Landraces and heirloom

@Barefrog Thank you brother, if you want some seed from venezuela tell me and I’ll send you

regards

9 Likes

@Yaxu uve been trying to source a strain called cabeca de nego , aka bahia black head. Being that Venezuela is not to far from that area I thought you might be able to acquire them or have some Information on the subject

7 Likes

@Heritagefarms To be honest, I had never heard. Can you tell us about that variety?

3 Likes

I was supposed to be gifted some beans and they never arrived. I couldn’t find out alot of information besides it being called bahia black head, or the black one. There is a area called cabeza de negro in the Andean mountain system of Ica Peru it is a copper mining region. From what I have researched it may have been the sativa used to make white widow.

5 Likes

Ah ok, I have a Peruvian line, but from Santa Teresa, Cusco is a sativa with a long flowering.

19 Likes

That’s awesome I am border line obsessed with collecting land race and heirloom varieties, I have a few from south America, but am always trying to learn about and acquire more, that strain from cusco sounds interesting . Also realy that angola red , i have a few african strains but that one is getting rare, hope you have some of it preserved in pure form :grin:

3 Likes

I just wanted to thank Yaxu for making me so happy:-)

15 Likes

Hey man!

I received some beans from someone here on OG and they threw in some “cabeca de nego” (or something very much like that). I tried searching the interwebs and came up empty-handed. I assumed the baggie had spelling mistakes or something. So there they sit in a jar in my fridge with all my other beans. I’d be very interested to find out more about this strain.

10 Likes

I’m not sure if this will help, but “cabeça de nego” means “blackman’s head” in brazilian portuguese and bahia is a brazilian city, so it might be some brazilian strain, idk. I say this because cabeca is more similar to cabeça than cabeza and nego is a brazilian expression which means blackman. The name seems much more brazilian to me than spanish.
Edit: After a quick search for “cabeça de nego”, I ended up on a brazilian cannabis forum. https://www.growroom.net/board/topic/37565-sementes/
They say there that cabeça de nego was originaly an african strain brought by the portugueses during the colonization period, and it’s currently grown in the Bahia region or in the northeast in general. They also said it’s thought to be used in the white widow, as the brazilian sativa used in. Here’s a post from there
“a maconha brasileira, eh originaria de sativas africanas trazidas pelos escravos
apos ser cultivada durante alguns anos, a mae natureza fez com que essas geneticas nativas da africa se moldassem ao nosso clima…cabeca d nego, provavelmente eh o exemplar mais famoso e q contem as maiores caracteristicas com relacao a africana, isso pois ela se criou no NE e se mantem por la… assim como o manga rosa, q ja ouvi diversas versoes para a sua criacao…que seria a cruza de WW com colombian gold com uma sativa brasileira (cabeca de nego) e tbm ja ouvi falar q assim como a cabeca d nego, a MR eh uma sativa africana que ficou “popular” no brasil…”
I will translate it for you: Brazilian cannabis had her origins in african sativas brought by slaves (during portuguese control of Brazil)
After being grown during many years, mother nature adapted those african genetics to our climate… Cabeça de nego, probably is the most famous example and contains the most similarities to the african strains, she was created in the north east and she remained there… same like manga rosa, which I have already heard many versions for its creation… which was the cross of “white widow X colombian gold X cabeça de nego” , and I also heard that like cabeça de nego, manga rosa was an african sativa that became popular in brazil…"

two more translations “cabeca d nego, eh uma planta d origem africana cultivada no brasil, mais especificamente na Bahia, eh comum essa maconha ficar com uma coloracao bastante escura apos seca” - cabeça de nego is a plant with african origin grown in brasil, more specifically in bahia, it’s common that the flowers become dark after drying"

“QUE EU SAIBA DO BRASIL MESMO É O MANGA ROSA E O CABEÇA DE NEGO QUE O KC BRAINS CHAMA DE BAHIA BLACK HEAD” - From what I know, what’s from Brasil is manga rosa and cabeço de nego which KC Brains calls Bahia Black Head"
After that, I searched for that KC Brains and I got this:

https://kcbrains.com/shop/cannabis-seeds/regular-seeds/bahia-black-head/
seedsman also sell this bahia black head https://www.seedsman.com/en/bahia-black-head-feminised-seeds
This thread was about brazilian “landraces” but more particularly about manga rosa, that’s why it’s mentioned a lot here.

7 Likes

@cogitech you probably got them from the same person who tried to send me some, mine never arrived. If you have any extra I would love to trade.the above information posted by @SpikPT is about the sum of what I know of the strain. I spoke to the person in Canada who acquired the strain from a member on a different site originaly, and the strain was bred pure by them and then gifted to a few people. Congratulations on having those I would work on preserving them asap

6 Likes

I’ll have to see how many I have. I think it is like 3 or 4. If I have enough to send, I’ll do so. Otherwise perhaps I will run the ones I have and make some seeds to share (if I end up with at least one male and female each).

10 Likes

A preservation run defiently sounds in order :grin:

6 Likes

You are living my dream growing amazing outdoor sativas like these.

Makes my mouth water and my brain fear the high just seeing them.

2 Likes

this definitely sounds like a great candidate for preservation, and if you don’t get any males (or vice versa) you could always make hybrids.
I always heard that most of the south american landraces were originally african genetics introduced by the portuguese sailors. It’s interesting to hear that african genetics were also introduced in brazil and acclimatized into unique landraces there.

3 Likes

The “plan B” of hybrids occurred to me. If/when the time comes, I will need to choose some appropriate strains to grow so I have some pollen kicking around.

2 Likes

I am glad that they have arrived, that you enjoy them.

3 Likes

I do not have pure angola, the crossing with Goji OG was crossed by a friend.

2 Likes

We hope to see those Brazilian seeds, good luck with germination

2 Likes

Colombia Punto rojo x original haze F1 (aka Red Haze jeje)

free photo hosting

free photo hosting

free photo hosting

29 Likes

I’ve also heard a lot of speculation manga rosa comes from Angola red, which would make a lot of sense. But at this point are probably fairly distinct as a landrace if they came from Portuguese sailors.

6 Likes