Landrace Expansion & Trade

I’d bet it’s a hybrid. Strains with “Thai” in the name are usually hybrids. Most pure Thai strains herm a lot or stretch like crazy, so a lot of the time they’ve been hybridized to make them more adaptable and accessible to other climates.

5 Likes

Purple Thai is a cross between Oaxacan Gold x Chocolate Thai.

It will grow into a very large plant if it has the space to do so. It’s also a heavy yielding strain.

4 Likes

How do you attach pics here? Will not copy and paste off my phone. Have lights at 9’ so she can get as big as she likes. Plant has huge wide leafs nodes stacking 1/2” apart, fan leaves are a perfect pinwheel and are trying to cover all the new shoots.

Any ideas on which it is??

Preformatted text

11 Likes

My SWAG is - it looks similar to Doctor Seedsman CBD 30:1 (about week 2) AKA CBD Asia (according to Seedsman PR).
I have 3 at the moment, just flipped to flower.

Cheers
G

looks a lot like the Purple afghan kush Pheno listed as fast finishing sativa?? Medmen show an old cross of that and a Thai landrace. Who knows, beautiful little plant for micro grows, short squat, at 6" tall my stalk is as big as my pinkie neon green with bright purple racing stripes and purple tips on new growth. first topping is growing out but shows no sign of stretching.
Update on the seeds:
2 morrocan beldia popped in 2 days
3 panama red all 3 popped in 3 days
3 MTF 1 on second day 2 cracking on day 3
3 Misc. good stock 3 on day 3

cracked on day 3

should get 100%, will be planting tomorrow or friday

13 Likes

So I won’t highjack this thread I Started up a thread in diaries on the new grow room and start of running landrace (or close). Feel free to comment.

Thanks all
8ter

Thread is “welcome to the jungle”

4 Likes

I saw you’re running the Moroccan. Very cool – will be following along.

2 Likes

Yep both popped in one day and are leading the pack with a mystery seed. All three Ace reds popped also, 1 needed a little help. May hit you up for seeding advise. This is my first run from seed ever.

2 Likes

For sure – any advice you need, just let me know. :+1:

2 Likes

very cool. I have a pack of the jaruba, which is jamaica x aruba. not sure when I’ll get the chance to start these, but I’m chomping at the bit.

will be very cool to see how the pure aruba expresses itself.

5 Likes

That sounds tasty, been looking for some older Jamaican genetics. Getting a blue mountain Gold x Lambs breath x columbian gold cross soon

6 Likes

Not much Jamaican out there is there? What a shame. I’ve heard of blue mountain and lamb’s breath, but surely there must have been several landraces. Who has Jamacain? Tropical seeds, cannabiogen, … anyone else? I was gifted some Jamaican seeds a few summers ago. What I tried wasn’t very potent , But the guy was able to finish one along the local Creek by the end of October. Sounds like it already had some Indica in it. What do you guys think? The other problem is I don’t know what I did with them and I don’t know if I labeled them…

1 Like

When I went to Jamaica a few years ago, we got some really good herb from a rasta. It definitely wasn’t strong though. Very sativa. I remember large foxtailed calyxes, like what you can find in Neville’s Haze. The high was very relaxing, functional. They gave us a shitload of it, and we just smoked it all day at the beach. I’d get ripped and then snorkel like 45 minutes way out into the ocean. Talk about having to learn a good sativa head game… Would have been easy to freak out, but it relaxed me just enough.

My best international experience with cannabis… I wish I would have kept seeds from the herb. I’d like to grow it.

I have a hybrid of lambs breath and blue mountain from southwest genetics. I’m not certain what it was that I smoked, but I’d guess blue mountain, since that’s near where we were.

10 Likes

Here’s a quick run down of what’s worked well for me when starting seeds with otherwise low germination or over all success rates. First, I think it’s helpful to know what’s going on in there. Seeds are alive in what’s basically hibernation before they’re germinated. I’m sure a lot, if not most, of this will be familiar. I’m going to be as thorough as possible so of some of this seems like stating the obvious that’s why.

