Making a dry sift hash tumbler (also likely perfect for dry ice hash tumbling)

Hi y’all

Some time back, I’ve taken the time to build my own hash tumbler. These tumblers were originally invented for pollen collection, hence them being sold online as “pollen tumblers”. They turn rather slowly (iirc about 3 rpm) as they rely on the falling motion of the leaf, knocking the trichomes loose as the flowers or leaves hit the inner surface of the mesh drum. For this reason it is important that the mesh screen be stapled to the drum as tight as you can get it, so it has some tension in the drum surface where the leaf can smash it’s mass into, instead of the leaf being gently caught by a flimsy safety net. Just so we are all on the same page on what we are doing here.

For the outer box, I used scrap bits n pieces of wooden boards I had laying around, so it’s not much of a looker. It gets the job done perfectly though! I’ll roughly explain how I put mine together, but do MacGyver your way through your leftover bits n pieces to make this work your way!

The screen material is just simple printing cloth; you can use several drums with different mesh sizes for different strains if you like. Printing screen cloth doesn’t always come in “mesh” sizing, so you might need a converting table to get the numbers on your order right. I know I did.

Sativa and outdoor will often have smaller trich heads, so you will need a smaller mesh size.
Hybrids can go either way, and it’s not necessarily in line with how the bud affects you.
Indica and indoor tends to have larger trichomes.

These are general guidelines and far from always true.

The ideal mesh size for most people would be somewhere between 50 and 90µ, this will get most of the trichomes out for all strains without allowing too much other debris to fall through.

You CAN run it all through one mesh size, which is what I do. In that case, IMO, it’s best to go with a medium mesh size like 70µ, which will generally leave you with a very nice high quality dry sift. I am more an Indica type of guy, and IIRC, I went with 65µ, which is small for the type of bud I like most, but I figured if it was too small I could always step one up, and I’d rather have a bit more patience to obtain higher quality than speed things up in expense of it, which I think is what a bigger mesh size would do.

The drum is made from 2 circular discs of MDF wood, with 3 slits cut out of the circumference, that hold the bars keeping the right distance between the outer discs.

One of these discs then has an access port cut out from the middle. This cut out circle is then glued onto another bigger circle creating a lid. The lid is held in place by some other bits crafted from leftover wood. Attach the bits with 1 screw each in the right place so you have a nice locking mechanism. In the middle of the port, a socket cap screw can function as the axle.

It might have been better to make the discs out of pine wood as the MDF shows quite some stress from the stapling of the cloth. It holds though, so I soldiered on.

The bars: 2 of the bars are cut from plywood, 1 from solid wood, as you need to be able to staple the mesh cloth to the third bar. The bars are 1.5 inch high, long rectangles, only with a little corner cut out of each end, to keep the discs’ distance. The corner that’s cut out is the same depth as the thickness of the discs, so it fits nicely in the slits that you cut out of the circumference of the circles. The bars all need to be about 1 - 1.5 inch in height, as they not only serve to keep the shape of the drum, but also as blades to allow an efficient motion of the plant matter.

The motor, rated for 10 rpm, I found online, just like the power supply for it. The 8mm axle has a beechwood gear on it, that drives a larger gear, also made of beechwood. The gears were made by glueing a gear template made with some online gear calculator on top of the wood, taking a jigsaw roughly around the circumference, then drilling the hole in the small gear for the grub screw that secures it to the axle, followed by drilling out the female parts in both the gears’ teeth with a drill stand mount (a bench drill would be better of course but I make do) and then using a jigsaw to carefully saw the male parts of the teeth, turning the gears around afterwards and using both gears, the jigsaw, a few files and some sanding paper to create a relatively smooth running gearwork.

Both ends of the drum have an axle end piece that’s really no more than a socket cap screw that ends up in a hole in one end and a screw-in holder on the other. There would be other ways to do this of course, like having a U-shaped spot to lay the axle ends in. That would have actually been easier probably but hey, hindsight’s 20/20.

I have yet to use this with wet material and CO2 (dry ice) pellets, which should theoretically also work, as long as you work it all in freezing temperatures, meaning, run it in the freezer! I have heard of this turning into a mess rather easily though, so do take care not to let anthing thaw, and when done, to let all materials dry sufficiently. The dry ice will not render any moisture, but the fresh frozen will if you let it.!

