Which LED light to order?

Hello everyone!!! Last time I was on overgrow was in the late 90s before it got shut down. I am happy to see it back up and running! I’m ready to get back into this wonderful hobby! Boy things have changed! Whats up with all this LED madness? They werent worth the time back then. Im trying to understand them, and how if it says its a 1000w but its pulling 110, but equivalent to a 250hps?? Its confusing snd everything I read they all say different stuff its like nothings consistent or non bias.
So I did order a 1000w Giixer. Any of y’all know about this one?? I was excited for it but it actually go lost in the mail and Amazon refunded my money!! Is this a sign? Was that light junk?? I saw a grow on youtube using one it looked like it did the job, but sounds like its just another “blurple”???
Anyways so I wanted to reach out to y’all for a helping hand…should I re order that light? What about the KingLED? Or the Viperspectra? I’m looking to spend 150-200 tops. Thank you all for any advice and I look forward to getting back into this again and sharing it with everyone here!

7 Likes

People are doing great things with quantum boards, and might just fit your budget.
What size grow space? How many plants, and how big?
Oh, and welcome back

7 Likes

I was thinking the same, I’ve got two HLG and they work great ATM … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

What’s pictured is the v3 that comes with lm301h diodes. They’re the top of the line right now. You can get the v2 with lm301b diodes for a lit cheaper but I’d go with the v3. Lights now a days last 10+ yrs so why not invest the extra 50$. It’ll save 100x that in efficiency over that time. Not even mentioning the increase in yield. Shipping for the 240 watt unit should be around 40ish. Yet 175$ out the door is still a crap ton cheaper then what you’ll find in the states (with the same diodes and driver).

4 Likes

Hardroc ya I forgot to add that detail! I’m thinking a 2x4 or a 3x3 with just a few plants to make some oils and whatnot. Its just for me and my girlfriend. I would like a light capable of a bigger grow area in case I upgrade.

2 Likes

George are those ones you build your own? I yet to read up on doinf it that way but sounds like its a better route if you know whst your doing?
Ski I agree I’m willing to spend more to get the better one. I can push to the 300 dollar range why not lol

2 Likes

Definitely check out kingbright then light comes pre assembled and you won’t find better cheaper. Buying through Alibaba is safe and secure as they work like PayPal and send your payment for you. Also they hold that payment till you actually receive your product. I got a refund from them twice without a hassle.

They are extremely easy to build (as I did :sweat_smile:) and the advantage for me is that you can add more if you go big. The leds are Samsung, quality materials in comparison of those cheapo chinese leds, a good option indeed … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I dont know if I’d trust having a frigile LED light shipped half way across the world, I’ll have to see if those lights are sold in the USA. I been looking at them. They only have white leds. Arent They supposed to have the blue and the red diodes? For the veg and flowering? As far as the kits go George I’ll need to really read up on them. Do they come as a complete kit? Or do you have to order each individual part? That I have no understanding how they work

v2 and v3 quantum boards do have added red 660nm diodes. Not a lot though bc plants benefit from a full spectrum. That’s why the industry has gotten away from blurple. I know kingbright has had stock in the US but idk if they currently do. I’ve had equivalent of 8 kits shipped with no issues. Won’t hurt to ask them. Here’s another option that you’d probably prefer. It’s not what I’d suggest yet it’s better then most and is fully assembled. https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Farmer-Commercial-Greenhouse-Hydroponic/dp/B07TVD1Y3K

1 Like

They come as a complete kit, not a PITA to mount … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Wow these are cool lights!!! I’m going to have to really look at these before I order one. Theyre just so confusing on how to pick them! HID lights have been configured perfectly space for light, there was no guess work what setup to build. But I dont want to deal with the excessive heat and elaborate exhaust systems to maintain. These LED lights just seem to be the way to go. Guys thanks for all this info! Any other info is great and will greatly be appreciated and I will gladly post and document this for all to enjoy! Man I missed this stuff so much!!

3 Likes

The blues and reds are in the spectrum produced by the white leds. The ratios may not be perfect but it does the job.

A little bit of green (our eyes are particularly sensitive to green) will quickly shift blurple (red+blue) into a whitish hue.

Take a look at this thread for some different spectra produced by some LED fixtures. Particularly look at the Fluence Vypr and Spydr spectrums which are mostly white LEDs and looks like white light.

Don’t be afraid of LED fixtures that produce a white spectrum.

