DTW Coco Automatic Irrigation

Just seeing what everyone is using. Was going to go with hydro halos but they are almost $7 per.

1 Like

I was gonna run open end 1/4 lines, or drip stakes and I also got some shrubblers that are adjustable. Do you have a landscape supply store nearby. I see a lot of people using netafim stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah this is what I went with. Got some floraflex octa bubblers with the insertable flow regulators. 2,6,10,20gph I think. Floraflex is expensive. Those two were $30.

Then I picked up some 1/2" pvc, elbows, tees, male adapters, ball valves (to sort of balance the two bubblers) and a union to break the system free more easily. Actually going to have to pick up some more unions being due to the room constraints.

Running this through vent holes from one tent into the other and the tents are butted up close to each other with only 6" of clearance between one tent and the wall. No way I would be able to snake this manifold out.

3 Likes

Are those octabubblers like the rain bird ones from Home Depot? The floraflex brand is geared towards weed instead of a big ag brand like netafim. I went with the black 1/2 drip tubing with 90’s out of the res. Then the 1/4 in line off that. I held them in place with binder clips. Those work really well. I had one odd size pot that was larger so I put two drip lines on it. I need to be able to block lines also in case I don’t flower or veg as many all the time.

I had to hook mine up in the 3 hours before I left for two days. I did one tent the night before luckily. The shrubblers only dripped and it seemed to take forever so I cut them off and ran open lines of the 1/4 stuff. I hooked them up to a smart socket and have been watering from two hours away. Gotta love technology. We will see tomorrow night if tents flooded or pots are dry. The minute intervals is too much so I switch socket on for 15-20 seconds and then shut off. I saw it has an inching setting that will turn it off after a set time after it’s been turned on. I will play with that this week.

If you have a pic I’d love to see it. I’ll post mine up this week when I’m back. It’s gonna be nice to finally be automated.

2 Likes

I use a 1/2" riser from pump to an Orbit 8 port manifold with 1/4" lines running to each plant. I leave em open at the end and a binder clip like @MidwestMover to hold them in place.

The floraflex stuff always looked appealing to me though, but the price tag was offputting when I run 16 or more plants at a time. I’m sure they’re gonna kick ass for you.

How is everyone dealing with waste water? I just let mine collect in a tote beside my reservoir and dump it every couple days.

3 Likes

Where did you get that manifold? I’m working on an automated vertical hempie grow, I think that might save me a lot of hassle. Do they have a 12 hose one?

Found one! I love this site, I was going to just pump up to a bucket with a bunch of 1/4 lines caulked through holes in the bottom.

Go OG!

I stole the idea from you and the binder clips from my wife. I’m just using a old Folgers can and emptying it daily. I had to lower the tray in my smaller tent and it’s a hassle to empty.

If I had a floor drain I’d run it to that. I see some of the bigger growers use a condensate pump to get it somewhere else.

1 Like

This website has a lot of good stuff for ideas.

2 Likes

This is what I did today in 2 hrs. About 10 minutes of that flushing out my mouth and face as I flicked a drop of pvc primer on my lip lol.

Got a union just above the lid. A union just as it enters the tent on the right and another union just as it enters the tent on the left. Got the bubblers in the center of each tent. Will drill a tiny hole near the top of the riser just under the lid to act as a vacuum breaker. If the 20gal barrel is too small ill drill a hole for a bulkhead and hook another 20gal or larger up to it. I have an 800GPH pump in the barrel.

Going to drill a bulkhead into the bottom of the tables. Another table will go into the tent to the right and route some poly tubing to the grate to drain. Will ziptie the tubing to the pvc.

2 Likes

Binder clips are a good idea! I already bought stakes though. But I can steal some from work for the verticals.

1 Like

What res pumps are you guys using? Can’t seem to get enough flow with my choices.

1 Like

I have a few to choose from. Currently trying 800GPH. But if thats not enough i have a 1000GPH

The manifold is called an Orbit Dripmaster Apollo, it can be had on Amazon for $15 less. They have a 4 and an 8 port. The 8 port has adjustable flow rates for each port which is handy, and if you wanted 12 you could add tees to some of them and use the flow control to balance things.

1 Like

I’ve never needed more than 400gph for most of my setups. It really depends on how big your riser is and how high your pump can rise. For my 8 port manifolds 400gph pumps with a ~16 inch rise give a nice even flow.

So, im planning on going up about 5 feet, point me to a pump on amazon that I won’t be pissed off about in a month.

I’m going on a week vacation at the end of the month and want to be able to just add water to a bucket before I leave and not have to worry

1 Like

.433 PSI for every vertical foot or 1lb per 27in.

So 5 x .433 is 2.165 psi. So 2.165 x 27in is 58inches. So look at pump curves. Thata 4.8ft of head.

These are the hydrofarm ones. As you see the more head pressure the less flow.

2 Likes

The ecoPlus and the Hydrofarm I’ve seen recommended a lot as reliable units. All 3 of my pumps are random chinese 400gph and they all have worked well for years but I’ve never tried to pump em any higher than a couple feet, although they are rated for higher if I recall.

1 Like

I was eyeballing this. I was thinking about 5’ of pex as my lifter and then this

At the top to get the water to my plants. Run it on a timer, 1 minute on 3 or 4 times a day. Then I have a 1.5 gallon collection vessel at the bottom to collect run off. All my tubs are plumbed together for drainage.

1 Like

This is the pump im using. But I m only going up 30inches

2 Likes

If you’re leaving for a week, you might need a bigger reservoir and a catch bin for runoff that’s at least 50% the volume of your reservoir to prevent flooding and the likes.

1 Like