IMG_20211003_143518|666x500

34 Likes

…You machined out your own wooden gear drive…
:clap: :sunglasses: :+1:

Right NICE!

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Awesome. Need one of these. :beers:

2 Likes

I could run this 4 months of the year in the outdoor freezer. :+1: something for my wish list.

4 Likes

hahaha, good one!

Hey you guys got a thread where you can do a pic dump style show off of past grows?

1 Like

We won’t complain if you start a thread to show them off. I stuck the first two years in my current thread, nobody complained.

1 Like

how much do you think that drum weighs all together? a power window motor might be sufficient to turn it.
all in all that’s a great design and fine craftsmanship.

1 Like

The weight of the drum itself? Not that much! It’s a really small motor that’s meant to keep turning for days on end.

Motors are made to do very specific jobs. A power window motor is meant to do a powerful job a very short amount of time and then stop doing that, then return to it’s original position. I’m not saying it can’t work, but I am saying it might be better to check out what the cost is for a motor that fits the bill as these are very small and don’t cost you an arm and a leg. I think in the US these items are a lot cheaper even.

The motor you need here is one that makes a very specific amount of rounds per minute, but that can keep going for days without heating up much, and that has non toxic oils as lubricants. You can find these items online if you’re just willing to look, and they really don’t cost all that much.

3 RPM could easily be done too if you modify the design to have no gears by mounting the motor straight onto the lid, which is a bit weird at first sight perhaps but it would allow skipping the laborious step of creating the gears. This motor fits in my hand, so would the 3 rpm probably as they are made with little converter boxes on top of the actual motor, and the closed off gearbox inside comes with plenty foodsafe jelly lubricant inside, if you order the right one. It’s about as big as a small but chompy dick, and considering, if you build this the right way, this machine will probably last you most of your lifetime, I’d say it’s worth looking for the right tool for the job, for the few bits and pieces that really best be right.

6 Likes

That is :fire: love the craftsmanship, outer box be damned. Seriously really freakin sweet :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I made and used one very similar many moons ago. I used an electric BBQ spit to turn it though. Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Yeah, no one complained, but we talked about you behind your back. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Darn. And I thought those were voices in my head.

1 Like

You could easily incorporate a NEMA stepper motor, driver and even an ESP32 board which would allow you to control the speed of the motor thru a blynk sketch. So essentially using an app on your phone to control the speed, From 1rpm to whatever your motor can turn at, infinite steps in between. Super simple project for controlling a nema motor with blynk app, plenty of tutorials on YT for that. Wouldn’t be expensive either, $10-$20 total I’m thinkin

I’d do the nema motor because they are made to deal with some torque, and can be pretty powerful.

Only thing I would modify then is a 3D printed ring gear in place of your gears. Well, pulley/gear (I’d run a belt for my driveline). But its impressive as all hell that you’ve done the gears in wood, and you might be able to use a nema motor to drive it as is…

edit if you did a NEMA motor, you NEED the drive and control, its not just a DC motor. theres 4 (or more) wires coming from them, powering two coils. its a referenceable motor…

2 Likes

Wow! Impressive work man! I thought I was decent a woodworking, but I feel humbled now. :yum::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

sorry bout this, bye.

1 Like

whoa there… I deal with all kinds of little motors, and some of those little ones would struggle. Sorry if I figured I would toss in an alternate way. Guess ya dont wanna hear it…

To me, all of what I mention I could assemble in 15 mins with crap I got laying around, so I guess I dont think its all that complicated… and I’m no electrical engineer either… Clearly you don’t know 3D printed shit either, but I’m not about to educate you there… I only have a farm of them here…

I’ll bow out of this thread now. no need to continue my input here. have a nice day man, sorry to ruffle your feathers.

I have heard that same electrical bbq motor idea being used before! It was in the Netherlands, and also many moons ago, not you perhaps? :stuck_out_tongue:

BBQ motors really have a good speed, and also the right type of torque, and also meant to run long hours, so that’s a solid winner as for a motor.

2 Likes

Like I said, might be my depression, sorry if I came off a bit harsh, I probably did, should probably gtfo for a while. Sorry!

4 Likes

Very nice work. I’m a woodworker, but also a lazy git, I bought this thing!

It was called a pollen/seed extractor… riiiiight :wink:

10 Likes

im sending off all my outdoor to a friend who is gonna dry sieve it and press it into rosin. I suffer from a lower back injury and cant even trim it so bucking it and sending it to him.

3 Likes