a kraken :heart_eyes::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: and what I know is that Peter tosh lived close to orange hill in the west. But its possible as the long time flowering sativa will flourish in Jamaica… it was pitch dark around 17.30-18.00 when I was there in February

Field from the west coast of Jamaica
And buds

Fields in the east coast
And buds
What you don’t see if you don’t zoom in close enough is that they put around 4-5 plants per hole and let them fight until one wins and gets all the space. Then they cut the others around to let it grow big and nice… but the highest iv seen was around 2 - 2.5 meters but not as thick when it comes to the buds

19 Likes

I am above the 45th parallel here closer to the OR/WA border. Problem here is the more recent flip from Mediterranean back to a maritime climate. For 3 years we had long late dry summers. Last year sucked and this one is doing the same; late cool spring with lots of rain. I tried forcing the Colombians early with light dep last year. It worked to a point, at least to get them to start blooming. The males resisted the longest. They still did not finish until December under lights. And they got PM.

Himalayan strains are variable. Even some from similar regions. I have several from Parvati, Manala, Nanda Devi, etc. Some are early October finishers, some are mid November. It seems that they vary from the elevation that they were gathered from. Best as I can tell anyway. Farther east and they get longer as well, like from Sikkim and Manipuri. Unlike my South and Central American strains, I did not collect these myself though. I want to run Kerala and Manipuri, but like you say, I need a heated greenhouse and lights. I think you need both to finish these off. Large plants indoors under lights in the fall are hard to manage. Bulb light has too narrow an energy range, whereas sunlight is full strength top to bottom. You also need de-humidifiers and fans. Lots of fans. Were that I lived in Sandy Eggo again. I could run these outdoors with no problem.

5 Likes

I live at the 35th parallel… about as far north as one can go to expect a sativa to finish outdoors… and we better have an Indian Summer too… just in case.

4 Likes

There are lots of heirlooms from NA. Like Bibblegum, ATF, OG Kush, Maui Waui, Cali-O, etc. But aside from hemp, no Cannabis landraces per se. Unless you consider Mexico as NA. Most maps of Mexico in Mexico show it as C.A. for Central America. Now more show Mexico as North America. Which technically (at least geologically) all of Central America really is. Then you get landraces in Mexico, recorded as brought as early as 1525 from Manila, Philippines to New Spain (Mexico). They were hemp strains originating from India and grown as hemp by the Spanish, but grown for the colas as a drug for making teas by the Indios for 400 years. Which is where the SW Mexico strains are/were from. But Cannabis was not here in the western hemisphere before 1500. It is an old world plant. So depending on your definition of a landrace, it varies. Colombian strains were brought there later from SE Asia. Hence the different flowering times of Mexican and Colombian strains. When Cannabis was brought and first grown in Colombia is not known. It was recorded as taken to Chile and planted in 1525 as well as Mexico. They needed hemp for sail and rope. Other European colonists also brought Cannabis to New England to grow as hemp, but they were European hump strains very low in THC. But some hemp strains in Virginia could well be considered as landraces, as they have been grown there since circa 1610. Also strains of WWII hemp have been growing wild in Indiana and the rest of the Midwest since 1940. So that is 80 years in the making.

8 Likes

The Brits, Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese were all big on growing Cannabis in their colonies. Hemp was critical to make sailcloth and rope. And they conquered the world with sailing ships. Even up and through WWII hemp was considered a critical strategic commodity. Typical strains grown in New England and the Atlantic states were from seed imported from Northern Europe. Hemp for rope and cloth were the main elements, and not so much seed for oil or food. Nor were colas for getting high outside of the Middle East, parts of Asia and Africa, other than the Indios in Mexico that I mentioned above.

7 Likes

Loooooong before that. Many excavations in Europe show seeds or evidence of hemp growing way back to 7000 BC (9000 years before present time). Some examples:

1700 BC Hemp seeds found in a grave in Romania
2000 BC Woven hemp mats found in a woman’s grave in Spain
3300 BC Cannabis seeds found in Lithuania archeological dig
3800 BC Hemp leaf imprints found on ceramics in central Europe along the Danube River
4500 BC Cannabis pollen found in Italy, likely cultivation
5600 BC Hemp pollen found in Estonia along river banks
7000-6000 BC Hemp seeds found in Romania in archeological digs

