Leaves drooping before lights out - stress?

I bet this would go away if you dimmed your lights (sunrise and sunset). Remember in nature the sun doesn’t turn on and off suddenly.

10 Likes

Mine is set at 10 min sunrise sunset and still see the droop not near as bad with having them just shutting off without that feature… maybe 20 mins dimming might eliminate that never tried it .

3 Likes

Interesting to note, I don’t normally pay attention to it anymore. I wonder how far red would effect this? :thinking:

I don’t really see it as a problem. I see it more as the plant slowing production and getting ready for bed.

6 Likes

That happens also to me and as long as they recover I don’t mind at all :sweat_smile:. They are on 20/4 so maybe it is just a too long journey for them … :sweat:

7 Likes

Iv noticed on both indoor and outdoor plants like @toastyjakes stated it’s normal Iv noticed almost like clockwork every day

2 Likes

Mine happens no sooner than the lights shut down

3 Likes

I think there just getting ready for bed…

Main thing I would wonder is how do they look right before the lights come back on after a dark period ? If the leaves are vertical then the plant was just preparing for lights out so it could metabolize and grow.
If they still look droopy right after lights on, after having a dark period , you have another problem. First thing i would think is moisture levels and / or low temperatures

5 Likes

They are going to sleep

Look up Understanding Daily Light Integral (DLI)

3 Likes

You said that’s not possible in hydro.

You’re kidding, right?
You may be surprised to know that over/under watering is possible even in hydro.

If your largest plant is drooping it’s not getting enough water relative to the other plants… if your smallest plant is drooping, it’s getting too much water.

The drooping leaves could be caused by insufficient oxygen at the roots or by absorption and over transpiration due to heat or lights that are too bright. .

Drooping is caused by overwatering.
Wilting is caused by underwatering.

The rest says before lights off. … meaning plants prepared for night cycle… They aren’t over or under watered, they are plants… Most plants do it, look it up

3 Likes

I sure in hell don’t over water, I water everyday judged by weight.
Been doing it this way for over 25 years

4 Likes

Funny, was talking about this the other day. When my room is set PERFECT…or perfect to my wants/desires…I will see the “droop” 1 -1.5 hours before lights out. When I do, I pretty much know I have pelted them with all the light they can handle. My runs come out excellent, and since I use the Octopots to water, and it is always dead nuts on, water has nothing to do with it.

I KNOW im in the minority, but MY FEELINGS are the plants need a dark cycle(in veg of course) and that 24/0 is not a good veg routine, nor 20/4. Just my opinion. Flame away

2 Likes

Its been proven, over and over again, that cannabis plants don’t need a dark cycle while in veg… they can run 24/0 with no problems whatsoever. If this wasn’t possible, ruderalis would not be able to exist.

Some of you need to try to separate your emotions from actual plant facts. You tell me I’m wrong, ok… what is the right answer then? Anyone?!

I’ve already read all the university findings on this subject, all the botanist reports/conclusions and all the horticulturist reports. Where did you get you information from?

I was not arguing with you @DesertGrown, just stating my thoughts. YOU have way more knowledge than i do about it all, I just go with my gut instincts I guess. My feelings are plants grow at night with the power they stored all day from the sun.
WHY I said MY FEELINGS…not knowledge…or for certain. Just my non scientific take on it.

2 Likes

So plants need no rest cycle ? Cuz all parts of the world that cannabis originated from has no dark period?

Interesting… link us to your university studies there bud

4 Likes

And now a noob question: what’s the difference between witing and dropping?

1 Like

I’m sure you guys will figure it out.

Cannabis stomata are opened/controlled via light intensity. Running 24/0 schedule will keep the stomata open resulting in the plant loosing too much moisture.
Running a really humid grow area will allow you to run 24/0 light schedule as the plant won’t need to close the stomata (they close during dark periods)
A bit of reading - https://theweedblog.com/growing/the-structure-and-function-of-stomata-on-a-marijuana-leaf

2 Likes

I gots to agree with @Jetdro
As in anything else in the living world everything needs some rest.
Promotes growth and health

1 Like

Wilting the leaves actually loose their natural shape.
Dropping the whole leaf along with stem acquire a bit of a bow to them as compared to actual shriveling like wilting.

2 Likes