Mephisto 3 Bears OG Top Feed Recirculating Hydroton Journal

I noticed that the drain was sorta plugged again… she was all flooded…

I tilted her toward the drain and then suddenly she was draining fine and got unflooded… It’s real weird…

Are the roots mucking up the drain inside already?

I read it was a good idea to use painters mesh around the drain inside to keep hydroton from falling out, but something seems not right in there.

This is one of those things that i noticed using clay pebbles is that i have trouble with the drains… The roots either run out of the drain or clog it up… Tricky

I’m open to any ideas if anyone has :grin: I might end up drilling holes in the bucket just like my last grow lol…

Poor design is probably going to require me to drill some holes in this bucket and move her into the flood and drain tent.

There is something blocking the drain on the inside and i have no access to it…

I find working with clay pebbles surprisingly difficult outside of dwc. At least in small 1 gallon pots like these, the roots will quickly thwart any clever plans of water going in or out.

For now I am manually draining her by turning the drain and releasing the sealed gasket on the inside.

Day 27:

I think I got the drain issue sorted for now. I had drilled a whole in it when I put it together so air would get in the drain easier and air prune the roots. I’m using a zip tie to “snake” that drain and it’s been clear for days now.

Canopy really even using just leaf tucking and pinching stems, day 27:

6 Likes

Day 35, she is stretching and starting to flower.
No issues with drain for 2 weeks.
Minor burned tips that I caught quick, EC stable at 1.1 using dyna gro nutes.
pH at 5.8 and somewhat stable.

7 Likes

Looks to be quickly filling up that space. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

Yea she filled the space perfectly, should yield well. Sucks about the drain, but at least it’s because the roots are so vigorous…not the worst problem to have!

2 Likes

@beacher @ReikoX @Howard.Crane

Hey guys,

I’m actually noticing a lot of leaf edges curling up.

Temps are 70-73 and humidity is 41%. Some of the tips of the leaf edges are brown like they were nute burned but I’m not sure that’s the issue… It’s very minor so I can’t seem to photograph it. When I changed nutes she got burned but normally I dont see leaf edge tips turn brown unless the nute burn is substantial and this was pretty minor and caught quickly.

Any ideas?

Lots of leaf edges curling up…

4 Likes

Strange. People say they can do that due to heat issues sometimes, but 70-73 is definitely cool enough. The plant looks perfectly healthy otherwise, so it might just be a genetic thing…

1 Like

Im going to try and get the temps and humidity a little higher. I raised and dimmed the light some to give her some room to figure it out… Guess we’ll see what happens :slight_smile:

Might be the cobs, they make my plants do some wonky looking things as far as twisting and turning. I use 3000k and 80 cri from start to finish so that might also be part of what causes it… Not sure yet… Thanks for taking a look here bro, I appreciate it!

3 Likes

I’ve gotten something similar growing under cob led lights in low humidity. I doubt that’s the only thing that can cause those symptoms, but I’m pretty sure that’s the only time I’ve experienced it personally. I’ve tried several different grow styles and nute regimens, and humidity always seemed to be the one consistent factor for me. Seems like powerful LEDs run close to the canopy can drive the plants harder than their capacity to transpire, perhaps. Every time I’ve gotten close to ideal VPD numbers, the plants looked almost perfect.

1 Like

Sounds right to me man, humidity was about 40% would dip lower. I raised the light and dimmed it and managed to get humidity up another 5%… Hopefully she’ll blow right past this :grimacing:

2 Likes

Day 41, I’ve never used more Mg in my life and still seeing deficiency… Using CaliMagic by GH at 5ml per gal and also using MagPro by DynaGro at 2ml per gal… Can’t seem to stop it and I don’t feel comfortable pushing any more additives. The base dynagro bloom nutes have plenty Mg as well.

Modest amounts of potassium in all the bottles I’m using so I don’t think it’s a lockout.

I’m pretty religious about pH and I calculate my meter with 2 points every other week. Rez has been solid between 5.7 and 6.1 so I dunno wtf her deal is.

Humidity is steady 50% all week and temps about 73-75.

On top of that I’m skeptical about her structure. Lots of paper clip thin branches coming off the main branches. I’ve pruned off about as many as I could and there ain’t much plant left…

Let’s see what she does lol :smile:

5 Likes

Day 49 from sprout

Probably at least 40 days to go.

Seems like a lot of autos get bigger than I’d like in hydro and this one is definitely there.

She is 30 inches tall, and that’s max height I have without getting clever with light mounting etc. I think she is done though with vertical growth. Have measured a few days in a row and things seem to have stopped or slowed greatly in that direction.

The K or Mg def is taken care of and she is looking good and healthy.

12 Likes

Theeey looook Maaahvelous!

Nice plants… :smile:

EDIT:
roger-dodger… I’ll keep watchin’ :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks man! Hoping things are on cruise control now… Let’s see how fast she buds up :+1:

2 Likes

Beautiful work my friend

2 Likes

Wow you finally satisfied the mag hog lol. Looks like she’s using it all to cob up now :pig2:

1 Like

56 days since sprout.

Checked the wattage today using a meter and my light is dimmed to pull 70 watts right now. Not a lot of watts for a 2x2… She seems happy with it, maybe it’s because the light runs 20 hours a day.

She suddenly STINKS like a skunk and a dumpster. Skunkster.

At least I know my carbon filter is working. No smell until you open the tent and then OOF… She gets ya…

Very happy with Dynagro nutes so far. More pH stable than cyco or GH and plant looks real healthy.

Running base (Foliage Pro and Bloom) plus Mag Pro and Protekt.

Good luck in your gardens!

6 Likes

Looking good!

I’ve read a lot of good stuff about Foliage Pro, might give it a try one of these days.

2 Likes

I like the simplicity for sure. Hard to find a good 1 part nutrient that is liquid. I tried Flora Nova before and it works, but the consistency sucks to work with. It’s thick like mud.

1 Like