Made some tote sips, going to try organic

This is the best detailed thread I have read in a while, great fucking job bro, do u own a 3D printer?

1 Like

Thanks! Nope no 3d printer. Just a 27 gal tote, cutting up the top lid, a little corrugate drain pipe with a bit of fabric pot on the end to keep the dirt in, some cans and zip ties. Someday maybe I’ll grab a 3d printer. I bet I would have a lot of fun with that.

2 Likes

I hate to tell ya but aluminum is toxic to plants.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

@cannabissequoia beat me to it but I would worry about the cans in there. Might be fine but I’d go with better safe than sorry and have utilized pieces of pvc myself

2 Likes

Love the journal, the detail and the ingenuity my friend, TRULY DO! this gives me several ideas tbh

1 Like

Did someone say 27 Gal SIP?
You got my attention!

You may want to take a peek over at @CrunchBerries post below. There a bunch of SIPers over they and I am sure they would love to see your beautiful SIP grow.
Nothing like having other SIP growers tagging along.

Can’t wait to see your journey! :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Hey @Magrowers,
I like your SIP design! I’m about to plant in some 27 gal’ers also. I’ll be following along with your journey. Thanks again @Maddawg for the shoutout! Feel free to stop on by and share your designs and experiences. The more the merrier!

3 Likes

Ahh shit. Thanks for letting me know. I’ll have to figure something else out. And I thought I was being super smart. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out guys I appreciate it. Looks like I have some messy work to do. I’m super glad I know this now rather than later.

4 Likes

www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/aluminum-in-garden-soil.htm

I couldn’t find much except research papers in a quick internet search… & there probably aren’t any pics of weed with “aluminum-itis” :sweat: in any of the plant diagnosis guides…

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

what about those plastic bed risers? I think they may be just barely taller than a soda can? like 5 or 6in or so tall.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea. I have a bunch of old buckets from dwc. I can get 3 rings at “can” height. 2 rings per tote. The rings will be huge too so I think it will be as supportive as the fans. So I can sacrifice 3 buckets to give it a shot (I think it will work well) it not I’m going to check out those risers vs pvc.

3 Likes

@Magrowers i had forgotten that I had started following your sip journey here. How do you like this design so far?

1 Like

Love it! By far the healthiest plants I have grown & much less watering maintenance. Just had some build-a-soil craft blend delivered.

Here are the last pics

Soulmate - 14 days from flip

Towne crier, AJ sour diesel and moose and lobster. This is by far the worst canopy I have had in years… But honestly whatever. The moose won’t yield as good as it usually does. Everything is super healthy. It’s been an easy grow.

5 Likes

Im curious, Did you replace the cans and what did you use instead? They look super nice!

2 Likes

Looking good, got me sip curious now for sure.

2 Likes

Yep just used some drain pipe instead! Easy enough. Although I debated doing that. Turns out that aluminum really doesn’t corrode under normal circumstances. (Especially with the interior coating and the paint on the outside on cans) You would need low ph in the 4s for it to start and breakdown into a form that might be plant absorbable. Most of the time it just oxidizes a ultra hard protective patina a few atoms deep and sits there. But why risk it and ruin a batch of soil amiright!

3 Likes

Exactly my thought, especially with Cannabis’ ability to uptake basically everything in the soil. It would always be on the back of my mind.

Nice call, seems very simple to use that instead as well. Not quite a cheap though lol. Lovely garden :peace_symbol:

1 Like

I know right! And now I have to cut the right height too. Ohh well just a bit more work.

1 Like

Are you using LABS or another microbial inoculate in your reservoir? They have ph’s in the 3-4ish range and would corrode the aluminum.

2 Likes