The older the seeds are the more of their nutrient and growth hormones they’ve used up to maintain themselves through their hibernation. They also gradually dry out and develope a hard shell that makes it harder for water to penetrate the shell. The hardened shell also makes it that much harder for the weakened seed to break through with it’s depleted resources. I’m sure most of us have seen seeds that are slow to germinate but barely crack with a hardly visible taproot that doesn’t do much else. That’s why. They just don’t have what they need to do much else.

Normally I prefer to germinate strong fresh seeds by just putting them straight in the pots I’ll be growing them in. With old seeds or anything I don’t want to take any chances on it’s important to account for each of those issues and maintain the most ideal, and consistent, conditions possible.

Most people have heard of scarification. Usually using a file, matchbox with sand paper, or even a razor blade. Skip all that. Using regular 3% hydrogen peroxide solution softens the shell without risking damaging the seed while also oxygenating the presoaking solution and sterilizing the environment which is important for what is basically an immuno compromised new born. I believe the ratio is 2-3 milliliters per quart but confirm that. Whenever I’ve used it I’ve just looked the recommended ratio for general garden use with great results.

In the same presoak use humic acid and liquid kelp meal in a 5:2 ratio. The kelp supplements the depleted hormones and micronutrients from the seed. There’s a study that found that this specific ratio of humic acid to kelp increased root mass 50% over either product alone. I also use clonex liquid propagation formula in the same mix.

After germination in the solution they into a heavy hand towel folded over thick and soaked in the same solution. The towel helps make sure there’s enough moisture that they won’t dry out too much and still have good oxygen exposure. You can really dial in the perfect air/moisture ratio this way. If you can control the ambient air temp to keep the seeds in the mid to upper seventies you’re good. Otherwise use a propagation heat mat with digital thermostatic controller to maintain perfect temps. Last, keep them propped up to keep the towel perpendicular to the floor. You’ll need to keep the towel in a Ziploc bag to hold it’s form to do this. You’ll probably need to suck some of the air out if the bag to keep the towel from shifting around inside of it. It also keeps the moisture level consistent. This allows the taproot to continue straight down where seeds started using anything like the usual paper towel on plate method keep trying to turn the root 90° and make a crooked cork screw instead of what should be a deep tap root in a straight line.

Once ready to transplant I prefer to use a plain soil mix with minimal added nutrients and good drainage and aeration to help with root development. To settle the soil fill the pot most of the way and use water to do most of the work. Water it in until the loose soil floats up close to the top of the pot. Once most of the water drains and and the soil starts to settle press down just enough to keep the soil evenly settled without compacting it anymore than necessary to do this. Do the same process to fill it the rest of the way. This keeps the soil as loose as possible to allow for maximum air to the root zone and minimal resistance to the roots. Inoculate the soil at the same time you transplant and keep using the same 5:2 formula until you’ve got a a few sets of true leaves and a solid root system.

You’ll be shocked at how effective just using this formula is. I got 6% out of fifty seeds to start from an old batch without this and the next batch of twenty I got 105% because I miss counted and had an extra seed in the mix. It’s also important to know that you’ll be shocked at how fast they might grow. I expected less than average growth rate so I left them in the towel an extra day the last time and when I checked the next day they were way bigger than I like them to be when I transplant bare root seedlings. It’s basically the home diy version of how the ancient palm date tree seeds were started. There’s also some interesting information about germination promoting compounds being released or even created by wildfires and carried by smoke to encourage the new growth to come. That’s a whole other thing though.

16 Likes

Ill be bookmarking that. Thank You. Trying to sprout some old stuff this spring. Very soon actually. How old were your seeds? What a turn around. 6% to 100%. Hard to get much better!

2 Likes

Has anyone heard of starting seeds in compost tea? I never heard of it but in my mind it seems like it could work … i mean scarify first, then placed in lightly bubbling compost tea…with castings or vermicompost…

2 Likes

They were about twelve years old and spent most of that time sitting in a drawer in a sandwich bag so not exactly properly stored.

3 Likes

Thats what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

2 Likes

How do you make a 5:2 ratio? Seems like the kelp and humic can have different concentrations. I have some dry kelp… basically dried liquid kelp. But I’m not sure how I’d use it to match the ratio.

7 Likes