3 Likes

Hey Northern, I just noticed 90% of the lights that pull up all have that purple color, I didnt know if that is because that’s whats best, or if thats just the bandwagon all these companies market off of. I do feel much better about being able to start again amd choose a better light. So those lights you shown me I could just get a handful of them and rig fixtures and use those?

2 Likes

The lamps in that thread with the spectrum plots are relatively pricey but the point being made is that the thinking today goes beyond simply targeting the chlorophyll-a and chlorophyll-b peaks.

(1)

The idea behind the blurples (red and blue) is to target the peak efficiencies in the above curves. Which will work and is based on some of the original work by McCree. McCree had shown the absorption of light as measured ex-situ the plant following the above plots have peak efficiencies in specific blue and red wavelengths. E.g. measuring the absorption on light by chlorophyll in a test tube (at a fairly low intensity).

Research over the years has strongly suggested that the matter is somewhat more complicated in-situ including the suggestion that green penetrates deeper into the leaves and further into the canopy. Same with far red (sometimes considered near-IR). There has been a significant amount of research since McCree that delves into other factors related to the use of a broad spectrum that could be beneficial. And, then there is the matter of the effect of overall intensity which can cause a whole host of other effects that “might” show additional benefits due to a broader spectrum. This is stuff that is being researched now.

This, along with the cost and the efficiencies in modern white phosphorescent LEDs, has led to fixtures that tend to target a more broad spectrum with some enhanced peaks around the blue and red. As a matter of fact, if you were to look closely at some of these “white” only fixtures, you’ll note that many of them have two different “color” temperatures of white LEDs. That is, some LEDs will be weighted towards producing a more red-ish white while the others produce more blue-ish white. Combine them together in a certain ratio and you’ll get something similar to the Fluence spectrums.

So some of the suggestions such a HLG, even if white, is actually closer to the current thinking and trends in the industry. Realistically, there is probably an even better/more efficient spectrum that might be more “pinkish” in color but those fixtures tend to be more pricey and harder to source (e.g. look at the Heliospectra plots, they’ll have a more pinkish white hue).

Just was trying to illustrate that you’ll still have the peaks in the blue and red regions (higher efficiency) along with some filling in of the broader spectrum on a horticultural white fixture. They just don’t look as purple to our eyes.

So HLG is a good options for a DIY situation. Solstrips also another DIY options. Fluence for a commercial or ready to go fixture is a good option. Albeit a bit more pricey. The MARs SP-250 actually appears to be a decent lower cost option as well although perhaps (as a single unit) a bit underpowered for the flowering stage. Blurple can be fine too but you’ll find that the more moderns fixtures that are more “white”, have the more modern LEDs, and as a whole tend to be more electrically efficient overall (without reviewing some of the available units, I’m kinda taken a swag on this last point). Much of this will come down to what budget you’re looking to put into your fixtures and other desires (some folk demand to DIY everything).

2 Likes

I run the HLG quantum boards. I have the 120’s and 132’s both of them work great for a 2x4 or 3x3 individually. Really easy to wire up and mount to some angle aluminum. They cost 2-250 each.

5 Likes

Hi Skiball,

happy new year to you ! I hope you started so smooth like I did…

I m looking for good quality LED s and have found this posting. Very useful informations !

Thank you for this…!

My growroom is 4x4 - how many of the above mentioned boards do I need ?

Thanks for your answer. Have a nice day !

Peace and flowers :peace:

:trident: fill_watertank :trident:

:helmet_with_cross:
:lifter:

:om_symbol:

Hi Georges,

happy new year, my friend !

My tent is 4x4 (120x120 cm)

How many of these boards would I need ?

Thanks for your answer !

PS. My tent is exploding right now… I need space. Have to trow out the males so the girls have more space to grow :wink:

Wish you a good new year and a nice day

fill_watertank
:om_symbol:

1 Like

I’m no light expert but while the blurple I bought worked just fine, I wish I never bought it. The quantum boards are not only more efficient, they run cooler and it is so much nicer to work under a natural colored light.
The advice I got was 30 watts/sq ft and it’s been working great for me. I got a 4 pack of 120 v2 boards and buy drivers as needed. I was kind of afraid of diy but it’s hard to even call them that. You just have to buy the appropriate driver and plug then in.

5 Likes

Rapid LED with the growmau5 pucks are working great for me. Other than that only thing I have to compare to is Mars Hydro (lol). There is no comparison, the choice is easy.

You get what you pay for.

1 Like