12 Likes

Thanks for all the knowledge and history guys. Here to be a sponge and absorb it…:+1:t3:

2 Likes

When you think of all those different navys back in the day.
Each made up of dozens to hundreds of military ships. Each one of those ships used 2 miles of heavy hemp ropes (not counting the smaller stuff). Oh, and the sails?
Yup, the world ran on hemp, everybody grew it.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Bottom bud is what used to blow through here once in a while, looks like fire…

1 Like

Potent indeed and fruity as well :drooling_face::drooling_face:

Loved everything they had over there!! Even the once they knew where imported as ICE and WW and more

1 Like

First off @PanchoVilla you are obviously very well-read and thank you for all the great information you’ve given us! However, what makes a landrace a landrace is debatable. Some people site time periods of at least fifty years necessary, others a hundred years, and some others don’t believe landraces of marijuana exist in the Western Hemisphere at all even after five hundred years or more . There are records of Jesuit French priests that came during the first explorations and observed hemp growing in Nova Scotia and on the banks of the st. Lawrence River before French, English, or Spanish explorers had been here . Perhaps dropped off by the Vikings 500 years earlier??? We may never know . …=“PanchoVilla, post:392, topic:28367, full:true”]

Quote=“PanchoVilla, post:392, topic:28367”]
Other European colonists also brought Cannabis to New England to grow as hemp, but they were European hump strains very low in THC
[/quote]

although for the most part this was true, and certainly true for the early hemp strains that were brought over , not all of what made it here were low in THC hemp plants… prior to World War II , whether a hemp plant had THC or not was not a priority . George Washington, a well-known friend of the Indians, wrote in his journal of separating the male and female plants of hemp,( and complaining that he was too late) which we know is not a practice in hemp farming. Jefferson spoke of sitting on his back veranda and smoking bowls of Indian hemp… which was slang for THC containing marijuana from the sub-continent of India… Lincoln enjoyed smoking his pipe of Indian hemp and playing his harmonica on his porch as well. In the late 1800s and the early 1900s Chinese Broad Leaf hemp was brought to this country. a variety from Japan was brought to the West Coast , and broadleaf hemp from China was brought to Kentucky becoming what we know as Kentucky hemp to this day. Chinese broadleaf hemp has the allele for THC production. All that is required to find a high THC broadleaf hemp plant is a bit of luck, as demonstrated in Columbia by a member of Instagram. Perhaps some of you’ve seen condor cannabis’s posts on instagram where they show a thc hemp plant.( I can’t locate my source of information right now but I remember Brazil or one of the Eastern South American countries briefly had broadleaf hemp) Indians were well known for their trading as well. Artifacts in New England have been placed as originating from Central America and South America. Important items such as seeds would surely have made the distance. I’m not positive where my buddies strain does come from, but I sure would like to find out ! The lawsuits of the Tuscarora Indians against the New York state government for not allowing them to grow their sacred plant are well known in our area. All I know is that it seems that this variety has been in my buddy’s family a very long time. Possibly pre-depression days or even much earlier. His family history in the area goes way back. I’m trying to locate the seeds. Either I was baked when I put them away or my wife moved them.( I vote Choice “A” LOL! ) since phylos isn’t an option I’m going to have to grow a few and get some opinions as to what they might be! I just wanted to raise the possibility of a North American landrace

7 Likes

The US has a lot of heirloom strains and I suspect some of these are localized landrace strains too.
There is too much cannabis history in this country to think there couldn’t be some landrace strains created in the last 400 years.

I met a family who has been working and growing a strain that their relatives made back in the 1890’s. They created the plant to use medicinally, but also use it for recreation. I would consider their heirloom strain a localized landrace.

9 Likes

[quote=“DesertGrown, post:400, topic:28367”]
would consider their heirloom strain a localized landrace
Interesting that they made their variety in the 1890s when broadleaf hemp was first introduced to North America. I don’t see why alot of the farm families wouldn’t have done something similar and got their own strain going, whether it be from broadleaf hemp or another source… After all it was one of the main medicines used back in the day. Localized landrace seems appropriate for a 130 year old heirloom . I believe a lot of the Columbian landraces came about in the 1930s when American pharmaceutical companies brought genetics from one of the Indonesian (?)islands down there just prior to Prohibition. Whatever was already there locally would have mixed with this new variety, or perhaps this new introduced variety is the Columbian landrace we all know adapted to different elevations and climates for the last hundred years , and morphing into the many landraces there today. I have heard the term cultivar used as well for old heirlooms. That makes sense as a term too. someday I hope there is clarification about exactly what makes a landrace, vs old heirloom. Either way, super cool old north american hoochie! do you happen to know how it grows? Does it have a similar tall habit? How does it smoke? I wonder how many of these other old heirlooms are out there? Perhaps passed around a hundred and thirty years ago amongst farmers? Perhaps more common then we think. Pot is still dangerous to talk about in much of Appalachia. legalization hits and some of these old heirloom types will pop out of the woodwork. Cant wait!

