Mephisto 3 Bears OG Top Feed Recirculating Hydroton Journal

Day 62 from sprout. Leaves a little burnt possibly from over feed, high rez temps a couple days ago, or lighting too intense. Everything resolved now, should be ok.

Did rez change and cut out foliage pro. Just using bloom 1 part nutrient with mag pro and pro tekt. EC a bit lower now, much less N.

Also she has a nice artificial lime smell. Really stinky skunk, lime is more subtle but still very vivid.

5 Likes

70 days since sprout. Some light stress and minor nutrient burn have scarred her pretty face… She is doing ok.

5 Likes

Just to finish this up, I chopped her at day 90, which was a few weeks ago. She has been curing about a week and a half.

67 grams from 50 watts of light, not the greatest, but she was a bit of an experiment.

Had to use a foot long drill bit to get the drain unclogged a couple times toward the end. Am having better luck with my flood and drain setup using 1 gal hydroton so will probably stick to that. Maybe 1 more grow with rockwool before I settle on a method…

The smoke is pretty indica, mellow but not sedative until you go overboard.

The terps is really where she shines… Lemon gasoline coffee and rotten fruit. She reminds me of a beer I had once that was fermented using wild yeast… Hard to describe, but the smells are similar.

These were taken about day 80. You can see where light burned her pretty good:

Chopped her 10 days later, tried to get a picture outside the tent but she had bird bones… Stems all hollow so she fell over:

Chopped:

Drying:

Filled 4 jars:

Some nugs:

Thanks for stopping by and good luck in your gardens!

5 Likes

One thing I noticed I learned in this grow is to watch out for serrated edges curling up. That means the light is too intense.

I record light intensity every time I visit my garden. This is the form I fill out:

I record a few things including pH and EC.

She got light burned around December 27th when I had the avg lux at canopy approaching 25k:

If you look at the Tlux values in the sheet, you can see I took the lux down to 18k average by January 1 and she stopped getting worse.

I’m running another plant now and noticed the serrated edges this time right away:

The serrated edges started when I tried to take her from avg 30k lux to 36k lux, and this time I immediately went back to 30k avg.

I’m also liking my DIY flood and drain setup better as I don’t have to deal with the drain clogging.

I’ll probably stick to FnD from here forward as it’s simpler. :+1:

4 Likes

If I ever do hydro again, it will be F&D. Almost too easy for me. I gave all my hydro stuff to my brother, and he is killing it!

4 Likes

hmm have you tried adding more magnesium? When those serrated edges start taco-ing up like that and heat is not the issue, I just give her some plain epsom salts(like 1/4tsp per gallon) and they flatten back out within an hour or so and look great after that. Then I just add it at every res change.

1 Like

Interesting that your plants respond so quickly to Mg in this case.

Im not sure why that would be magnesium deficiency though? When I’ve had it previously it manifests as yellowing between veins, especially in lower leaves.

I use MagPro as part of my feed schedule to provide extra Mg on top of using DynaGro and Bloom. Also her rez is above 2.0EC so I think it’s unlikely she is deficient, but wouldn’t rule it out. :thinking:

Great looking plants…

FnD really has a lot going for it:

• No cleaning drippers or drip rings like in drip systems
  • Not as big a worry about rez temps as DWC
  • Can easily take plants in and out of the system for pruning/pictures or removing a diseased
  • No airstones or air pump necessary
  • Can change rez, or adjust pH without touching plant roots (unlike dwc)

Downsides:

• Eats a lot of height
  • If the single pump fails, it’s potentially catastrophic
  • Algae in the flood tray (I use Zone to keep this at bay)

So far it’s my favorite system. I’m going to do a grow in large rockwool cubes next, run to waste, and then decide which method I enjoy enough to focus on.

2 Likes