LED lighting style preferences

So, I’ve seen a few different styles of LEDs coming up in my amazon searches lately, and I’m wondering what people’s opinions are, and why?

These are 2 of the new styles I’ve been seeing…

The blurple on the bottom is not new.

3 Likes

True, that’s the old style, the top one is showing up more.

So, preference? I have 2 of the bottom style, I’m wondering what benefits the top one brings, or the strip style… Other than dimmability.

1 Like

Bar/stripights get you a better, more even light distribution and full spectrum lighting is better than the blurple spectrum. I use burple for my clones and it does a good job.

2 Likes

Huh, I’ve been using this style and been decently happy… Crap, more money to spend, hahaha

Full spectrum gives better growth and yield and is more energy efficient for the amount of light they produce, so less heat per lux. You won’t look back if you go that route.

1 Like

The light from blurples is hideous to look at

8 Likes

Can confirm the hideousness!

8 Likes

Blurple is a trash spectrum. I was growing Venus flytraps and Cephalotus under them and after about 3-4 months all the green chlorophyll was bleached out and the plants where solid red with anthocyanan and were declining rapidly.

Same exact strip lights, full spectrum:

5 Likes

I’ve definitely taken my fair share of those brutal pics, and the gorgeous colours never look the same…

The big one I have right now does a decent job of filtering it out somehow 🤷2024-01-18--11-55-09

3 Likes

Wow, holy shit

1 Like

This is the one I picked up a couple years ago, it’s still doing a good job, but I’m wondering if I’m missing out :grin:

2 Likes

It’s so 2009, lol
What am I saying, I still use HPS :laughing:

3 Likes

That light isn’t bad at all, it has Samsung diodes, full spectrum etc. tbch I doubt you are missing a whole lot. I do love my bar/strip lights and there’s some real cheap options nowadays for great lights too but I wouldn’t stress over it too much, I also use a complete mishmash in my one tent, including a blurple from 2007 that’s still going, actually all 4 are but they suck

1 Like

The aglex top picture is just rebranded chinese leds. Ive got one for mood lighting. As for the purple mars, that light spectrum is really difficult to id any plant problems or pests and brings nothing new to the table. It also hurts your eyes.

I wasn’t meaning that specific light, more the style of lights… There’s also the strip lights that look like a big H…

From all the documentation from the blurple lights I’ve bought, and read online, blue is the ideal grow light range and red is ide for budding… From what I’ve read, plants don’t use much else of the light range…?

About hurting your eyes though, lol, yeah I can definitely vouch for that, hahaha

1 Like

There a man called Shaun who has the migro channel on youtube he has done evaluation on dozens of lights with PAR readings and explains very well the differing light spectrums, their actions/interactions with the plants and has rated the most popular grow lights available for efficiency, cost and efficacy. Its worth a watch.

2 Likes

My opinion on all this:

Blurples were created because, generally speaking, my understanding is that blue and red LEDs are cheapest to manufacture, and so therefore a combo of them is the cheapest/most efficient way of flowering a plant under lights. Not just growing, but specifically flowering.

Full spectrum/“white” LED lights are more geared toward the full experience (being able to clearly view the growing area, plant progess and problems etc) and overall is MUCH easier on your eyes, albeit still damaging without protection or dimming. Other spectrums are thrown in (UV, far red, etc) and the overall efficacy of them seems to continually change and be studied.

blue photons inhibit cell expansion
green photons facilitate human vision
red photons efficient photosynthesis
far red photons enhance cell expansion
current mad hatter of light and plants is dr Bruce Bugbee Utah state you tube apogee instruments he only focuses on Cannabis hemp and maryjane