5 Likes

Lol!!! I just saw that! With this stupid social distancing i could use a european hump strain right about now! ( i just woke up… forgive me😂dang spell check )

Thats great info. Thanks. I thought elevation was key, and believe it is in most cases, but the longest flowering parvati strain i picked up is also the highest in elevation. Must be some stubborn sativa lovers in that village. ( like me) I’m sure its unusual to go later as you go up in elevation at the same latitude. Question for everybody here… malana is listed as 12-15 weeks. Rasol 11-15. And most others in this area have similar flowering times. They come from near the 30th parallel. I have read in the past that strains from this latitude will “autoflower” when grown further north? I dont mean after 25 days growth they flower, like a true autoflower, but that they begin flowering early enough that they can finish even where i am? Any truth to this statement? I’m trying to calculate the onset of flowering. Seems to me that with a mid november finish at 45 n (parvati) I would finish in early November at 42.5… I’ve been looking for the source of the info about that( autoflowering)…and can’t find it. You are all more accurate with this type of info anyway. I read this specifically about Durban, which I am running this season. 10-14 weeks and @lefthandseeds says close to the medium of 12 weeks… They won’t like the weather here after oct 7th. My idea is to finish them by this date. When do I start forcing them ? July 7th? And when can i stop covering them? Can they handle frost? Thanks @lefthandseeds for the durban photos and info a ways back. I’ve wanted to grow this landrace longer than any other, but with all the choices at hand i temporarily forgot that. Your pics and description sealed the deal for me!

Me too! Next year perhaps. Like you said…need heat and greenhouse for those. Too bad yr headed the wrong direction lately weather wise. There was a guy on icmag that “finished” manipur up in seattle! It was a bit scraggly but it did ripen. And he raved about it. Great, ridiculous resin coverage. Purple too. You have manipuri? If you want to try to make seeds i have an extra pack from rsc…i think seeds would finish where you are…:wink:

Yes indeed. I’ve done it. Light from 1000 watt bulbs travels maybe 3 or 4 feet into the canopy with proper lumens. I only had one at the time and it wasn’t enough for more than one or two plants. I’ll have to get prepared before i attempt an indoor finish with tropicals. I agree its best to finish outdoors.

2 Likes

Durban is up top on my list too. will be running @lefthandseeds Inside Soon also. This will be my first outside grow, At 42N, I’m thinking KISS. Have two Alaskan strains (MTF and Alaskan kush) that are for sure, maybe a GG4 because I know all her tricks.

3 Likes

Do you think it’s possible to make a sativa, through successive grows, adapt to a particular climate without breeding anything into it?

I grew a Colombian Gold x Malawi Gold last year that almost finished outside. I left it in a 3 gallon pot and had planned on moving it into a 7 gallon, but in retrospect I’m glad I didn’t. I did bring it inside on the cold nights to let it finish so I’m glad I didn’t put in a bigger pot.

That small pot actually kept the plant a perfect size at about 4 1/2 feet (1 1/2 m).

I was just fantasizing about growing a clone every year to try and make it adapt to my location. I’m at 37ºN and elevation of 6400ft (1950m).

If it can be done, how many generations would it take you think? I would love to finish them outdoors here.

4 Likes

I heard that the “Golds” became gold because they stripped a strand of skin off the stalk to start the plant dying. Is this the same as flushing at end to bring out colors during cure?

I am with you on pots Gman, gonna start running in gallons. Tested on my Thai and it will come in at around 4 feet. Too old and tall to be shuffling around 6-8’ indoor plants. I’m 6’2” and I can’t count how many nice tops I snapped of even with 10’high lights.

4 Likes

I’ve fried some colas by bumping into the light. They don’t like that I found out. I’m terrible about moving shit around constantly.

3 Likes